New sound bar vs. old 5.1 surround in a box

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have an 8 year old Pioneer 5 disc dvd player with 5.1 surround that came as an all-in-one from Wal-Mart or something. Think I paid $300 new. Swapped out 2 of the Pioneer speakers for some Optimus shelf speakers I had lying around and the 2 rear speakers are up front since I didnt want to bother running wires to the back of the living room (ie all 5 speakers + sub are up front next to the TV). I don't use the dvd player at all anymore since I have blueray, but it functions as my receiver.

I was at Costco yesterday and they had a Sony surround sound soundbar with wired subwoofer on sale for $115 (SOny HT-CT60). The demo system sounded really nice and the reviews are decent for the entry level price.

What is your opinion on soundbars? I like the thought of less clutter/wiring, and I assume the sound would be on par with my old junky 5.1. I know I can spend a bit more for a nice new 5.1 system with a receiver but don't want to put any extra money towards it.

Thanks

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have an 8 year old Pioneer 5 disc dvd player with 5.1 surround that came as an all-in-one from Wal-Mart or something. Think I paid $300 new. Swapped out 2 of the Pioneer speakers for some Optimus shelf speakers I had lying around and the 2 rear speakers are up front since I didnt want to bother running wires to the back of the living room (ie all 5 speakers + sub are up front next to the TV). I don't use the dvd player at all anymore since I have blueray, but it functions as my receiver.

I was at Costco yesterday and they had a Sony surround sound soundbar with wired subwoofer on sale for $115 (SOny HT-CT60). The demo system sounded really nice and the reviews are decent for the entry level price.

What is your opinion on soundbars? I like the thought of less clutter/wiring, and I assume the sound would be on par with my old junky 5.1. I know I can spend a bit more for a nice new 5.1 system with a receiver but don't want to put any extra money towards it.

Thanks
Soundbar tech still kind of sucks. I'll go with my 7.1 sound system until soundbar tech is perfect. I've got like a 7k sound system right now, and it's embedded in the walls, so it's not a big deal. I doubt I'd find a soundbar system that could match the quality I have right now.

Also, you won't get a good soundbar system for 115.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
While a $115 soundbar will probably be on par with your old 5.1 system, soundbars in general have come a long way. A soundbar sounds like it would be a better option for you considering you dont even have the rears in the right spot. A decent soundbar has a simulated 5.1 and a really nice can have a simulated 7.1 sound. All comes down to how much you want to pay. Advantage now of course is having HDMI or Fiber optic sound on a sound bar instead of your red/white composite cable that you more then likely have now so you should notice a significant increase in sound quality coming from your bluray player.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Soundbar tech still kind of sucks. I'll go with my 7.1 sound system until soundbar tech is perfect. I've got like a 7k sound system right now, and it's embedded in the walls, so it's not a big deal. I doubt I'd find a soundbar system that could match the quality I have right now.

Also, you won't get a good soundbar system for 115.
Did you actually just compare a soundbar with a $7,000 7.1 surround system? Of course your 7.1 system is going to be better, I doubt there will be a ever be a soundbar that would compare with it at any point in the next 20 years.

Christ, that's like someone asking for opinions on Honda Civics and claiming they suck because your Ferrari is better.

Good soundbars can be a pretty nice upgrade over just your TV, or really old surround systems(and Optimus speakers generally suck, thats Radio Shacks in-house brand). I'd probably take a good soundbar over a decade-old 5.1 system with shitty speakers. Soundbars are also pretty decent if you don't have an easy way to place rear speakers for a new 5.1(or better) system.

All that being said, I'm not sure a $115 soundbar will actually bebetterthan your current system, but it is probably comparable if you are looking to reduce clutter/wiring. Vizio and Pioneer both make some really good soundbars, but the really good entry level ones are in the $200-$300 range(with sub)

Edit - actually I was wrong on the price(hadn't looked at pricing in a while). Something like this would be really nice for not a whole lot more moneyhttp://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-VHT215-T...s=Vizio+VHT215. It's one of the higher rated entry-level setups.

