New Progression Server confirmed

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm very tempted to roll a tank on Lockjaw, but the idea of playing a melee class in classic is just....ugh.
It isn't that bad if you go troll and keep bandages stocked. I was so hesitant on going Troll over Barbarian because of faction issues, but the reduction in downtime is amazing.

Also, does this game seem *way* smaller 16 years and countless games later? Runs from Freeport to Qeynos seemed like an all-night process in wonderment 16 years ago. It took me like 30ish minutes to run from Innothule to Qeynos the other night. After which, I couldn't help but think, "Man, this game isn't nearly as large as I remembered..".

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
It isn't that bad if you go troll and keep bandages stocked. I was so hesitant on going Troll over Barbarian because of faction issues, but the reduction in downtime is amazing.

Also, does this game seem *way* smaller 16 years and countless games later? Runs from Freeport to Qeynos seemed like an all-night process in wonderment 16 years ago. It took me like 30ish minutes to run from Innothule to Qeynos the other night. After which, I couldn't help but think, "Man, this game isn't nearly as large as I remembered..".
Boats.

Playing P99 and running places made me realize that it was the boats that really slowed things down. With SOW running anywhere is reasonably quick but the second you decide to take a boat you are in for an hours long trip. Classic is a small world too, once you get to velious you are really commited to a long hike if you want to go anywhere.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Depends on what you value most in your tank.

Tank Breakdown:
DPS- Ranger, Warrior, SK, Paladin
Tanking/Agro- Paladin, Ranger, SK, Warrior
Pulling- Paladin, SK, Ranger, Warrior
Utility- Paladin, Ranger, SK, Warrior
Downtime(least to most)- Warrior, Ranger, SK, Paladin
Ranger would be at the top for pulling in outdoor zones keep in mind as well (while many zones in classic and Kunark are)

And I'd put ranger over paladin for aggro - stuns don't start till 28 and paladin aggro is garbage until then (Flash of Light is good aggro, but useless many zones).

And a real snare can't be undersold. But otherwise I agree with 90% of how you did that list.

Vitality

HUSTLE

They consolidated the zones pretty heavily. Commonlands - Ro/Oasis. Freeport is a lot bigger, unneccesarily big imo.

Also with the free Origin AA ability, taking a human at qeynos and binding at Freeport gives you ports on both sides of the continent if you're a class with gate.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Paladin agro is fine until stuns, between FoL and Roots there shouldn't be a lot of trouble. Once they get stuns mobs are locked down. The only thing to consider about tanks is Pallys, SK's, and Warriors all get better as tanks and unless things have changed Rangers become DPS. Just something to keep in mind.

For anyone playing in the currentish expansions of EQ are Beastlords able to tank reasonably well for groups? Obviously agro would likely be a problem.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nah, Beastlords can't tank for shit. I had a max AA'd one on Test server, that I ran with my max AA Necro.

Both the Necro pet and Beast pet tanked better than the Beast himself. Even slowed mobs would take down the Beast when damage spikes occurred.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Nah, Beastlords can't tank for shit. I had a max AA'd one on Test server, that I ran with my max AA Necro.

Both the Necro pet and Beast pet tanked better than the Beast himself. Even slowed mobs would take down the Beast when damage spikes occurred.
My main is a Beastlord and this is 100% true. Beasts CANNOT tank current content, some trash mobs yes if slowed, but the minute you step in to try and tank a named (Even in Katta, the low end of the TDS expansion) you get wrecked. Some time ago all pets had their survivability drastically increased and pet defensive AA lines can make them damn near unkillable.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Forums went apeshit after Roshen posted that using ISBoxer without automation was perfectly legit. Love it!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
How is beastlord dps then, are they sub par? How do the beastlords solo will their pets hold agro over them? I thought they screwed with the pet agro thing a while back.

Eonan

Doer of Things
How is beastlord dps then, are they sub par?
Beast DPS is still solid (read middle of the road), although in this expansion ALL melee classes got hit with a massive brick thanks to the AC on raid mobs being raised significantly, tilting the DPS scale towards casters. Also Beasts rely much more heavily on their pets as a percentage of their total DPS than they did in PoP/GoD/OoW era.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Beastlord himself + Pet DPS is quite good. Not Mage, Necro, or Wizzy good... but very good for a melee class. At the point where the game hits "mud-flation" the Slows, Haste's, Melee Buffs, and Paragon are all mostly on par with the spells of the parent classes. It is a really fun and effective class to play... just don't try to main-tank
smile.png

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
How is beastlord dps then, are they sub par? How do the beastlords solo will their pets hold agro over them? I thought they screwed with the pet agro thing a while back.
Beastlord pets CANNOT hold aggro while the beastlord is in melee range. Solo with a beast in modern times is pet tank while bl plays pet cleric/dot/nuker and they have a wizard merc nuke everything to death.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
They consolidated the zones pretty heavily. Commonlands - Ro/Oasis. Freeport is a lot bigger, unneccesarily big imo.

Also with the free Origin AA ability, taking a human at qeynos and binding at Freeport gives you ports on both sides of the continent if you're a class with gate.
Origin is amazing. It makes camping spawns that drop heavy, high-value weapons a thing of beauty. Origin, spirit of snake, sell, get money, gate back, get bitches.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I had committed to playing a druid on this go round, but am seriously considering going shaman for lockjaw launch. Sister is playing necro. The lack of ports will hurt though.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Flash of Light doesn't seem to be the insta agro that I recall it being in P99, that or my bard puller was initiating agro with something crazy. It'd take me 2 FoLs to pull agro on inc.