New World

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
New World's MMO combat gameplay is a class weapon archetype system, you can wear three different weapons but only equip one at once and you can switch between them in combat with talent trees for each weapon (sword and shield, throwing axe, warhammer, bow, musket, healer staff, dps staff, etc). You also have light / heavy attack, block and dodge (not an invuln frame). You choose your three weapon skills between four or five of them, some of them are clearly designed for siege so don't bother thinking you actually have a choice. There's passive (+10% damage) talents, active skills and stats distribution but it's just a MMO camouflage on a survival game.

If you've already played MMOs out there, you see where it's going: it's another "bro just switch weapon" Elder Scrolls Online-like combat gameplay only this time, it's like it was designed in a cave mural during the stone age. You spam your light / heavy attack and sometimes any of the three weapon skills you have when it's not on cooldown. That's all. There's block but why block when you can just dodge? And about dodge, it's not an invuln frame so you're gonna get out of that AoE and still get hit whether or not the game decides where your character really was at the time. Like, if you're alone you're not gonna get hit, but if there's 5-6 people around you, you will. Neither of doing any of that feels satisfying anyway, so you're in for a heavy -> heavy -> heavy -> light (or dodge?) -> loot repetitive experience with absolutely no joy or excitment at all. Maybe at some point your mind will remember the weapon skills, or maybe not because some of them are so forgetable and out of place during combat you're probably better off without most of them.

It's quite clear this combat system was never designed for MMO, PvE, let alone PvP. It's a survival game design where gathering and woodcutting animations are better made than waving a magic staff, and it suffers comparison so much with any of the existing MMOs out there, even the worst ones, than calling New World a "MMO" is like tieing two spaghetti together and call it a rope. This game is an industrial catastrophe and there's absolutely no way it will turn into anything else. Which is a disgrace because it's Amazon, they could have done something good but instead hired amateurs and spent money on shifting constantly what the game would be. Well, the wheel stopped on the "bad MMO" case and there's not a single chance this will turn good.

Last edited:
  • 11Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 12 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
For now, the end game content is more toward PvP with territory control, castle siege etc., and yet from the very beginning the game doesn't really encourage PvP at all.

You will most likely play through majority of the game via PvE, yet there are no PvE endgame, no raiding, no dungeons, nada. High level players tend to farm Rift but that is it.

Combat/Animation is better than ESO, but there are still delay between attack/block/using ability/dodge or whatsoever. Definitely not good enough, and it needs to be a lot more "responsive" imo.

Questing? Someone already mentioned its pretty boring. Gathering/Crafting? Meh. Social/chat/guild function? meh. UI actually feels like the game is made for console.

The only thing that stands out to me is the game world is absolutely stunning! Level up to 15 before stopping playing.

4.png

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
For now, the end game content is more toward PvP with territory control, castle siege etc., and yet from the very beginning the game doesn't really encourage PvP at all.

You will most likely play through majority of the game via PvE, yet there are no PvE endgame, no raiding, no dungeons, nada. High level players tend to farm Rift but that is it.

Combat/Animation is better than ESO, but there are still delay between attack/block/using ability/dodge or whatsoever. Definitely not good enough, and it needs to be a lot more "responsive" imo.

Questing? Someone already mentioned its pretty boring. Gathering/Crafting? Meh. Social/chat/guild function? meh. UI actually feels like the game is made for console.

The only thing that stands out to me is the game world is absolutely stunning! Level up to 15 before stopping playing.

View attachment 277588

That’s a big fucking hammer.

Also, was he done with that tree? It wasn’t fell properly and now appears to be a widow maker. If those are in game? I am gonna set them all over. Tree on the head motherfucker!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'll second that. The game world is the best looking mmo I've played so far and was the only reason I wanted to log in.

It's a game that was supposed to be survival and they are struggling to pivot. Not saying it can't be done. The PvP may just turn out to be as good as DAoC. Things happen. Beta/alpha isn't the best judge.

Another sore point for me is the character design is uninspiring. Sure they are quality but you're role-playing unattractive pilgrims. No high fantasy sex appeal anywhere. No gear you really hunt for because of the appearance.. etc.

This game feels like it's trying to be a better WvW compared to Gw2, anything more is asking too much imo

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well this is all very disappointing.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Well this is all very disappointing.

Well thing is they have a lot time to fix it up, also combat mechanics in mmos usually always suck due to the repetitive nature of the game. I was holding off criticizing tbh and I already posted in here a while ago that I have some real concerns, but still willing to give them a chance to make it better. It is a very good thing that they delayed the open beta. I've seen games make crazy transformations in very short time, so we'll see.

