New Monitor - what's good now?

Terial

Trakanon Raider
So, with the new PC i got, i decided not to get a monitor... i can't tell you what i currently have but i can tell you that it's about 10 years old (HDMI though).
I want to buy a new monitor finally, however the tech for them has changed a bit since i looked last.
Currently i have an nvidia 2080, and i want to get a monitor that can take advantage of that, curved is possible not but required. I don't want to break the bank, maybe $500 or less. I figure it may be a good weekend for this since there labor day weekend sales.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated or even what to look for when looking, seems there is 4K, UHD, G-Sync, Freesync. IPS ... etc...etc...
thanks all!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Probable get better responses in this thread, can usually find up to date info on stuff in the last few pages:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Look into Nvidia's Freesync compatibility mode. You're not getting a decent Gsync monitor for under $500, especially not if you want ultrawide (which imo is the only way to go for PC gaming these days).

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Look into Nvidia's Freesync compatibility mode. You're not getting a decent Gsync monitor for under $500, especially not if you want ultrawide (which imo is the only way to go for PC gaming these days).

Thanks for the knowledge, been reading up and watching stuff on GSYNC and i think i found one that seems pretty good, it's one of the 12 that passed NVIDIA's gsync testing as well.
Acer XZ321Q

Also apologies for the wrong thread, i honestly did not even know the other one existed.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That badass dell monitor is on sale for half off right now. I just got my 2nd for 350

Yeah this is a great monitor for hardcore low latency gaming. Color/gamma takes a lot of tuning though and the viewing angle is horrid.

If you have a multimonitor setup, I would suggest using the U2717D or U2719D for the side monitor(s) because while not being high refresh rate they are IPS and have similar infinityedge slim chassis.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
That badass dell monitor is on sale for half off right now. I just got my 2nd for 350

my confusion is that what i can find is that while some monitors say GSYNC they are did not pass nvidias gsync testing.
from my research only these 12 did.... now, maybe i'm doing shitty research
1567188742531.png

I am no considering the Asus MG278Q from that list, but i am very curious as to the monitor you suggested that's on sale right now.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Those are just monitors nvidia "approved" but people have been testing everything on there own and posting results on reddit:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
my confusion is that what i can find is that while some monitors say GSYNC they are did not pass nvidias gsync testing.
from my research only these 12 did.... now, maybe i'm doing shitty research
View attachment 221190

I am no considering the Asus MG278Q from that list, but i am very curious as to the monitor you suggested that's on sale right now.

I don't know what that list represents in comparisson but I can tell you that with gsync enabled on this monitor there is no tearing and I cannot tell that I have low FPS unless I dip into the teens. It's that smooth. However, I have no other monitors to compare against, but this one blew my gd mind so I bought another after waiting a year for it to go on sale again.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I don't know what that list represents in comparisson but I can tell you that with gsync enabled on this monitor there is no tearing and I cannot tell that I have low FPS unless I dip into the teens. It's that smooth. However, I have no other monitors to compare against, but this one blew my gd mind so I bought another after waiting a year for it to go on sale again.

The list comes from one of the videos i watched about Gsync (since i never even heard of it till this thread)

i am still doing research and the Dell monitor is now in my list as well :)

I just don't want to rush and grab any ol monitor, i figure whatever i buy will be with me for a long ass time

spronk

FPS noob
I had the Dell 2716DG for about 2 years, its not bad but the panel I believe is VA so colors don't "pop", it worked just fine but its like the difference going from 4k TV to LG OLED (I have an OLED attached to my PC too).

I picked up an Alienware 34" for $550, it goes on a deep discount once every 3-4 months (just add an alert on slickdeals for AW3418DW) and super happy with it

I've heard there is a similar high quality LG 34" freesync monitor that is basically gsync compatible now that is as good or maybe slightly better, not sure the exact model and stuff but I'm pretty happy with the alienware, at the time the LG was $200 more so it wasn't a tough choice. I replaced two monitors with the single Alienware.

