New Progression Server confirmed

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Serpent Sight (infravision) is level six and fixes that right up.

Dark Pact is also level six now and that single fact alone was almost enough for me to play a Necromancer.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Any class that can roll ogre should roll ogre, as front stun immunity is around all the way through planes and then some.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Barbs are the only "big" race I can tolerate, which was my initial consideration, but the light source struggle is just another layer of annoyance I'm not sure I can tolerate.
The night is dark and full of terrors, but not quite as dark and quite as full of terrors as it was in 1999 so I wouldn't worry about it.

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Dear god do not roll a melee class until Kunark is out, or until after you level your caster(s) and can gear them. Weapons are going to be non-existent for a loooooong while.
Why?

Are they removing the newbie zone gear quests this go around? I got some dagger before level 10 that was better than anything you would have seen in original EQ until around level 35.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Why?

Are they removing the newbie zone gear quests this go around? I got some dagger before level 10 that was better than anything you would have seen in original EQ until around level 35.
Yes, all the newbie quests are gone. You're gonna be running with the lovely classic tarnished weapon > giant snake fang > whatever drop you can happen to win the lottery on that you'll use until Kunark comes out.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Dude you can grab your BABS on day two and then just keep it until day three when you get a Yak or Mith 2hander.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That dude is level 30something and if you think for a second any random melee that doesn't have a pre-existing guild/support system is seeing anything like that sword until naggy and vox are long dead then I don't know what to tell you.

Even assuming you win the lotto and score one of the like 3 decent weapons that exist before the end game, you're still only worth what, half a mage pet and a quarter of a mage+pet?

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yes, all the newbie quests are gone. You're gonna be running with the lovely classic tarnished weapon > giant snake fang > whatever drop you can happen to win the lottery on that you'll use until Kunark comes out.
So, what version of Hate? No 9/19 Vexthorne?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So, what version of Hate? No 9/19 Vexthorne?
That's my point, you're looking at vox/nag/god drops before anything approaching a decent weapon is even a possibility. Sure, there's 13/30 available on Vox for rogues to use, but what do you do for the 50 levels of shit before that? Rock SBD for weeks/months until you pity your way in to a raid and maybe win a roll?

Dragons/gods will be dead before most are even at level 50, why suffer with being a charity melee? Play something easy for now, save some cash, wait for Kunark then roll your knights etc.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The smart melee's will be using fists because its a better ratio than any weapon in classic. Grats on your blade of carnage.. thx 1h slash is at 27
Fists are actually worse at most level ranges - they're good in a few though.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Serpent Sight (infravision) is level six and fixes that right up.

Dark Pact is also level six now and that single fact alone was almost enough for me to play a Necromancer.
I think my min/max nature is getting the best of me and I'm just going to end up biting the bullet and rolling Troll. My only reluctance is that I never bothered with any of the evil races until the end of PoP, when faction/race really didn't matter at all. I know it mattered less and less with each expansion, but leveling areas, merchants, etc. are all things that I'm mostly clueless on in classic.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Trolls also have the best starting zone in the game. You basically hit guk at level 4 and stay there until 46-50.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
You guys should totally play, try just boxing one character for this one. Is there anyone who is still looking for a power group or has empty spots? I think some of the TFO groups have a spot or two.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
so friggin' broke, don't even have $15 to pay for a sub. will be drowning in cash by the end of June, though. any forum bros want to spot a brother a loan? =p

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kronos are often around $8-9 if you're willing to go through some legwork. (or around 1m pp on most servers if you've got pp lying around)