But keep in mind this game world is a whole lot different than your typical high fantasy mmo. It's built for pvp, and because of that it feels smaller and everything is very rugged, including the characters.

Xerge

<Donor>
To be fair it wouldn't take much to top the current MMO pvp scene. Let's see in TESO you can't group queue atm. WoW has a gear influence/linear grind coupled with 1 second GCD combat, FF14 pvp feels awkward like the arcade game nobody puts quarters into, GW2 is doing okay but the combat isn't aging well. Nothing truly stands out pvp wise. If and that's a big IF TESO can get their shit together by the end of the year it may still hold the crown for the pvp crowd. Both will be competing with Crowfall though.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Weird i preordered this ages ago and was in it last year. However friend who never signed up got an alpha invite this week and im still waiting!

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I just got my alpha invite and am downloading it. But now I'm wondering if I should even spend any time on it if it is so shitty.

Vedette

<Donor>
I just got my alpha invite and am downloading it. But now I'm wondering if I should even spend any time on it if it is so shitty.

It's not that bad. It was originally a survival mmo, that they are now at the last second trying to turn into a sandbox. It has a good combat system, but it's not completely fleshed out. It also has a woeful amount of PVE content. It's worth trying for free if nothing else. IMO, the best iteration of this game is the one I played in closed alpha last November. It was pure survival mmo, and the end game was massive wars every weekend for endgame territory. It would be massive alliances vs massive alliance.

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
Announced today July 23rd pre-order beta starts with a Aug. 25th release. So a month of stress testing.

• 1Like

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have been in the confidential testing for over 6months now. It's a solid MMO but there isn't anything special about it. It's your typical fedx / kill X amount of things type questing game and than you have the rifts. You can solo, all they way to max, the game is good looking and plays well, so If you like modern MMOs I don't see why you wouldn't at least try it.

Xerge

<Donor>
I have been in the confidential testing for over 6months now. It's a solid MMO but there isn't anything special about it. It's your typical fedx / kill X amount of things type questing game and than you have the rifts. You can solo, all they way to max, the game is good looking and plays well, so If you like modern MMOs I don't see why you wouldn't at least try it.

Any comments on this new combat fluff video? Honestly this looks like good drinking fun to me

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Please wait for NDA lift before preordering, this game went to hell and never came back.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
New World's MMO combat gameplay is a class weapon archetype system, you can wear three different weapons but only equip one at once and you can switch between them in combat with talent trees for each weapon (sword and shield, throwing axe, warhammer, bow, musket, healer staff, dps staff, etc). You also have light / heavy attack, block and dodge (not an invuln frame). You choose your three weapon skills between four or five of them, some of them are clearly designed for siege so don't bother thinking you actually have a choice. There's passive (+10% damage) talents, active skills and stats distribution but it's just a MMO camouflage on a survival game.

If you've already played MMOs out there, you see where it's going: it's another "bro just switch weapon" Elder Scrolls Online-like combat gameplay only this time, it's like it was designed in a cave mural during the stone age. You spam your light / heavy attack and sometimes any of the three weapon skills you have when it's not on cooldown. That's all. There's block but why block when you can just dodge? And about dodge, it's not an invuln frame so you're gonna get out of that AoE and still get hit whether or not the game decides where your character really was at the time. Like, if you're alone you're not gonna get hit, but if there's 5-6 people around you, you will. Neither of doing any of that feels satisfying anyway, so you're in for a heavy -> heavy -> heavy -> light (or dodge?) -> loot repetitive experience with absolutely no joy or excitment at all. Maybe at some point your mind will remember the weapon skills, or maybe not because some of them are so forgetable and out of place during combat you're probably better off without most of them.

It's quite clear this combat system was never designed for MMO, PvE, let alone PvP. It's a survival game design where gathering and woodcutting animations are better made than waving a magic staff, and it suffers comparison so much with any of the existing MMOs out there, even the worst ones, than calling New World a "MMO" is like tieing two spaghetti together and call it a rope. This game is an industrial catastrophe and there's absolutely no way it will turn into anything else. Which is a disgrace because it's Amazon, they could have done something good but instead hired amateurs and spent money on shifting constantly what the game would be. Well, the wheel stopped on the "bad MMO" case and there's not a single chance this will turn good.

Lower your expectations

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any comments on this new combat fluff video? Honestly this looks like good drinking fun to me
There is nothing much to say, It's a video of players using special attacks, which all have cooldowns.

• 1Like