new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 cards released

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
It usually happens with win10 and watching a video/stream on one and playing a game on the other. Win10 forces vsync system-wide due to its dwm setup. Its not always the case due to different browsers and settings, but is a well known issue.

Interesting. Good to know, only recently made the jump from console so still have a lot to figure out.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Toss some advice my way.

I'm building a VR gaming machine (around an Oculus Rift) and have so far gotten an AMD Ryzen 5 2600X processor, a decent X470 Asus MB, and i'm looking to get 16gb of 2666-3200 DDR4 ram. I have all of the remaining pieces from my old computer and have recently gotten a good SSD. I also have a GTX 1050TI, but that shit won't cut it and so the last piece i need to get is the graphics card.

I'm building a racing/flight sim cockpit and all of my gaming will be either flight sims (DCS) or racing (Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2 etc). Money isn't too big of an issue, but i'm not looking to spend 2080TI money.

What graphics card would be good enough for this kind of gaming?

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Toss some advice my way.

I'm building a VR gaming machine (around an Oculus Rift) and have so far gotten an AMD Ryzen 5 2600X processor, a decent X470 Asus MB, and i'm looking to get 16gb of 2666-3200 DDR4 ram. I have all of the remaining pieces from my old computer and have recently gotten a good SSD. I also have a GTX 1050TI, but that shit won't cut it and so the last piece i need to get is the graphics card.

I'm building a racing/flight sim cockpit and all of my gaming will be either flight sims (DCS) or racing (Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2 etc). Money isn't too big of an issue, but i'm not looking to spend 2080TI money.

What graphics card would be good enough for this kind of gaming?
Get a GTX 2080 or GTX 2060. Unless you can get a GTX 1080 Ti for way cheaper (more than 25% less than the GTX 2080), it's not worth it going 1 gen older. Nvidia has been known to slow down older cards over time.

AMD did well with Ryzen, but really needs to catch up with graphics.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hardware hasn't been ahead for a few generations now. I remember buying GTX 980 Ti (over my GTX 980) just so I can run Witcher 3 at 60fps on my 165hz monitor. I don't even think my GTX 1080 Ti can run Witcher 3 on ultra at 165hz. Nowadays, even CPU can make upwards 10% fps difference, and 3200 mhz CL16 ram can have 5-10% fps difference compared to 2400mhz ram (at full resolution) with all the physics going on. Just because you're on 1080p doesn't mean "hardware has been ahead of software for a few years now."

Yes and no. More power always helps, no doubt. But to understand where I'm coming from remember that even up to a decade ago we would have to build a new machine every 18 months just to be able to run the games, let alone max them out. And that was true all the way back to the late 80's. Have built a ton of systems over the years.

So when building this machine 4 years ago, fully expected to have to upgrade within 2 years. Even if it was just a graphics card. But 4 years later and this system is still keeping up at 7680x1440. It is only now that games like BF5 have come out that I feel the need to start planning a new machine. Granted If I played BF5 a lot, would be upgrading right now, but outside the graphics BF5 isn't that great imo. It is the harbinger of things to come though, so by the end of the year will finally be building a new machine to keep up.

That was the point I was trying to get across with the hardware comment. The "every 18 months build a new machine" cycle has ended and I think it's great.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

Del

Vyemm Raider
It's true that hardware is overall advancing slower now than it was a decade ago, but there was never a time where you needed to build a new machine every 18 months to be able to run new games. You're talking shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Easy rule. If you attack me I'll attack back. Will skip it this time.

I did build a new maching every 18 months or so for most of the 90's and early 2000's. That is on me, I wanted the absolute best at all times and moore's law was in effect. I could afford it and enjoyed the process.

• 1Salty
  • 1Picard

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Capture.JPG

The day after. You can look at it like you're being attacked all you like, but you're really just being overly-sensitive about nothing.

• 3Like
  • 1Smuggly
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
remember that even up to a decade ago we would have to build a new machine every 18 months just to be able to run the games

I did build a new maching every 18 months or so for most of the 90's and early 2000's. That is on me, I wanted the absolute best at all times and moore's law was in effect. I could afford it and enjoyed the process.

