New Monitor - what's good now?

Terial

Trakanon Raider
It's a Freesync monitor that happens to be one of the ones that Nvidia has tested and will activate Gsync on.

It's also a TN panel, which should be avoided like the plague.
What’s a TN panel?? Dammit I’m not happy. It’ll be here tomorrow. I can open it or send it right back and get a different one

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That link shows as Gsync for me.
"Gsync compatible" means it's one of the Freesync monitors that passed Nvidia's testing. Easy way to save a couple hundred by avoiding the Nvidia tax on their proprietary nonsense.

What’s a TN panel?? Dammit I’m not happy. It’ll be here tomorrow. I can open it or send it right back and get a different one
TN is the worst of the three main types of panels. Generally VA is second and IPS is the best. About the only thing TN panels are good at is response time. Some people don't seem to notice though, so you might as well hook the monitor up and try it. It won't make it any more of a hassle to return to Amazon (and might give you an excuse to return it as defective if there's something wrong with it like really bad backlight bleed or some dead pixels) and at least you'll have a baseline to compare the next one to. It'll also give you an opportunity to turn on Gsync and see exactly what it does.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
TN panels are not that shitty. They just have bad viewing angles. They generally have good black levels and good ones have extremely low pixel response times, way lower than IPS or VA panels.

OLED gaming monitors still don't really exist.

MicroLED gaming monitors are going to start appearing over the next year.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
so i fucked up.... i ordered this one...
Monitor
and it's freesync not gsync.... it's not arrived yet, trying to cancel it... ugh
At least i think it's not Gsync, the comment ssay it's freesync yet the description says gsync...

Brahma Brahma posted this in the desktop thread, sounds like a good monitor if you aren't happy with the one you picked

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I need a new monitor since one of mine got knocked over by pets fighting, any suggestions as of January 2022?

Preferably something sold by Best Buy since I have a bunch of store credit there. Looking to spend $80-200, so a fairly large range. The desktop that the monitor is for isn't a particularly fancy desktop and is primarily used for video calls and on rare occasion EQ, no major gaming or anything like that, so I'm thinking the lower range is probably fine. Mainly wondering what the good brands are. Is Lenovo still rad? Are LG monitors as good as their TVs are?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I need a new monitor since one of mine got knocked over by pets fighting, any suggestions as of January 2022?

Preferably something sold by Best Buy since I have a bunch of store credit there. Looking to spend $80-200, so a fairly large range. The desktop that the monitor is for isn't a particularly fancy desktop and is primarily used for video calls and on rare occasion EQ, no major gaming or anything like that, so I'm thinking the lower range is probably fine. Mainly wondering what the good brands are. Is Lenovo still rad? Are LG monitors as good as their TVs are?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Oops, I missed the part about it not being for gaming. Starting over...

I'd look at the ones Best Buy has on sale, narrow it down by size (imo you're not going to find a decent 27" panel for under $200, better to get something higher quality but only 24" unless you absolutely need the size) and then see if any of them have reviews on rtings.com.

Slightly outside the price range is this one that rtings is calling 'best budget gaming' right now:

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's not the only monitor on sale from BB right now, but yeah you only have 6 hours left. Note that it's HDMI 2.0 which only does 144 Hz and you would need Displayport to hit 165 Hz.

In the next few months as 2022 models with 2.1 come out expect some good deals on older 2.0s

joz123

Potato del Grande
I had to ditch my Dell monitor which lasted a good 15 years, ended up getting this one.

Great monitor for the price.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
$200 is pretty unrealistic, especially at Best Buy. Maybe on black friday, but not in the middle of January.

If you can kick it up to 300, I'd go with this one:

Gotta decide fast though, that sale is only good for about 6 hours.
Pretty good deal. Not the best monitor, but one of the best for that price.

I had to ditch my Dell monitor which lasted a good 15 years, ended up getting this.

I got it on sale at B&H Photo for 250 about 4 months ago. Great monitor for the price.
I think you can do a lot better for that price these days.

Any monitor more than 15 months from date of first sale is probably very obsolete FYI. Things have changed a lot with the past few iterations of IPS or even VA panels.

Newegg generally will list when a product first went on sale.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Price vs performance misty. We all know we can go out and dish out $1K on a fucking monitor but is it really going to be THAT much better? I dont think so.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Price vs performance misty. We all know we can go out and dish out $1K on a fucking monitor but is it really going to be THAT much better? I dont think so.
I'm not talking about price (though yes, those expensive monitors ARE that much better, but that's a whole different story. Don't pay more than 450 dollars on a monitor unless you have no other use for money.)

Older monitors are generally not reduced in price. So you can end up paying 300+ dollars for a monitor manufactured in 2019 or 2018 that looks, spec-wise, to be similar to other 300-400 dollar monitors manufactured in 2020 or 2021 that look and perform a whole lot better. For instance, an LG 27 GN or GL model will often have a similar price to a GP model, yet look quite antiquated in a side-by-side comparison.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That's not the only monitor on sale from BB right now, but yeah you only have 6 hours left. Note that it's HDMI 2.0 which only does 144 Hz and you would need Displayport to hit 165 Hz.

In the next few months as 2022 models with 2.1 come out expect some good deals on older 2.0s

Best Buy is having a monitor sale that ends tonight? That sucks, I planned on going there tomorrow for a look, can't tonight.

Thanks for the various input, I'm gonna see what Best Buy has.

The best screen I've ever had was on my Lenovo Yoga laptop in 2013 or so. I don't know if it was an OLED screen or not, but it was a glass screen and the picture was INCREDIBLE. No computer I've had since had a remotely comparable picture. None of them had glass screens either. My LG OLED TVs are the closest thing so I'm wondering if that was some sort of early OLED panel.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Best Buy is having a monitor sale that ends tonight? That sucks, I planned on going there tomorrow for a look, can't tonight.

Thanks for the various input, I'm gonna see what Best Buy has.

The best screen I've ever had was on my Lenovo Yoga laptop in 2013 or so. I don't know if it was an OLED screen or not, but it was a glass screen and the picture was INCREDIBLE. No computer I've had since had a remotely comparable picture. None of them had glass screens either. My LG OLED TVs are the closest thing so I'm wondering if that was some sort of early OLED panel.
Glossy + VA can have really popping colors due to its nice contrast ratios so I'd imagine that was the case.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I'll probably go for an LG monitor whenever I get a gaming desktop. Mostly stick to laptops nowadays. LG TVs are so ridiculously good compared to their competition. That Ultragear monitor looks sweet, probably worth it even at $400.

This particular monitor really is just for video calls and EQ. Probably doesn't even have to be any bigger than 19'' or 21'' or whatever "small" is these days. Be a waste to get anything super-nice yet.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Probably outside of what he's looking for although those would probably be great for EQ once it goes 64bit.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The problem is that the cheap monitors really aren't all that cheap right now.