Things I REALLY wanted in a new monitor when I was thinking about changing earlier this year:

HDR at least 1000 nits
gSync or at least good freeSync nvidia compatible
2560x1440, that feels ideal to me as 4k requires a better GPU than I have for newer games
IPS panel preferred

I could get 3 of the 4 but not HDR, there just aren't any great HDR panels under $2k yet afaik. Maybe another 1-3 years? The Alienware is 3440x1440 so not exactly 2560 but I haven't had huge issues with games (turn down some settings), although I will have to upgrade from a 1080ti to something else early next year I think to properly play Cyberpunk.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The list comes from one of the videos i watched about Gsync (since i never even heard of it till this thread)

i am still doing research and the Dell monitor is now in my list as well :)

I just don't want to rush and grab any ol monitor, i figure whatever i buy will be with me for a long ass time

Are you aware that those videos and numbers are using AMD Freesync (non-Gsync) graphics cards to run G-sync?

You have a Nvidia 2080, so any G-sync monitor will work just fine for you.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I had the Dell 2716DG for about 2 years, its not bad but the panel I believe is VA so colors don't "pop", it worked just fine but its like the difference going from 4k TV to LG OLED (I have an OLED attached to my PC too).
The colors actually look better in ULMB mode, as long as you have the gamma set right.

spronk

FPS noob
open up a full screen browser to something thats just text on a white background. scroll up and down real quick. Do parts of the white background appear a little blue? Even when I had the Dell 2716 set to what seemed pretty good gamma, and looked good in games, I would see sometimes a blueish tint some places, mostly white background, if I scroll real fast. I could get rid of it by playing with the nvidia color settings but then the colors on the screen wouldn't look quite as good to me.

I had the Dell (now used by my son) and my alienware side by side for a day or two and the difference in colors was just no comparison, the IPS screen of the Alienware is far more vibrant than the Dell.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Are you aware that those videos and numbers are using AMD Freesync (non-Gsync) graphics cards to run G-sync?

You have a Nvidia 2080, so any G-sync monitor will work just fine for you.

Any gsync monitor is also going to cost him extra for little to no discernible benefit.

gLobal

Trakanon Raider
I'd also chime in behind Freesync/Gsync compatibility. I prioritize IPS and low gtg response as well. I despise TN panels because of the color shifting and will never own another. If you haven't considered going ultrawide or adding future monitors (slim bezels!), it may be something to think about.

My biggest choice was refresh vs resolution. The supposed sweet spot for heavy FPS players seems to be 1440 and 90/120/144 Hz. I went the 4k/60 Hz route because I don't really play competitive FPS anymore, and work with a lot of documents/videos. I went with this one, and it has been excellent for my uses.

Additionally, lowering the resolution and applying filters can produce some pretty great (nearly 4k) quality visuals with less overhead. Check out the new Nvidia Freestyle Sharpening filters, which are pretty impressive if you decide to go that route.

Oh, if you're going to use DisplayPort and have any problems, I'd recommend you suck it up and buy a certified cable. I had non-certified cables, and my display would frequently blank out. Win 10 is really picky about DisplayPort in general, especially on waking from sleep or with multi-monitor configurations.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Terial

Trakanon Raider
so i fucked up.... i ordered this one...
Monitor
and it's freesync not gsync.... it's not arrived yet, trying to cancel it... ugh
At least i think it's not Gsync, the comment ssay it's freesync yet the description says gsync...

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's a Freesync monitor that happens to be one of the ones that Nvidia has tested and will activate Gsync on.

It's also a TN panel, which should be avoided like the plague.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
so i fucked up.... i ordered this one...
Monitor
and it's freesync not gsync.... it's not arrived yet, trying to cancel it... ugh
At least i think it's not Gsync, the comment ssay it's freesync yet the description says gsync...

That link shows as Gsync for me.