Literally 1 post and a couple hours in between it being mandatory just to run a game and "I wanted the best why is everyone attacking me!?!?!?!?!"

• 2Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Literally 1 post and a couple hours in between it being mandatory just to run a game and "I wanted the best why is everyone attacking me!?!?!?!?!"

The first quote was a reference to Moore's law which was usually quoted as 18 months (but was actually 2 years). Moore's Law

If you are generally asking a question, I'll try to explain my meaning. But if you are just nitpicking because you don't want to listen then that's your issue and you are being unreasonable just to be negative.

Look, I'm trying to have a civil discussion here. If everyone wants to attack me and shit up the thread that's fine, I'm more than happy to play along. I love being justifiably angry. It's a great feeling.

You all decide. Do you want a civil discussion? Or should we just blow the thread up and turn it into bullshit. Works for me either way. Oh and crying about negs that don't mean anything is pretty sad don't you think?

• 1Salty
  • 1Picard

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Look, I'm trying to have a civil discussion here. If everyone wants to attack me and shit up the thread that's fine, I'm more than happy to play along. I love being justifiably angry. It's a great feeling.

You all decide. Do you want a civil discussion? Or should we just blow the thread up and turn it into bullshit. Works for me either way. Oh and crying about negs that don't mean anything is pretty sad don't you think?

Christ almighty, it's like Tanoomba 2.0

• 4Worf
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
How so? Elaborate. Or are you just here to shit up the thread and blow it up?
  • Tanoomba/Grim1 makes a retarded post
  • Multiple replies in response; mockery ensues
  • Tanoomba/Grim1 doubles down, endlessly
  • Says they're being reasonable, but acts like passive aggressive bitches
  • Thread turns to shit
  • Tanoomba/Grim1 blames everyone else for shitposting "It's not me!"
    • if Mods get involved "I'm just being reasonable in my unreasonableness, punish literally everyone else for pointing out my faggotry"
  • GOTO 10
You know, your basic Internet Faggot 201 "Advanced Shitposting"

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you want to blow up the thread and attack me. Got it. It's on you then.

That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. But all I see is you stalking me to a thread you have no interest in just to harass me. Still mad I pissed in your cheerios?

Let's hear some more whining while you are here. I'm sure it will be just as dull.

• 2Salty
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This is the whine that never ends
Yes it goes on and on my friends
Grim starting crying about it
Not knowing why it was
But he'll keep whining about it just because...

• 1Worf
  • 1Barf

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OC'd my setup a while back. But ended up turning it off. Didn't really need the power and the fans were abit too annoying. Built this system to be quiet and I like it. The Noctuas are great but even they can be heard at high rpms.

I know you were trolling but whatever.

• 1Salty

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
OC'd my setup a while back. But ended up turning it off. Didn't really need the power and the fans were abit too annoying. Built this system to be quiet and I like it. The Noctuas are great but even they can be heard at high rpms.

I know you were trolling but whatever.

Noctua's are great, especially now that you can get them in non-fugly colours. I have two 140's for front intake and a dh-15s for the CPU.

And for the record, I only started trolling you today. I think you really overestimate how much I give a shit about any of this. My trolling boner only pops up when people show a complete unwillingness to have a conversation or find fault in themselves.

• 2Like

Ruhl

Boner Donor
Holy shit. The colossal faggotry of a certain poster is off the charts right now. Maybe someone should have stepped away from the computer & Had a Nice Weekend

• 5Worf
  • 2Solidarity

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Noctua's are great, especially now that you can get them in non-fugly colours. I have two 140's for front intake and a dh-15s for the CPU.

And for the record, I only started trolling you today. I think you really overestimate how much I give a shit about any of this. My trolling boner only pops up when people show a complete unwillingness to have a conversation or find fault in themselves.

Tried water cooling first on this system but it wasn't as quiet as I was expecting. Sent it back and got the Noctuas. Damn fine fans. Never had a problem with them and very quiet.

Cool colors would be nice, got the ugly browns. Next system.

• 1Salty