New World

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not sure if anyone can answer, but I kind of want to play life staff, but I'm worried I won't even be able to solo the PVE content. Is that retarded? It seems good up through level 16, but I think everything is kind of weird up through 20.
Nahh, I would not worry from what I saw. Besides you have 2 weapon slots to supplement each other if one is getting weak. Also check the auction house for upgrades. Sometimes an upgrade is huge, and from what I saw ,at least in beta, is that the AH stuff is cheap. But dont forget you have 2 weapon slots.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Making gear worthless is not the answer either. Or else why the fuck have it in the game at all. There needs to be a happy medium here.
You don't make gear worthless. You cap gear in PvP specifically - at least for the "war" portions. Unless you don't give a fuck about balance and being competitive.

BDO has this same problem, where gear checks happen all the time in open world. And I'm fine with that in open world modes. But in a controlled, competitive environment? Fucking stupid.

T1 nodes are one of BDOs most popular PvP modes. Not surprisingly, it's the only node war mode with capped gear score.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So just been chatting with Solidfps on his stream and he just basically said that he has pretty much done everything in this game PVE wise, 99% of all available quests, all dungeons several times..etc.. Hes now 60 and he said all that was about 100 hrs/played. And hes not a mmorpg player so those that are and more familiar with systems will probabaly do this faster. He also said that next time he wont be wasting his time doing all of the quests, and he can get there faster whatever that means. Maybe town board, pure grinding? IDK

So there is more shit to grind at 60 like new faction gear and such, but yeah 100-120 hrs.
I am at 33.6 hours played with my primary character of the three I have played on (It seemed like every server I chose the first day was hitting the limit), level 21, I have a ton of time gathering, most of my gathering skills are 50-60+, my resource crafting is 50+, and my individual crafting is still in the single digits, I haven't crafted anything more than Iron/Uncommon stuff for myself since I started doing the Faction quests and why sell on the Market Boards in Beta? There is a lot to do as far as maxing out various skills and levels beyond levels and content, assuming that even a thing beyond lvl 20 ala FF14.

Edit: I assume it is a thing, and you are expected to be able to get 20 points in every weapon on a single character and try out multiple builds, and move between them as you want with only an Azoth cost.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
From what I saw, and my little playtime is that its annoying because it all feels disjointed. Like Take wow for an example. It was a quest hub game but it made more sense. You got your 6 or so quests and they would lead you in a pretty well defined patth, not straying too far from the quest hub. Then you turned them all in, and got a second set of quests for that same hub that took you to the remaining places within that hub. Then when all done with that you got a quest that would take you to the next area. A bit of running around, sure, but all within a pretty small area.

In this game the quests felt all disjointed, Running all over and and being divorced from the hub youre supposed to be in. If that makes sense.

Yeah. WoW had a polished quest system that works because it was designed that way. And when there was a glitch in a quest order it was justifiably annoying because it was the system not working. The glitches and breaks in the system are what cause annoyance. By the sounds of it this game is all disjointed systems now that are inherently annoying because of it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So just been chatting with Solidfps on his stream and he just basically said that he has pretty much done everything in this game PVE wise, 99% of all available quests, all dungeons several times..etc.. Hes now 60 and he said all that was about 100 hrs/played. And hes not a mmorpg player so those that are and more familiar with systems will probabaly do this faster. He also said that next time he wont be wasting his time doing all of the quests, and he can get there faster whatever that means. Maybe town board, pure grinding? IDK

So there is more shit to grind at 60 like new faction gear and such, but yeah 100-120 hrs.
Makes sense.

I kept seeing streamers talk about how they were level 15-16 at 15-16 hours in. I'm like...what the fuck? I got there in 7 or 8 hours and I fucked off gathering for most of it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You don't make gear worthless. You cap gear in PvP specifically - at least for the "war" portions. Unless you don't give a fuck about balance and being competitive.

BDO has this same problem, where gear checks happen all the time in open world. And I'm fine with that in open world modes. But in a controlled, competitive environment? Fucking stupid.

