New Progression Server confirmed

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So is the 40 slot bag only if you pre-order the new expansion before it releases? Or is that a new store option for the foreseeable future?

Also looks like there is a chance the new progression server won't be released until January?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So is the 40 slot bag only if you pre-order the new expansion before it releases? Or is that a new store option for the foreseeable future?

Also looks like there is a chance the new progression server won't be released until January?
Last I saw - "By the end of year" was the quote just a few days ago.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm genuinely curious what a server with no isboxer, no macroquest, no mass boxing and instancing is going to look like. Will the real champions of EQ come out to play or will they hide away on their cheaters island?

I'll be there!

Zaide

TLP Idealist
If Frenzic is there we'll have at least on cheater. People can do their own custom compiles of MQ and then do their normal routines of afk shark farming etc.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
So I guess if you buy the pre-order of the new expansion you can get the clicky on TLP servers, kinda lame but its a cool looking illusion

Vaclav

If Frenzic is there we'll have at least on cheater. People can do their own custom compiles of MQ and then do their normal routines of afk shark farming etc.
From the details he gave me in PM - which are checking out - the main devs for it are really taking a hardcore approach. Besides his "kill switch" packet he mentioned to me in the PM, rest has been confirmed by one of the primary developers.

He did elude to something like it though. "I've got ideas if some people do reverse my coding that would prevent it's use" is how he phrased the option if people do.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
From the details he gave me in PM - which are checking out - the main devs for it are really taking a hardcore approach. Besides his "kill switch" packet he mentioned to me in the PM, rest has been confirmed by one of the primary developers.

He did elude to something like it though. "I've got ideas if some people do reverse my coding that would prevent it's use" is how he phrased the option if people do.
LOL you are funny man

Vaclav

LOL you are funny man
Funny what? I C/P'ed Frenzic's PM on the official boards to me to the developer contacts I was able to scrounge up and that was the response from the one that answered.

Maybe I got trolled on the email addresses that I was given, but I trust the person who gave them.

To quote the Frenzic PM since none of it seems too private for over here (apologies Frenzic if I'm wrong):
The situation is like this-

The writer and maintainer of ********** has come out and said he will personally stop people from using it on this server. I was intrigued and I happen to know him so I reached out and we chatted. At current there are two major ********** distributors and one open source project. Redguides and mmobugs are distributors while macroquest2 has their own site for source material.

The source itself has been changed to block access to this server. There are few people with the knowledge and ability to circumvent the source coding. One is from redguides and one from mmobugs. Both of these gentlemen have said they agree with the ** author and will not go against him.

The author also said he is going to monitor the situation closely and if anyone tries to push him he is going to hand over a specific packet to daybreak that will knock any ** user offline. The author has taken steps to ensure no one will be using ********** on this server. I'd take his skill over any amateur hacker wannabe.
Redguides guy was the one that responded to me based on how the contacts were given to me. Other two (author and mmobugs) guys haven't responded to my email yet.

It's not impossible that Frenzic is spinning a tail and the redguides guy was on board with his tomfoolery (or that the email I got is someone pranking me) - but from what I can do to check it out, it's checking out, shrug. I don't like putting too many eggs in a basket with only one source, so I shot off an email after Frenzic's PM and got a response - so unbelievable.

[Unless you thought my mention of developers above were EQ developers - I was contacting the MQ2 ones, not EQ - I've only tried contacting EQ1 devs a few times over the years but batting 0.000 so I don't even bother anymore]

Thraka_sl

shitlord
MQ2 is open source, the shell/base of the program is open for anyone to use. People still have access to the original shell. That being said, there are people that still compile their own version. If those two websites decide to back away from the project (Which they won't for monetary reasons), another party would just pick it up; this would be a significant reduction in proceeds for redguides and mmobugs. The only way to stop the program from being used has to be done on DBG's side.

TL/DR, not going to happen unfortunately.

Vaclav

MQ2 is open source, the shell/base of the program is open for anyone to use. People still have access to the original shell. That being said, there are people that still compile their own version. If those two websites decide to back away from the project (Which they won't for monetary reasons), another party would just pick it up; this would be a significant reduction in proceeds for redguides and mmobugs. The only way to stop the program from being used has to be done on DBG's side.

TL/DR, not going to happen unfortunately.
That was my take on it before Frenzic's PM myself, Thraka - part of why I started forwarding it for confirmation.

I know jack shit about software and I'd assume with it being open source it's easy to work around, but Frenzic seems convinced otherwise and at least the RG guy seems willing to continue to spread the myth.

Both could have a vested interest in obfuscation though, shrug. I'm still dubious - but at least I see it as having a prayer of making a significant dent if they're both being honest. Before I was expecting no matter what for it to be a temporary drop until people started making their own compiles and sharing them around. (The lazy/unskilled people would be scared off until then)

Now I see a small glimmer of hope of it being mostly gone though, versus none before. Don't take not being 100% pessimistic (as I was before) as the same as being 100% optimistic, I'm not - I'm on the fence about it.

[Not that I care too much with instances, however - I could care less when everyone's in their own bubble]

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Funny what?
It's funny how much you care for someone who is casual and just wants simple things to do in game. If it wasn't for your 40 posts an hour on the official forums my day would be a lot less boring.

I am saying thank you for making me laugh repeatedly while at work with your forum spam.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Hrm.. EQ without MQ. Sounds tedious.

My backup for patch days was always a simple macro program to smash repetitive action buttons. You can easily make in-game macros of sorts just by setting several hotbar slots to the same button (they execute left to right) so all you really need is the most basic of key repeaters. I play every MMO except WoW that way. I'm probably wearing out my right thumb holding down M4 all the time.

I guess if I'm not boxing or responsible for pulling MQ doesn't really do much. But the thing is, fiddling with MQ is entertaining. It's something to fuck with during the frequent downtime. There always seems to be something you can tweak, even if the result isn't all that useful and could be duplicated with audio triggers or a gamparse overlay. It's like the constant evolution of a WoW interface.

I think what I'd miss most is stuff like removing weather/fog and automatically keeping buff slots open when you have so few that it still matters, heh. QOL shit.

tl;dr - I'd probably make a wizard. Blow wad, sit, look at funny pictures of cats.

Vaclav

It's funny how much you care for someone who is casual and just wants simple things to do in game. If it wasn't for your 40 posts an hour on the official forums my day would be a lot less boring.

I am saying thank you for making me laugh repeatedly while at work with your forum spam.
Eh, it's what I do between other things - EQ during downtime, online CCGs between rounds, doctors appointments, etc - and I'm really not "that casual" (I'm hardcore across about a dozen games at a given time - no other MMOs though - part of why scheduling is a nice thing to have) nor do I want "simple things" to do. My best experiences were nailbiter wins to the content itself.

Still one of my most memorable EQ1 raids was the RZ (Time P5 version) that went so sideways that I was one of five people still standing at the end, and killed him with MELEE as a Cleric in desperation to not losing to him at 0%. [I forget in that was our first kill of him or not - it was an early one for sure though]

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Also nobody should give a flying fuck about yet another prog server if they don't nerf pets. And I don't mean the goofy hack they are using for raid mobs.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I feel better about sucking in 2001 since all you fags were cheating the whole time.
Yeah it is pretty appalling how many people are using 3rd party "helpers" all while claiming it doesn't really do anything and then saying they couldn't play with out it in the same breath.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Uh, the first time I ever used any 3rd party program was the Vulak server. So you're about a decade off.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Uh, the first time I ever used any 3rd party program was the Vulak server. So you're about 14 years off.
Even if that is true you are hardly the only person in this thread that has been using 3rd party programs for years and years.