new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

Oldbased

> Than U
I have a NV 970 and while it is a heat and power hog it runs everything I've been interested in playing just fine. If it burns out I'll probably go 1070 or something.
My days of giving a rent payment for a video card are long over.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Prices are fucking retarded. Ti at 1200 bucks? Will be curious to see what 3rd party cards retail for. I'm planning a new full build early next year, so plenty of time to watch and wait for benchmarks.

orionTZ1998

Golden Squire
Wondering if the jacked up prices are indicative of a big performance jump or a delayed response to the huge spike in prices in the secondary market due to the crypto phase (which seems to be winding down). The only number given of actual substance in the entire presentation was the infiltrator demo being run at 78fps on the 2080ti which is a significant improvement from ~40fps on the 1080ti.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Any test heavy on memory bandwidth is going to crush the older cards.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Wondering if the jacked up prices are indicative of a big performance jump or a delayed response to the huge spike in prices in the secondary market due to the crypto phase (which seems to be winding down). The only number given of actual substance in the entire presentation was the infiltrator demo being run at 78fps on the 2080ti which is a significant improvement from ~40fps on the 1080ti.

2080 ti has like 21% more cores than 1080 ti
GDDR6 is 30% faster.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Consoles run on AMD hardware

This doesn't matter ~ the base for both Xbox1 and the PS4 are x86 arch(There are some custom hardware changes that both MS and Sony have done too either core(but would be easy too add into whatever core they use(Especially with smaller cores coming soon(TM)), would only need a translation wrapper for GPU (they are really fucking cheap too run), so Sony and MS could both flip chips either way and still have full backwards compatibility..

Ya I'm gonna wait till next generations Raytracing looks cool ... but to early.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Like I said in the PC theead, these prices are retarded. They are pushing more and more people into consoles, which right now you can get xbox1 x and play at 4K HDR at 60fps for the same price of a 2070, not including the rest of the PC, lol.

And good luck getting that 2070 to run any game on 4K HDR 60FPS, lol. you probably need like 2 SLI 1080ti's for that shit.

I guess PC gaming is becoming a rich mans exclusive playground if you want to play on anything other than 1080p. or not turning everything down to low and hoping for 40fps.

• 2Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
would they make a gtx 2080 ti eventually without the ray tracing stuff?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I doubt it since its probably part of the actuual die, not an add on chip, but what do I know. Besides, rarely do we see founders actually change other than clock settings coolers and shit like that by 3rd party until they release something entirely new.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Like I said in the PC theead, these prices are retarded. They are pushing more and more people into consoles, which right now you can get xbox1 x and play at 4K HDR at 60fps for the same price of a 2070, not including the rest of the PC, lol.

And good luck getting that 2070 to run any game on 4K HDR 60FPS, lol. you probably need like 2 SLI 1080ti's for that shit.

I guess PC gaming is becoming a rich mans exclusive playground if you want to play on anything other than 1080p. or not turning everything down to low and hoping for 40fps.

I'm big into crypto, but it's pretty dumb that I can sell my 1080 for what I paid for it 2 years ago and despite crypto prices tanking I have no faith that prices are going to drop on cards with Proof of Work still being so dominant over Proof of Stake.

I used to upgrade every two years and be diehard PC, but right now to build a new PC with a newer series card, getting a 30"+ 4k monitor etc is more than I paid for my XB1X and an 65" OLED TV this year. So I'll be 1080p w/ High/Ultra mix settings until it it's no longer an option. Can't justify dropping $10k on PC upgrades over the same time period when you can buy a nice TV and probably the whole suite of consoles for two generations for half the price.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
real time ray tracing in battlefield V using an RTX, i guess everything is more... shiny?

go into actual youtube so you can change it to 4K 60 fps display

Putting EA in charge of newly released "Cutting Edge" technology and showcasing it will have the same result of Red Dead Redemption 2 running on computer components scrapped from Apollo 13.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Probably has more with the fact that it's the only game that's far enough into dev(and using Dx12 *barf*), they could easily add it in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Xbox One X does not run most AAA games at 60 FPS at 4k. Most are locked at 30 FPS. And most console games run at what PC gamers would consider low or medium settings.

Considering a decently clocked GTX 1080 can do 1440p at a solid 100 fps in most optimized games at high-ultra settings, I cannot imagine a 2070 not being able to do 4k at close to 60 fps.

Consoles do have the advantage in that HDR is way more standardized on consoles+TVs than it is on PCs+Monitors. And consoles+TVs are starting to roll out adaptive sync, which is a huge boon for them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Consoles do have the advantage in that HDR is way more standardized on consoles+TVs than it is on PCs+Monitors. And consoles+TVs are starting to roll out adaptive sync, which is a huge boon for them.

I would take 30 Fps 4K (Checkerboard, dynamic scaling, or native) W/HDR on a 65" OLED and theater srround, over 60 FPS 4k on a 27" non HDR, when we consider the totality of the circumstances. Right now they are just starting to sell a 27" HDR 4k display - at $2,000. Why would I ever even consider that when you can get a B7A 65" OLED for 2300-2400 and save over 1500 on the PC set up. Personal preference but from a long term gamer of all platforms, current consoles are getting 99.99% of my place time.

Add in ease of use, it's a no brainer.

Aside from that, I would argue/debate the amount of graphical options we are seeing on PC compared to Xbox One X/PS Pro on most games these days.

I think next gen will be 4k native 60 Fps with HDR as a standard. (Wishful thinking)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I guess I have to try my 1070 on my 4K tv and see how it does. But I doubt it can do 60fps. I can tell you that even at 1080p my 1070 has a hard time in Destiny 2 all maxxed out. Maybe the game is not optimized or whatever, could be the game is a POS, but I definitely had to go in and tweak some shit to get it to run at a nice constant 80-90. dont really play any other AAA titles that I can compare it to.

Dont get me wrong, I like the 1070. But I also got it for $350ish and would not even think about getting one if it was $500 let alone the 2080 or whatever for $1100. To me tis just not worth it playing a few games here and there, like I said, might as well get the console and play from my couch.

I know my kids xbox 1 X, that I got him for $500, plays Destiny2 at 4k at 60fps with a patch they released.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah so yorue taking $2K for monitor, $1.2K for card(which I doubt the 2080 can play 4K 60fps), $1K for PC to play at 4K, lol. Thats $5K vs $500.

Edit: I also just got another 55" roku cheap 4K HDR TV 144hz for less than $500.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I preordered (sigh) the non-TI 2080. My 980 has started showing its age lately and I figured it was about time to upgrade anyway. Who knows, maybe it can run the guild hall!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Right now they are just starting to sell a 27" HDR 4k display - at $2,000.
That's a 144hz HDR 4k display. Big difference.

A generic HDR 4K 27 inch 60 hz monitor is a whopping $450.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user