New World

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yep, his 3090 is bricked, lol, nice game Bezos.

Edit: So supposedly 3 other streamers all bricked their 3090 EVGA, specifically, while trying to play this game today.

Last edited:
  • 2WTF
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Xerge

<Donor>
Shit story bro. Still having fun.

in other positve news:

190k peak concurrent steam users compared to last preview of 50k. Say what you want but the game offers something.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Yo this is a pre-order closed beta one month from release on the first day, I hope they are literally starting small and seeing how shit goes so they can figure it all out at release in a month and change. I would imagine they have the resources and capability (presumably). But yeah queues are so blizz and tired.

You fucking people lol
It's a closed beta, so you know how many invites effectively have gone out. you know how many downloads for the game have been made so you can anticipate the first day crowd. You should know how your game is architected, what kind of load it can bear, etc. So you open it up and have people waiting 4+ hours to log in to play, having to stand up emergency servers to handle the load rather than scaling up your existing server infrastructure.

The point is that you shouldn't have to be figuring it out at this point, you should be polishing and handling unexpected crap. Maybe this is that sort of thing, they thought they were ready and I have just seen this too many times to be forgiving. Refining your plans for launch, not scrambling when you have servers that can't fit any more people on them so you have to shut down logins completely. Remember when SWTOR couldn't accept new logins for a day? That is this kind of BS except that was a decade ago and AWS is one of kings of Cloud Infrastructure. A closed beta for pre-orders is effectively a soft trial launch. It's a major red flag that their "server" solutions, which haven't been single servers since forever, aren't seemingly scalable enough at this point make them work so they could lift the cap on users. Surely they just aren't in the right environments yet or something but it still bothers me.

Edit: About the game. The pacing sucks. The way they are handing out flint tools that you can effortlessly craft at the first campfire as quest rewards in that First Light settlement seems weird. Doesn't everyone craft everything there? Do they expect you to do that area with just sword and board and the skinning knife and move on in 15 min? The chat sucks so bad. It makes me long for Barrens chat in the worst way. These idiots on three different servers were actively, aggressively stupid and mean. Forget VOIP, I wanted to turn off all chat. Finally crafted myself a hammer and got rewarded an iron Life staff, which I think is my favorite combo so far. Sword and Board was surprisingly good for being foisted on you as the default, which argues for giving the player a choice. That would complicate the tutorial but give a much greater sense of ownership.

I love parts of the game, I think they are not nearly as far long as I thought they were in others. There weren't be any rework in the introductory section which I think it needs, or add recipes for the rest of the starter weapons, or something. Mixed first day, to be sure but so much potential there.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah but they still dont have any control over who goes to what server. They can set up 100 servers but if people flock to only 2-3 because some streamer is there or whatever, or its the chosen server for French, for example, well youre fucked, lol. another problem, like was happening in WOW Classic servers was that people do not want to go to dead servers, they want to play on the most populated. WOW had plenty of servers and then they added more with free transfers for the most populated servers. And yet people flocked to only a few of the popular ones that always had queues and said fuck you to the transfers.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yep, his 3090 is bricked, lol, nice game Bezos.

Edit: So supposedly 3 other streamers all bricked their 3090 EVGA, specifically, while trying to play this game today.
Yeah this shit happened to me almost. Started the game and my 3090 went fucking nuts with power. Thought the fans were going to make my computer fly. Jumped up to hard reset. Went to setting on the game to see what the fuck happened and then nothing. It's like I saved settings and it fixed it.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Yeah but they still dont have any control over who goes to what server. They can set up 100 servers but if people flock to only 2-3 because some streamer is there or whatever, or its the chosen server for French, for example, well youre fucked, lol. another problem, like was happening in WOW Classic servers was that people do not want to go to dead servers, they want to play on the most populated. WOW had plenty of servers and then they added more with free transfers for the most populated servers. And yet people flocked to only a few of the popular ones that always had queues and said fuck you to the transfers.
Every server sucked; some were locked completely until they opened some new ones later on but the point is they knew the wave coming and did nothing. I had to make 3 new characters to play at all. Did the servers perform worse than expected? Did more people show up? Did they deliberately undersize them to see what worst case scenario launch day looked like? It was a bad first look for a bunch of pay to beta folks, though, unless "HEY LOOK at the crowds, was the idea for this."

