New Tonight Show/Late Night Talk Show News/Review Thread

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Kimmel sucks as a host. The few times I've watched, his jokes aren't funny or delivered well, and he's horrible at talking with his guests. Ferguson is hit or miss, but he comes off as drunk every night.

I didn't like Fallon at first, but I think he grew into it. His bits are always funny, impressions A+ (bob dylan cracks me up), and his interviews always seem like he's friends with all his guests and they're just chatting and playing stupid games.

I miss Conan and don't DL too often, it's a shame it's not on hulu or streaming site.

I don't think Seth Myers is a natural choice for a talk show host - He comes off condescending (to me) when talking to people so I don't know how that will work out. He's funny and I like his humor, though.

P.S. Portlandia is pretty horrible. 1 of 10 skits actually works.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Kimmel sucks as a host. The few times I've watched, his jokes aren't funny or delivered well, and he's horrible at talking with his guests. Ferguson is hit or miss, but he comes off as drunk every night.
He's an alcoholic that's been sober since 1992.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'll actually make some time to watch Craig. He does the best "interviews". It's just good times watching Craig be a creeper to the ladies. And it's a better time when one of the ladies decides to beat him at his own game and go on the offensive. Craig sorta doesn't know how to deal with it when it happens. Conan used to do the exact same bit, but Craig is better at the bit. Conan generally has funnier skits. Craig doesn't really have skits at all, he's just a goofy fuck.

I'm glad Seth Myers got a talk show.. but honestly... dunno if he'll manage to pull it off.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I think Letterman is the most intelligent and insightful of the group. I prefer hearing his actual opinions and serious discussions to his comedy stuff. He's easily the best of the bunch when it comes to interviewing politicians, journalists, and other, similar types of people.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man the unplugged U2 on the first show was fucking awesome. Check it out if you did not see on youtube. The first song they did was plugged and was ~meh~ but the second they did unplugged and I was surprised. I dont even like U2 that much but man, that dude can belt it out.

spronk

FPS noob
i only pretty much watch the daily show but i like ferguson, fallon, colbert, and kimmel for their sense of humor and fun. Conan and Letterman occasionally do funny skits (Conan's stuff with his staff is awesome) but a lot more rare i think. ferguson's no-audience interview with Stephen Fry was legendary.

kimmel's pranks are crazy, his latest yesterday

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Man the unplugged U2 on the first show was fucking awesome. Check it out if you did not see on youtube. The first song they did was plugged and was ~meh~ but the second they did unplugged and I was surprised. I dont even like U2 that much but man, that dude can belt it out.
Yah, that song on the couch was great.

I think Ferguson's show is the best. Geoff is really funny.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Ferguson is charismatic but his talk show is boring as hell. Letterman has always been too cynical for my tastes, although he had a lot of good musical guests in the 90s. Conan is ok but his show isn't as bold as it used to be and I've started to find his interviews annoying.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I think Letterman is the most intelligent and insightful of the group. I prefer hearing his actual opinions and serious discussions to his comedy stuff. He's easily the best of the bunch when it comes to interviewing politicians, journalists, and other, similar types of people.
I have been trying to explain this to my wife for a long time. I mostly like it when he's arguing with Bill O'Reilly.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Craig Ferguson is extremely underrated. I think he's especially good at his monologues compared to the other late night hosts. Jimmy Kimmel is another one who doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's not necessarily the funniest of the bunch, but he tends to do some absolutely hilarious skits and videos.
You and I have similar opinions, I didn't like Fallon at first either and now I love his show.

Ferguson I think is underrated too. The dude is a little off the wall at times but he is usually good for more than a few laughs.

Kimmel is perhaps the greatest troll late night has ever seen. That man has some absolutely awesome pranks that he does.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
I've been watching The Late, Late Show since Craig Kilborn was the host. You want to talk about a boring host, Craig Kilborn was it. Once he left they had a lot of guest hosts, and Craig Ferguson was one of them. I remember watching his first episode and it was kinda awkward but funny as shit. He didn't follow the normal Late Night format that was invented by Johnny Carson/Jack Parr, so it was like a breath of fresh air.

Craig Ferguson doesn't like the late night format, so he does everything he can to not fall into it. He swears all the time, he rips up the questionnaire cards he's supposed to use during the interview, and he normally doesn't talk about what the guest is there to promote until they're almost out of time. Most the time his interviews are just two people talking about random shit, and when he's got a hot lady guest it can get fucking hilarious quick, because Craig is a pervy dude.

Here's a sampling:
Kate Mara
Zack Galifianakis
Amanda Peet
And my newest fav:Abbie Cornish

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like Conan for skits/remote bits. When he's out in the real world dealing with normal people or anyone who isn't an on-air talent type it's the best.

Ferguson for monologues. He goes off the cuff the most and is the best at it. And he's stuck with Geoff for so long it's insane. Never would have thought they'd really keep a robot sidekick as a permanent fixture, it's awesome.

And I guess Letterman for interviews. Each guy has a some guests they are always great with, but he seems the most consistent. Fallon is great with his old SNL buddies especially. Conan with weird unknown folks like the bread expert or animal people, or Norm MacDonald. Ferguson is the bets perv, obviously. Kimmel is probably the best with athletes, most likely because he's genuinely a huge sports nerd/fan.

Colbert is the funniest interviewer in general of course, but it's not a fair comparison.

Fallon is a great all around upgrade to Leno. He's so willing to make himself look like a clown just like Conan, plus he gets great guests and gets them to play along.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
What's with Seth's studio? It looks like they had $200 in the budget for furniture/decorations.

Other than that, he "read" his monologue too much. Didn't have that relaxed comedian way of delivering the punchlines. I'm willing to give him some time, but the first show didn't impress me at all.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
What's with Seth's studio? It looks like they had $200 in the budget for furniture/decorations.

Other than that, he "read" his monologue too much. Didn't have that relaxed comedian way of delivering the punchlines. I'm willing to give him some time, but the first show didn't impress me at all.
Fallon was pretty bad about this at first, also. So was Carson Daley. Fallon eventually learned to relax and became a lot more natural. Carson didn't. I think it takes everyone a while to get used to that sort of thing (unless they're seasoned stand-up comedians, I guess), and those that can are the ones who make it. The others, like Carson, end up getting shunted to the side.