New World

mrmoneda

Trakanon Raider
I believe the battles above are NOT instanced, but I could be wrong.
I'm not sure how the "instance" is supposed to work (like how people get access), but I believe the kind of fight in that video is instanced; 50 people to a side.

Vedette

<Donor>
I'm not sure how the "instance" is supposed to work (like how people get access), but I believe the kind of fight in that video is instanced; 50 people to a side.

It's a war dec, the same system as before, only now it's instanced. I have no idea how you actually enter it as well. It maybe an automatic thing at the start of the war dec. They had very set windows of stages for each war dec.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why weapon swaps on PC? Because having 3 skill bars of hotkeys is not fun game play. 2004 called and they want their gameplay back, lol.

If you think having three skill bars is "not fun gameplay", you're in for a laugh: in New World, cooldowns are persistent, the only thing having only one skillbar does, is hiding the two other ones. That's all. There's no combos, no cooldown management, you just have one skillbar visible, and two other hidden skillbars.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is what i never liked about pseudo-survival games, the combat is always extremely shallow. It doesn't look hard to master at all. It seems more like the meta decisions of what to attack & when as a raid is what will matter.

and idk if its only b/c its in alpha but everyone looked exactly the same like it's Dynasty Warriors

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Like I already mentioned, there are delay in combat between attack/block/dodge/abilities, it is not that good, better than ESO tho

Argarth

On the verandah
Like I already mentioned, there are delay in combat between attack/block/dodge/abilities, it is not that good, better than ESO tho

Scrolled up and read your other post, and some others. Yikes, if it's even remotely like ESO combat then I might as well un-watch this thread right now, heh.

After reading that, just for kicks I took a character out into Elwynn Forest to murder some Defias, Murlocs, Kobolds etc (no sub). 15 mins later I was still killing them for no other reason than it's still fun as shit to kill stuff in WoW, even on a low level with just a couple of skills. After all these years, still seems like nobody else really gets that part right.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh, fuck tab target bullshit mmo combat. Ive been playing eso when stuck at home and I dont see whats so bad about combat. At least it does away with the tab target, locked target bullshit the other mmos have been doing since EQ. And probably before. It suffers from the old Bethesda bullshit and sometimes its not smooth, you get locked in animations and shit, but its not bad. If this game can make something like that but smoother? Shit, its not bad at all. Plus I like the low amount of skills to spam. Fuck 4 x 10 bars of skills you need to wade thorough, several doing the same shit but just a bit different. Coming up with stupid "meta" rotations you need to perform for best deeps. Like those stupid mmo mice they have with 100 buttons on the side, lol. Fuck that shit. Im getting too old for crap like that.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Plus I like the low amount of skills to spam.

My sentiment exactly. Anyone coming from an EQ background shouldn't have a problem with low APM narrow-choice combat.

Some of you guys played a little too much WoW and, well, some of you also pre-ordered this game. That's what I've gathered from the last 2 pages.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Getting out of formulaic tab-target isn't the right move when it's poorly done, when it's just a gimmick to make you aim with a crosshair all the time instead of hitting tab once. In New World, good luck having fun trying to hit any moving target with 10 or more people around. About meta rotations, I'll take a 3-6 skill rotation any day instead of spamming left-click to the ground. Having less skills at your disposal doesn't mean you spam them less, especially if you have to swap your skill bars all the time.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LoL, you make it sound like this is a shooter or some shit. Of course all range skills have lock on assist and shit like blades and such, well it only makes sense if you swing your sword or 2h axe into a crowd of enemies they all take damage, which is not the case in tab target shit.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
Well, all I said was... " it's still fun as shit to kill stuff in WoW, even on a low level with just a couple of skills "

Is it fun as shit to kill stuff in this game? Right now, and in a way that will stand the test of time? If not, then it's probably baked into the engine, just like ESO, and can't be fixed. I could hardly gives a monkey's toss what kind of targeting system they use.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Of course all range skills have lock on assist

Right now, regarding ranged skills there's no lock on or aim assist ingame. You need to constantly aim at your target to land your hits / spells. That's why it seems I'm talking about some shooter. This game's combat gameplay makes targeting unreliable (people / npcs / mobs around) and tedious (having to constantly aim while moving, dodging, blocking, spamming mouse buttons and activating weapon skills).

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
Right now, regarding ranged skills there's no lock on or aim assist ingame. You need to constantly aim at your target to land your hits / spells. That's why it seems I'm talking about some shooter. This game's combat gameplay makes targeting unreliable (people / npcs / mobs around) and tedious (having to constantly aim while moving, dodging, blocking, spamming mouse buttons and activating weapon skills).

There is still time to implement what ESO does. Does everyone know you can actually 'tab' target in eso too? You can lock on a target like a tabtarget mmo and fire a way. It is actually how you reach an optimal parse and deal with certain boss mechanics easier.

Probably just blew everyone's mind.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
LoL, you make it sound like this is a shooter or some shit. Of course all range skills have lock on assist and shit like blades and such, well it only makes sense if you swing your sword or 2h axe into a crowd of enemies they all take damage, which is not the case in tab target shit.
Wait it makes sense to you that you can swing an axe through groups of enemies? Or a sword?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
ESO has pleasantly surprised me at higher levels. I feel like a few of you tried it, got to level 10-15 and quit the game without putting any thought into how you're playing versus an optimal play style. One of the faults ESO has right now is that you go through those first levels with very little guidance, for example, following the "recommended" build guide for your class. Picking what ever ability that sounds or looks cool. When I was around level 20-25, I felt like I was aimlessly putting points into shit so I looked up a some guides.. and low and behold, I was indeed playing the game in a casual noobie fashion. Not only did I need to respec, but I learned about weaving, spell stops etc. and after I was done revamping the character - NPC's that would take me 20-30 seconds were shaved down to around 10, maybe 15 seconds. Some of the Delve bosses would push my shit in before, and now, even if I miss a dodge or similar, I can recover. ESO's combat isnt top tier by any means, but it has more depth than what it leads you to believe.

Point being, most of us have not played TNW at a tier that matters in combat. We dont have good grasp of what item's will do to our combat abilities or if they will change them at all. A lot of people got the Path of Exiles/Diablo vibe from that video that was posted not too long ago. If that vibe has any weight to it, then even though we may only have 3-4 active abilities - what we play like at max level will be completely different than what we have access to right now. There is just too much "unknown" about TNW right now to put this much shade on the combat. Thats not to say that it isnt exactly as described right now, but I am suggesting that those of you that havent played the game, much less those of us that have access to it - we have so little to work with, that I think it's safe to reserve our shade until the game goes live.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xerge

<Donor>
ESO combat is what feign death was to EverQuest. This means that you can be a new player doing 10k DPS tops while i'll come by in my raid specced character and look like a god because Ins, outs, and the nuances of the system. Wasn't meant to be this way but because animation cancelling is baked into the engine and can't be changed to much -- youre given a low floor and high ceiling for skill level.

New World pre order beta will start in a few weeks. Can't wait to swing a fucking hammer around. Gonna smash some fuckers

mrmoneda

Trakanon Raider
This game's combat gameplay makes targeting unreliable (people / npcs / mobs around) and tedious (having to constantly aim while moving, dodging, blocking, spamming mouse buttons and activating weapon skills).
"One man's trash..." This sounds like a great time to me.