new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It's sad we have to hope on what Intel debuts next year will compete with Nvidia. AMD just seems fine with pumping out cards that don't move the needle much, but just enough.

AMD seemed to settle into the BEST bang for your buck $200-$250 range since the 7950 era.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Long before that really; the mid-range cards in the x800 and x1800 series (and even further back to the Radeon 9500/9600 Pro really) put nvidia to shame especially if you were willing to OC. I haven't used a nvidia card in my own PC builds since the Geforce4 Ti4800 I bought for EQ. The FX 5000 series was such a disaster that it took years for nvidia to recover back then.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
9600Pro or XT was where it was at until nVidia dropped the 8800 GTX. AMD bought ATI that same year (2006), and has managed to stay at a firm arms reach from nVidia since. I still have a 9600Pro with custom cooler sitting in my closet...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I remember that 8800 GTX, everyone had that fucker when it came out. Good price and it lasted for years, well at least for me and the games I played. I think I replaced the 8800 GTX with a 5850 ATI, lol.

Shit, even now, they still have a good budget card RX480, or 580 now, that do really well on 1080p for less than $200. Both my kids have them in their PCs I buit them because fuck you if you think im giving my brats $1200 video cards megaLUL. If they want the good shit, get a jobie-job and buy one.

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I remember that 8800 GTX, everyone had that fucker when it came out. Good price and it lasted for years, well at least for me and the games I played. I think I replaced the 8800 GTX with a 5850 ATI, lol.

Shit, even now, they still have a good budget card RX480, or 580 now, that do really well on 1080p for less than $200. Both my kids have them in their PCs I buit them because fuck you if you think im giving my brats $1200 video cards megaLUL. If they want the good shit, get a jobie-job and buy one.
I'm not sure any of us will be able to go as long as we did in the past on a single video card. For me, it was surely the games I played. I was into MMOs, and so EQ and WoW. Neither needed all that much, and so my ATI 6950 lasted me 6 years. Wasn't until i tried playing my first new triple A title in years on launch that I was like oh shit, I need to upgrade! Now I'm in a GTX 970, and already feel like this won't last but maybe another year, so 2 years total for me, before I'm gonna have to jump to something else.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Have they announced any cards other than the 2080ti, 2080, and 2070?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
1536717028230.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Anytime that review embargoes are put off until near launch day, the product is bad.

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Just in case someone looks at those graphs without checking the link:

The data we are sharing with you today comes from official Reviewers’ Guide. The numbers in this guide are only a reference for further benchmarking. It is probably an important thing to say that those numbers should not be taken very seriously. Each reviewer has a different testing methodology (different scenario, different testing equipment, a different list of games).

The graphs are based on values (framerate/scores) provided by NVIDIA for their recommended titles. Yes, the word recommended is rather important here too.

• 2WTF

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just in case someone looks at those graphs without checking the link:
People should wait for third party benchmarks, but shouldn't we expect that they will more or less match the above benchmarks (especially for 3d mark)? I mean, NVIDIA wouldn't throttle their 1080 / 1080ti performance, or lie / overclock for their 2080 / 2080ti performance, right?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
zWvHzua.jpg

Good chart that shows what we all kind of new to be true: the new cards aren't more cost effective than the current generation.

Ray Tracing is great, but I can't help but feel that even in the best case scenario for ray tracing, 4+ from now new consoles will support it, and it's be the primary method for rendering modern games, the 2080/2080ti won't render those games fast enough that it'd be worth doing 30fps @ 1080p with ray tracing on vs 60fps @ 4k (or whatever) with it off.

So as a buyer, why would I want to future proof when I can only limp in the future?

• 1Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
People should wait for third party benchmarks, but shouldn't we expect that they will more or less match the above benchmarks (especially for 3d mark)? I mean, NVIDIA wouldn't throttle their 1080 / 1080ti performance, or lie / overclock for their 2080 / 2080ti performance, right?

everything i've read says they don't really mess around with their released numbers and are pretty accurate. but that's just what people say on boards that aren't hysterical.

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The problems I have with their numbers is that they look too good compared to how little they're talking about rasterization performance. They're showing a minimum of 35% more performance over last gen, but they're barely talking about it. I'm sure marketing has them putting an overly large spotlight on raytracing et al, but they must know by now that our focus is on the numbers.

I'm fine with waiting and seeing trustworthy benchmarks. It's not as though I'm going to be buying one considering those prices anyways

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The problems I have with their numbers is that they look too good compared to how little they're talking about rasterization performance. They're showing a minimum of 35% more performance over last gen, but they're barely talking about it. I'm sure marketing has them putting an overly large spotlight on raytracing et al, but they must know by now that our focus is on the numbers.

I'm fine with waiting and seeing trustworthy benchmarks. It's not as though I'm going to be buying one considering those prices anyways
It could be that they think the 35% improved performance doesn't justify the increased price in the mind's of their buyers, but it's arguable that the RTX does.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Considering the price of these cards and the time lapsed since the last generation, those numbers feel relatively believable. Still looks like a pretty poor generation to buy into. I'm gonna look forward to AMDs next one. I think Nvidia is gonna get savaged in the practical market.