New Star Wars MMO? (EA no longer has exclusive on Star Wars games)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
but whatever the next one is will be the wowkiller!
Oblig:

1612645080684.png

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Isn't the MMO craze dead as studios finally accepted that WoW's success was a fluke that could never be recreated?
FF14 literally turned expected loss years into profit years for Square Enix and has been a solid cash foundation since.

The key is to not suck at making a game, which only a handful of studios are capable of doing.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
FF14 literally turned expected loss years into profit years for Square Enix and has been a solid cash foundation since.

The key is to not suck at making a game, which only a handful of studios are capable of doing.
FF14 also had to be completely remade, literally.

This could turn it around for whatever that shitty Bioware MMO that I already forgot the name of it was. Woke-Ironman or something?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
TESO and FF14 slapped and proved there is still space in the market

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I could get into a Massive game using their Division 2 engine for a star wars 3rd person shooter. Unless they pull a Massive fail in the end game and loot department, lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Sorry but TESO is garbage. At least IMO. Boring, bland, and I cant even remember anything about it when I took a necro 1-end game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Your ideas of MMOs are dead. Online persistent games with a real money cash shop will continue to reign. Even shitty Neverwinter makes money.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I guess it depends on what you classify as an MMO.

If Destiny and The Division are MMOs, then no, clearly people are still making them.

correct. In an odd turn of events Mist is spot on In this thread.

mmo doesn’t mean EQ anymore and hasn’t for 15 years.

this will be their attempt at GTA Online meets Destiny meets The Avengers meets Division meets war frame meets.......

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah TESO is still popular, I always forget that game exists.

I heard it was pretty cool, had a lot of DAoC vibes.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sorry but TESO is garbage. At least IMO. Boring, bland, and I cant even remember anything about it when I took a necro 1-end game.

I mean in terms of financial performance. TESO did big numbers and sustained subs over the years.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm always interested in a new MMO. Simply put, if there is more competition with a higher quality... then even if I dont like it personally, it will filter over to the MMO's I do enjoy and make them (hopefully of course) step up their game.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My friend works on SWTOR, it apparently still generates enough monthly profits to support development costs on other projects in addition to its own. Dunno if that will remain true once there's another star wars mmo available

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
More MMO announcements that lead to giant flops could turn it around for Pantheon!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
TESO has an active end game both pve/pvp. Not everyone's cup of tea tho

It somehow maintained heaps of subs of the years-- mostly riding on the franchise name I'd guess.

Like when you think TESO would be bleeding money, it was printing money.

It's possible it brought in people from Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls franchise (consoles people even) that just aren't very MMO savvy and remain subscribed.

FF14 is a lot easier to explain. TESO not as much.

• 1Picard

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
How many FF14 GCD’s did it take to write that post, 2 or 3?

• 1Solidarity

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thankfully I like lore and setting much more so I love it in bursts. My issue is I don’t care about the raids or PVP. I just want to do the story. I can finish that off in a day or two so I don’t usually play the game but once or twice a year.