T1 nodes are one of BDOs most popular PvP modes. Not surprisingly, it's the only node war mode with capped gear score.
Well thats what they are doing right now but people are bitching that the noobs and lv 25s are too strong vs maxxed peopel that actually put some grind into their game.

I dont fucking know because im not there. I purposefully did nto play too much because I dont want to do the gind 2x. But I would suspect it is a problem when you have lv 25s in green gear 2 shotting lv 60s in all purples. It makes their grind seem worthless. I mean why not stay lv 25 in greens?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure if anyone can answer, but I kind of want to play life staff, but I'm worried I won't even be able to solo the PVE content. Is that retarded? It seems good up through level 16, but I think everything is kind of weird up through 20.

I made it to 30 on life staff with zero issue. Just make sure to upgrade as often as you can. Check faction vendors, the market, craft etc. Also for leveling choose some of the attack options(the beacon or the orb). Make sure to choose some of the good passives(no mana light/heavy attack is a must have, things like fortify on light attack is good etc).

Off hand can be weird. Ice gauntlet for some AE damage/CC(but its int scaled so you do pretty crap damage) or even say hatchet and go the full bezerk line. With that full line you get run speed, a HoT and increased healing on yourself. So on anything tough, you basically pop that, stand in a beacon/dome of healing and laugh.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nahh, I would not worry from what I saw. Besides you have 2 weapon slots to supplement each other if one is getting weak. Also check the auction house for upgrades. Sometimes an upgrade is huge, and from what I saw ,at least in beta, is that the AH stuff is cheap. But dont forget you have 2 weapon slots.
My worry was more because if I'm all in on focus, my 2nd weapon will do shit damage.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I made it to 30 on life staff with zero issue. Just make sure to upgrade as often as you can. Check faction vendors, the market, craft etc. Also for leveling choose some of the attack options(the beacon or the orb). Make sure to choose some of the good passives(no mana light/heavy attack is a must have, things like fortify on light attack is good etc).

Off hand can be weird. Ice gauntlet for some AE damage/CC(but its int scaled so you do pretty crap damage) or even say hatchet and go the full bezerk line. With that full line you get run speed, a HoT and increased healing on yourself. So on anything tough, you basically pop that, stand in a beacon/dome of healing and laugh.
I tried out a build doing life staff and hammer, with heavy armor. That's essentially what it is. Pull everything, stand in circle, and hack it all down with the hammer. Full hp when you're done.

Fire staff is int.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well thats what they are doing right now but people are bitching that the noobs and lv 25s are too strong vs maxxed peopel that actually put some grind into their game.

I dont fucking know because im not there. I purposefully did nto play too much because I dont want to do the gind 2x. But I would suspect it is a problem when you have lv 25s in green gear 2 shotting lv 60s in all purples. It makes their grind seem worthless. I mean why not stay lv 25 in greens?
Yeah, I don't agree with level normalization at all in PvP. Fuck you. You should have to do the bare fucking minimum level of work and reach max level. Create "tiers" of PvP if you're concerned about level 25s PvPing(for the 2 hours they'll spend there). Gear normalization/capping is something that absolutely has to happen in PvP. Unless, like I said, you don't give a fuck about balance/competition.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I did life staff and then hatchet just for the bezerk line. It was basically up every fight. And it gives so much. With that popped, then the beacon and sacred ground(which buffs healing taken too) I wasnt dying just standing there against a bunch of mobs. I would either hatchet them down or just life staff them down. I'd love if sacred ground had a damage component on top of it.

In the end though I really hope they add another focus weapon or add focus to one of the other current weapons. Kind of sucks focus is only 1 weapon when everyone else gets multiple. But I also understand not wanting to make someone be able to heal themselves so much and then switch to be able to do full dps like the other weapons.

Trying out weapons shouldn't too bad. iirc killing someone in pvp gives a pretty good amount of weapon exp. From what I remember and have watched/heard, it was something like 1500 weapon exp just for a kill. Compare that to the like 30-50 you get per mob.

Xevy

Log Wizard
You can very easily level life staff/X. Grab a chunky melee like an axe or sword and board or even spear. Open with lifestaff, pew pew pew until it gets closer, throw a circle or two below you, switch and fuck it up. We had a dude heal AND tank the first dungeon with our 4 man group. He had me offhealing with lifestaff but I had 0 investment in focus and literally started the dungeon with lvl 2 lifestaff so i did very little except the last Amrine boss.