Here are the highest rated ones on Amazon, quite a few under $200 -http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-E...ics/3237803011

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did you actually just compare a soundbar with a $7,000 7.1 surround system? Of course your 7.1 system is going to be better, I doubt there will be a ever be a soundbar that would compare with it at any point in the next 20 years.
I had a audio visual company just set up my new movie room, and they were trying to sell me a high end soundbar. Part of that is that I wanted to move to a room that is built like a great hall in my house. There were too many angles and cubbies to make it work, other than to buy a soundbar. He was trying to sell me on the fact that the soundbar would compensate.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
damn I can't even imagine how good "Madrea goes to prison" sounds on that system.

do you hire other African Americans to come over and shout out "DAMN!!" and "OH Wakandan PLEASE!" during the movie to complete the movie theater experience?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I had a audio visual company just set up my new movie room, and they were trying to sell me a high end soundbar. Part of that is that I wanted to move to a room that is built like a great hall in my house. There were too many angles and cubbies to make it work, other than to buy a soundbar. He was trying to sell me on the fact that the soundbar would compensate.
Lol. You are such a fucking douche. I've never seen someone try to shoehorn bragging into posts as bad as this. Worse than silver spoon Eomer. Lol.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
^ I've wondered about that Vizio bar. It ways wins all the "best of" for reasonable priced sound bars. I have an older Samsung soundbar 2.1 that was like $700 new about six years ago. I'd bet that Vizio one is leaps better today.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for the input. Joeboo those links are great. Fidlen the soundbar I was looking at does have optical so it should be a nice sound jump over the old component input I hope?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lol. You are such a fucking douche. I've never seen someone try to shoehorn bragging into posts as bad as this. Worse than silver spoon Eomer. Lol.
Class envy much? The subject was traditional setup versus surround. Using a soundbar is necessary when you have weird shaped rooms, a point you missed in that post. That would be the only reason I'd get a soundbar. Other than that, why not go with a real system that has real power? There's nothing worse than watching a movie with explosions that sound dull and flat.

Back on topic, the last time I tested soundbars, they were absolute crap. There was no actual surround sound, and no ooomph without a subwoofer. I remember an article where the reviewers tested all of the leading soundbars and stated that none of them were replicating actual surround sound. I know they've gotten better, but it's just not the same.

If wires are an issue, you could find someone handy to tidy them up. There's no need to spend a ton of money on a professional install if you can find the right guy.

At least with a traditional setup, if funds are an issue, you can still upgrade somewhat as you go.

Even current reviewers say this. It just doesn't sound the same.http://diginsider.com/2012/08/08/soundbar-vs-surround/. I'd stay with the traditional 5.1 setup, unless you have screwed up rooms. Almost every room in the house I am in is built wrong for surround sound, I've thought about going soundbar, but just can't do it. I'd rather sit in a bedroom converted over to a mancave than go the soundbar route.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lol @ "class envy."
It is what it is. What I paid for my system doesn't invalidate my argument, it was a statement of fact, and not bragging. I'd much rather pay for a traditional setup then go the soundbar route, whether it's at the low, mid or high range of system setups. I have yet to hear a soundbar comparable to a traditional setup.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
it's funny because he has no idea why people don't like him, he's really that dense. probably the same way in real life.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I had a like a $300 Sony Soundbar. It was pretty much junk compared to an actual surround sound system. I think anyone who tries to tell you that they are comparable is full of shit. Don't waste your money on one, stop being lazy and do a real surround setup and you'll be much happier.

Dis

Confirmed Male
I had a like a $300 Sony Soundbar. It was pretty much junk compared to an actual surround sound system. I think anyone who tries to tell you that they are comparable is full of shit. Don't waste your money on one, stop being lazy and do a real surround setup and you'll be much happier.
Pretty much this. I have a Sony soundbar in the study, and a correctly set up 5.1 in the living room. Not even close. Sound bar is loud? That is about it. 5.1 is a Yamaha receiver with the formerly known as "Speaker Company" speakers, who know own Boston Acoustics, along with Denon etc. Anyways, dog freaks out when we are watching a movie in the living room when the rear speakers go off.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I have a Denon head unit with Mirage Nanosat speakers. Probably about 600-700 total into the system and it sounds amazing compared to my old home theater. I hear so many new sounds that I didn't before. I have not heard any sound bars that come close but it really depends on what you want to spend.