New World

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not that its an excuse not to have it - but they really dont have any locations where swimming is needed. Theyve went out of their way to make 90% of the water areas shallow so you can traverse those areas. I would rather just have swimming, but I dont feel like its high on their list of shit to implement.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
It seems like parts of the map are designed specifically around the idea that you can't move a group of people through deep water. Specifically the Fort islands in First Light / Restless Shore / Monarch Bluffs, all have obvious chokepoints either via narrow bridge crossings or shallow water shoals in order to reach the island the fort(s) are on. While I doubt this comes into play very often you can kind of see the idea that may have once been there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Nobody other than a few wants a forced PVP game. This has been proven time and time again in failed mmorpgs. Roaming 5 man kill squads ruining your shit and camping your fucking corpses for a hour, when yoru trying to farm some lumber, until you quit in disgust is no ones idea of a fun game, unless your fucked in the head.

This is why AoC is going to have to change some things to be successful long term. Current game design makes it sound too much "play to crush" a la Shadowbane, and we all know how that type of game play turned out. Game was dead in a month.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is why AoC is going to have to change some things to be successful long term. Current game design makes it sound too much "play to crush" a la Shadowbane, and we all know how that type of game play turned out. Game was dead in a month.

Maybe, but the guy at the helm of that game loves that style of play. Can he set that aside to make money or is he dead set on "making a game I wanted". It's kickstarted, so doesn't even lose all his own money.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im sure it will do fine. Plenty of people that like that style of PvP stuff. Just not for me. It will be probabaly relegated to the niche PVP type category. Like DAOC or Shadowbane or WAR...etc...

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's a fun game type imo IF you have a set group or guild going in. If you are just solo and try to jump into always on pvp like that, is can be brutal and make you quit fast.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

I haven’t read up on aoc much, but isn’t based off Archeage and Aion? An American take on those? Last time I played those, you didn’t exactly slam your balls in the grinder playing solo.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ah the "oh I played it last beta" (re: August 2020) poster. Classic. It's the exact same game guys, they decided to delay it a year, then do NOTHING for that year until their release date!
I know people who are playing it just like I knew people who were playing it for years when I had access to the alpha but never downloaded it because it was a bad version of a game in a genre I had no interest in (BUT HOW DID I KNOW?!?!).

I checked it out and had it on as background with streams to see if it was worth giving another shot. Not a whole lot has changed. Main thing I will give them is they added a bunch of weapons. Otherwise mostly just fixed some broken shit and broke some other shit. The regular questing (story, sidequests not involving the boards) is slightly better but the base level was so bad it's a bit like multiplying by zero. The PvP war instances are identical although they crash a lot less now. The faction balance still looks the same - every server is going to be owned by one faction after Week 1 because Yellow will be dead on 95% of them eliminating the 1v1v1 that can turn into a 1v2 team up. The streams I was following mostly stopped streaming once they hit end game, just like I stopped playing when I hit end game a year ago.

Game was different in 2020 than it was in 2019 but a guy who told me he wasnt playing it again when I asked him then outlined a bunch of reasons and theyre all still true in 2021.

As I said before, not giving it that second shot. But I quit FF14 a month after its re-release and it's apparently hot shit now for some people so who knows, Bezos could always turn it around

Xerge

<Donor>
As I said before, not giving it that second shot. But I quit FF14 a month after its re-release and it's apparently hot shit now for some people so who knows, Bezos could always turn it around
I wish you would have lead with this so I didnt have to read it all

Grinded out the first dungeon last night finally. I enjoyed what I experienced although I hope they can fine tune how tanking/healing operate. I was dpsing and felt bad for my homies. Are tanks doing s&s/2handers?

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nobody other than a few wants a forced PVP game. This has been proven time and time again in failed mmorpgs. Roaming 5 man kill squads ruining your shit and camping your fucking corpses for a hour, when yoru trying to farm some lumber, until you quit in disgust is no ones idea of a fun game, unless your fucked in the head.
No no, those games were not properly made, its not that there isn't high demand for such games, also players don't know that they really do want open pvp games. According to a streamer.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Sanctuaries have a countdown timer until your PvP flag enables once leaving them, but they also need one for removing the flag upon entering. I was cheesing one of the Fast Travel locations because they are all flagged as Sanctuaries anytime I was getting into PvP trouble because they effectively act as a "home base" in a childrens game of tag. You are safe as soon as you enter the little radius they occupy no matter what was happening 1s before.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Sanctuaries have a countdown timer until your PvP flag enables once leaving them, but they also need one for removing the flag upon entering. I was cheesing one of the Fast Travel locations because they are all flagged as Sanctuaries anytime I was getting into PvP trouble because they effectively act as a "home base" in a childrens game of tag. You are safe as soon as you enter the little radius they occupy no matter what was happening 1s before.
I did that for a few minutes after realizing I could. Im not sure its a safe guard against griefing or what, but its definitely a way to be a degenerate gamer. Bunch of little shit like that needs to be fine tuned.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hadn’t tried tanking yet, so picked up sword and board and hammer(into the cc tree), and went heavily into constitution after hitting the first strength perk. Also heavy armor. I feel invincible.

Xerge

<Donor>
Hadn’t tried tanking yet, so picked up sword and board and hammer(into the cc tree), and went heavily into constitution after hitting the first strength perk. Also heavy armor. I feel invincible.
I just tanked the first dungeon myself. Make sure you have 2 weapons with taunt gems socketed, 2h hammer technically has an aoe taunt with shockwave so i think s&s with warham is tank meta. Also I think you want points into STR to help with your threat gen., although im not sure if more dps=more threat yet. I did really well swinging my 2h hammer on trash and swapping to 1h for minis and bosses.

Daidraco

Some of the skill descriptions on the Hammer state how it works with a Taunt Gem. The best hammer CC imo is the one that flattens on the left tree. The other ones, the cc is so small that it may interrupt but thats about it. The mega taunt is the hammer ability that sends "shock waves" meters away from your character. I really like the hammer, but some of the skills can flat out miss a target based on elevation which is bull shit. Ex. Flatten a mob, use an ability thats a jab-like ability (far left one) and it totally miss the target even if you're directing the hit down low. Ive noticed a lot of abilities are that way across different weapons, so its possible thats the way they intended it. But on that same note, I honestly dont think some of the passive talents work at all. You can apply rend on targets and they still take the exact same amount of damage, regardless of the type of NPC you're fighting.

I'd really like to see them make a third tree for each weapon and have more specialized skills pertaining to how you fight. Three skills is tolerable if I have a wide variety to choose from. But I know AGS is already struggling with balance off the limited abilities we already have.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How is healing in this game? Is it fun?

Targeting takes getting used to. Otherwise sure. You lack some damage when leveling but pretty hard to die. If you spec right. It sucks its the only stat/weapon without a counterpart weapon. You are basically all focus but only have 1 weapon that uses that stat. Every other stat gets multiple weapons. Your best bet is choosing a 2ndary weapon with some abilities you want, them gemming it to use a % of your focus stat. The few abilities you do get from life staff look and feel great(again once you get the targeting down).

Almost all your damage is basic light/heavy attacks. The usual healer setups don't really use the 1 damage ability(orb). You have no CC unless you use a 2nd weapon with some.

I'd use light armor to level up with (bigger roll and 20% damage) and get a set of heavy for max level(especially for dungeons).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
so for people at max lvl, wheres the best gear coming from, dungeons/raids or just zerg fest pvp? if its zerg fest pvp i got no interest GW2 was a shitshow, and it dosent seem like amazon is gonna put restrictions on joining an overpopulated faction