WoW (and WoW Classic) is a game more less architected in 2004 (and I think redesigned at some point in the early 201xs, maybe? I don't know; some MMO I remember reading maybe moved the "server" to a blade or two due to increased processing power, perhaps?). You shouldn't need to stand up more "servers" in 2021, the concept of a physical box with processors and memory hosting these games has been mostly dead for a decade if not longer. You have clustered HW assigning cores/memory and "slices" to VMs running these "servers". They may not have sized these programmatically correctly for the load they expected today, or they may not have stood up enough but the idea that you design around x number of players per server is also passe at this point because that leads to the need to consolidate servers, etc.

The idea is that you make servers effectively instance as needed and then grow or shrink on demand so that you don't have to stand up new or shut down old servers as the game populate expands or contracts, basically signaling weakness or strength to your competitors and your player base. With fewer servers, it mitigates the "dead server" effect because players only join the name and the instancing/player load is handled on the back end, where they can't see the machinations of how many people are on the server, all they know is the zone/area seems full.

Last edited:

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Game runs and feels way better than last year. I'm still not sure about its combat gameplay since I'm still low level.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There is a shit load I could complain about. Graphic artifacts, crashing when fishing, a billion f'n camp fires causing my rig to turn into a rocket ship, quests that give me shit I already have, quests that dont even give you a f'n hint of where shit is, quests that give you a vague "do enough of this to get to this point", graphic presets even at the highest have low resolution textures in place of them disguised by a shit ton of foliage, etc. etc.

But even after all the shit Ive encountered tonight, I still plan to log in and play tomorrow cause.. I'm still having fun. On a pvp quest I went out into the woods towards my objective. Saw someone flagged and ran up to his ass and slammed him to the ground, rend striked him then slammed him again with the other slam ability, then went with a heavy strike for the kill. He plinked me at close range with a bow like a dumb ass, but that was it. Too bad not long after that, I popped over the hill a quarter of a km away from where I was going only to be swarmed by probably 20 other pvp toons that pushed my shit in. Roving bands of PVP'ers are real and I can already tell that shits going to be glorious. I do hope they bring some form of stagger back, however.

Theres a lot of shit that they need to smooth out and some of it they just need to have it make more sense. I definitely think the game will be fun for a month or two, depending on how deep I go into PVP. But the game isnt going to hit its A tier until probably 3-4 months after release and only get smoother from there.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
It's a closed beta, so you know how many invites effectively have gone out. you know how many downloads for the game have been made so you can anticipate the first day crowd. You should know how your game is architected, what kind of load it can bear, etc. So you open it up and have people waiting 4+ hours to log in to play, having to stand up emergency servers to handle the load rather than scaling up your existing server infrastructure.

The point is that you shouldn't have to be figuring it out at this point, you should be polishing and handling unexpected crap. Maybe this is that sort of thing, they thought they were ready and I have just seen this too many times to be forgiving. Refining your plans for launch, not scrambling when you have servers that can't fit any more people on them so you have to shut down logins completely. Remember when SWTOR couldn't accept new logins for a day? That is this kind of BS except that was a decade ago and AWS is one of kings of Cloud Infrastructure. A closed beta for pre-orders is effectively a soft trial launch. It's a major red flag that their "server" solutions, which haven't been single servers since forever, aren't seemingly scalable enough at this point make them work so they could lift the cap on users. Surely they just aren't in the right environments yet or something but it still bothers me.

Edit: About the game. The pacing sucks. The way they are handing out flint tools that you can effortlessly craft at the first campfire as quest rewards in that First Light settlement seems weird. Doesn't everyone craft everything there? Do they expect you to do that area with just sword and board and the skinning knife and move on in 15 min? The chat sucks so bad. It makes me long for Barrens chat in the worst way. These idiots on three different servers were actively, aggressively stupid and mean. Forget VOIP, I wanted to turn off all chat. Finally crafted myself a hammer and got rewarded an iron Life staff, which I think is my favorite combo so far. Sword and Board was surprisingly good for being foisted on you as the default, which argues for giving the player a choice. That would complicate the tutorial but give a much greater sense of ownership.

I love parts of the game, I think they are not nearly as far long as I thought they were in others. There weren't be any rework in the introductory section which I think it needs, or add recipes for the rest of the starter weapons, or something. Mixed first day, to be sure but so much potential there.
anyone could buy the game yesterday and boom they are immediately playing. it was a top seller on steam if that means anything? i would hope and imagine that Amazon can figure out the server scaling from a hardware/software perspective before release. Based on the word here and elsewhere it seems that way more people probably bought the game last minute to me and not days or weeks/months ago. me and my crew bought yesterday evening downloaded, waited in queue 25mins then played for 5 hours straight until our server crashed after midnight EST which at the time looked to be the only server down, not sure why. I'm on a 7 year old computer runnning medium/some high settings, they have a mix of oldish & brand new computers with no issues. yeah performance issues stink but i didn't have many other than minor graphical issues but I was mostly blaming my rig, some of the fire spells/1000campfires in one area slowed it down a ton. Can't really remember many games at launch without some issues, and some super AAA non-mmo games persisted forever which is inexcusable, we'll see if they can optimize and they need to figure that out for sure especially for PvP and style of combat.

