New World

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Will see, who knows. Not sure random CS is 100% confirmation. But If that pre-order thing is true and it auto goes to your first character, probably don't want to risk it.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Yep, just saw the confirmation, names are global.

Like I said, this was a stupid fucking decision. Staggering releases is just going to make the first ones that come up get absolutely fucking destroyed. Had they done all regions at the same time this would be avoided.

That sounds fucking awful. Whelp good luck with that shit. I am liking my choice to let the dust settle on this cluster fuck before I bother giving it a go.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That sounds fucking awful. Whelp good luck with that shit. I am liking my choice to let the dust settle on this cluster fuck before I bother giving it a go.
I've never seen your name outside of you, and the preorder bonuses are "meh" at best. The Amulet is replaced within the first 20-25 levels. With Deluxe, the Skins are goofy looking, the emotes for standard and deluxe are some shit that I personally will probably never use. Same with the Title. I'm sure there will be a queue, but even in Closed Beta the servers werent God Awful. Ie. Quit being lame and come kill people with me.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can always find good info on Reddit:

Sans titre.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I tend to go hard at resource gathering then quit before I do anything else in games like these. Lemme know where to show up if you want a power dump of mats early on

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I thought names are tied to server groups. Server groups are a handful of individual servers, at least in Beta, like 2-4 servers. I don't see why DickWeed in EU server timezone in a certain server group would affect anything in a different region, or a different server group because you can never come across your duplicated name/person. It would make sense for them to tie the names to the server groups for future merging purposes.

anything else would be kind of dumb prob

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It would be dumb. But it's how the betas worked.

The fact that Amazon can't get their shit together to address it has me worried. They've done really poorly with managing the community.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If the plan is to merge servers due to them trying to force a population spread of 1000 concurrent users, and they cant realistically plan which servers are going to need to be merged - simply add the surname to the naming policy of the region. Even with far reaching plans, it doesnt make sense that an EU server group would share names with the West server group. For Ex. "John" is taken, the player can choose to use "John White". Its done in other games, so surely it isnt out of the question to do that.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Amazon putting big money out for #Ad streamers. Some lesser known, mid-tier streamers like Mathil (nearly exclusively PoE streamer with 2-7k viewers) just said he has a sponsored stream for New World. Definitely putting the money out there to try and make this work, now let's just hope it doesn't fucking explode and they can add end game content fast enough to keep interest past 3-4 weeks.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I’ll be as Amycus Carrow if anyone ever needs a tank. Playing Syndicate and I suppose I’ll roll on Ys if that os actually where some folks from the community will roll. Have some rl friends playing, but other than that would be nice to see familiar folks(even if I do lurk more than post).

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They're getting pretty skewered for this. Something that should've been obvious to anyone who's ever played an MMO period, but somehow Amazon just didn't plan for it?

And it's worse than just character names, as company names are global too. So people are going to be slamming the shit out of the EU servers to reserve a character name, but also people trying to level up on them to reserve a company name.

Having staggered releases with this name shit means everyone is going to be DDoSing the EU servers instead of spreading it out across the world.

Just absolutely mind boggling decision making. You'd think someone in the initial design stage might've said "hey, why are we making our database worldwide and no region or cluster specific?"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The obvious fix is to launch everything at the same time to mitigate the server fuckings that are going to happen, but I don't anticipate that kind of competence.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
They're getting pretty skewered for this. Something that should've been obvious to anyone who's ever played an MMO period, but somehow Amazon just didn't plan for it?

And it's worse than just character names, as company names are global too. So people are going to be slamming the shit out of the EU servers to reserve a character name, but also people trying to level up on them to reserve a company name.

Having staggered releases with this name shit means everyone is going to be DDoSing the EU servers instead of spreading it out across the world.

Just absolutely mind boggling decision making. You'd think someone in the initial design stage might've said "hey, why are we making our database worldwide and no region or cluster specific?"
It's bad all around. bad for eu players that will have a laggy launch with everyone trying to smash the servers, and bad for other regions that feel the need to reserve. It's absolutely a newb mistake and kind of hilarious, if not a bit depressing. This is common sense.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users