Travel in this game is a one-time investment. You go to the cities/towers and then you've got fast travel. It costs like 100 azoth give or take based on weight from those points to go anywhere and that's a joke to farm. Mobs give +10 azoth on kill for Ancient/Dead Earth etc sometimes. And sometimes you'll find a mini chest with like 100 azoth in it off them. The time spent leaving town to run to these points is supposed to be slow so you can look at resources and shit and take note where to go later for farming. Once you're lvl 20+ and capped at Azoth traveling around the map to discovered places is incredibly easy. A lot of people don't remember, but early WoW was much, much more brutal for traveling. Flightpaths were all over but you had to actually TRAVEL rather than TP across. You'd spend most of your time in one zone, but when you had to go anywhere else it was a 5-10 minute flight. A lot of people forget our roots. Mounts helped, but we didn't have that shit til 40 so outside hunters, shaman, and druids everyone was fucked.

Leveling up in WARs is standard MMO shit. Been happening since at LEAST Warhammer and even happens in WoW BG's. You still get the bonuses from your gear so you're going to have a big stat boost on people in particular areas, as well as specific traits on gear which can play a MAJOR factor. I mean the person with 20% CD reduction and +40% crit damage with +150 more dex is going to destroy the person without it 1v1. Especially with the skill specific perks of which some are completely game changing.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I watched a Sacriel vs Ellohime war thing yesterday. It was entertaining but it looked like defense had some big advantages. Sacriel's attacking side eventually got pinned in their spawn.

Ello popped into their discord to say gg and stuff even though they got kind of stomped. Cool to see that kind of friendly rivalry. There was a bit of that on the old daoc galahad server with all the big players on IRC back in ye olden tymes. :emoji_older_woman:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As far as I can tell from various streamers: Naked lvl25 vs. naked lvl60 - the lvl25 is buffed, but not overwhelmingly so. A twinked lvl25 in best gear vs. normal geared lvl60, the lvl25 will be stronger; and so a normal geared lvl25 vs. a twinked lvl60, the lvl60 should win. Yet, there could be an issue atm where healing from skills is broken, in favor of the lower lvl (less HP) in that their dmg is scaled up such that they heal faaar to much of any incoming dmg, while the higher lvl character (who has more HP) isn't getting as much healing, but still taking more dmg. There was some post about it on the NW reddit.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I watched a Sacriel vs Ellohime war thing yesterday. It was entertaining but it looked like defense had some big advantages. Sacriel's attacking side eventually got pinned in their spawn.

Ello popped into their discord to say gg and stuff even though they got kind of stomped. Cool to see that kind of friendly rivalry. There was a bit of that on the old daoc galahad server with all the big players on IRC back in ye olden tymes. :emoji_older_woman:
The cannons for the defending team apparently are scaled for lvl60's, so if the attacking team is going to take looots of dmg from them if they are mostly lower than 60.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea I think they said they start at tier 3 for the defense. Attackers can set them up but if they get attacked they get interrupted. And then they have to upgrade them twice without getting hit?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So all this talk about how this is a 90% PVP game does make me a bit concerned.

If the gear is mostly normalized, what's the goal? It doesn't sound like there's PVP gear.

Is it just PVP for PVP sake? Try to take over territory for...what exactly?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Nah. It's a garbage game. Laughably bad combat, world design that looks like they bought elements from a Unity store for $50 and threw them together in a few days. Did I mention the bad combat? It was designed by toddlers. Character models and animations are also bottom of the barrel.
The ESO thread is over there <---

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Problem is the respawns for defenders. They get to respawn right on the fucking points. I watched a few streams and this really became apparent when I watched the same fight from the defenders point of view. Defender tanks were dying on the points and 10 seconds later after they died they were back in the fight, full health, cruising the attackers again. So whats the point of killing the defenders when they get to respawn right on the point?

Either they need way longer respawn timers, or make them spawn back in their base farther away from the points so they have to run back.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user