the first noob camp is to introduce you to all the gathering stuff so you can skill up as you come across those nodes or whatnot which are EVERYWHERE, maybe im confused? why should you be able to get every weapon in the first 15 minutes of the game? you just do the intro quests kill the shit then yeah move on to the next thing. you can reach the first town and craft multiple tiers in the first like hour or two. i'll give you that it's not totally on rails and it prob needs to nudge you the "right" direction earlier, but your ship just crashed and you landed in a "new world". some people like their hand held more or are used to it these days i guess...?

they were kids in barrens and they are kids here. Sounds like some nitpicking like the other turds in global. most of the people just want to be heard in chat and the vocal ones usually have negative shit to say (just like social media).

in general sound like you just had a different experience than I did which happens. I had ZERO expectations which might be part of it. I'm not committing to playing the game for X months, but we definitely had a lot of fun in the world and trying different weapons and plan to continue. We want to see what the higher end game is like and actual PvP. Game feels much different than your WoW/FF14/whatever else same design traditional MMO, and for now I like the feel of the action adventure game + fun mmo aspects that flesh it out a bit.

EDIT: after I typed that I downloaded the update and now I can’t log into the game without computer crashing 🙃
EDIT: updating from ancient drivers seem to fix it

Last edited:

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hope New World has legs, like it so far. We'll see. Sure could use a new mmo. The old ones are getting a bit stale.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
I crashed when I tried to fish in town yesterday and now anytime I try to start the game up it gets to the 1st splash loading screen then just closes lmao.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There is a shit load I could complain about. Graphic artifacts, crashing when fishing, a billion f'n camp fires causing my rig to turn into a rocket ship, quests that give me shit I already have, quests that dont even give you a f'n hint of where shit is, quests that give you a vague "do enough of this to get to this point", graphic presets even at the highest have low resolution textures in place of them disguised by a shit ton of foliage, etc. etc.

But even after all the shit Ive encountered tonight, I still plan to log in and play tomorrow cause.. I'm still having fun. On a pvp quest I went out into the woods towards my objective. Saw someone flagged and ran up to his ass and slammed him to the ground, rend striked him then slammed him again with the other slam ability, then went with a heavy strike for the kill. He plinked me at close range with a bow like a dumb ass, but that was it. Too bad not long after that, I popped over the hill a quarter of a km away from where I was going only to be swarmed by probably 20 other pvp toons that pushed my shit in. Roving bands of PVP'ers are real and I can already tell that shits going to be glorious. I do hope they bring some form of stagger back, however.

Theres a lot of shit that they need to smooth out and some of it they just need to have it make more sense. I definitely think the game will be fun for a month or two, depending on how deep I go into PVP. But the game isnt going to hit its A tier until probably 3-4 months after release and only get smoother from there.
That PVP encounter sounds like shit. So basically you're saying you rolled up on some dude and stunlocked him until he was all but dead?

That sounds like a blast for the other guy. This is why PVP is generally terrible.

• 8Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 9 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Stop being a pussy.

PvP is PvP . Sometimes you eat shit and sometimes you get to corpsefuck. You deal with it.

They need to fix this server bullshit. But if any game studio could, it's this one. Remember this game effectively has an unlimited budget. They are backed by a trillion dollar company. They have the capital to address anything.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Not to sound like i'm a big defender here but I mean your taking a one-off experience that probably happened within the first 2 hours of both characters playing the game and projecting that to the entire game. kind of silly. it would be like if noob hordes mixed into noob goldshire area and pvp'd at release. no one knows shit about fuck.

It is PvP though.

games worth trying IMO just because it's something different at minimum.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So what is the deal if you order on Amazon? I have a shit ton of Amazon bucks to get rid of. Sounds like you have to wait 48 hours before receiving a beta code? And why is that - it's their game....

Edit: Checked. Yeah that's retarded. About as retarded as getting perm banned for milking a cow and not limiting your frames in the opening menu to brick 3090 FTW EVGA cards.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This game bricking an entire GPU line already makes it legendary.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Off to a rough start. This was the default character in character creator.
1626878773482.png

1626878757954.png

• 14Worf
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 15 users