New World

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Didn't bother to loadup open beta, I know its gonna be the same as closed alpha.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Wynt

Trakanon Raider
The New-Elder Scrolls World Online

It's like a Netflix Original Movie but in MMO form.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well done for the evening, made it to 11, and doing the factions quest.

We joining a particular faction?

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
You pick one...

Well it will have to wait for tomorrow or I'll join whichever people chose.

Btw are you Brahma in game? I tried sending message to a Brahma but he never replied, probably wasn't paying attention to chat.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yes...Br
Well it will have to wait for tomorrow or I'll join whichever people chose.

Btw are you Brahma in game? I tried sending message to a Brahma but he never replied, probably wasn't paying attention to chat.

Ya. Brahma in game. Fuckit I chose Marauders. Who gives a shit. It's beta.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I just got home from work and just starting to play.
WTF is up with these ping times?
1598408009958.png

1598407913977.png

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
The crafting is the best part (currently) of the game as well as the harder PVE Invasions (which aren't running yet. Time based IIRC but then they'll be constant.) If you're watching streamers you're not going to see crafting because it's VERY rewarding at higher levels making the EXACT gear you want, but no one is going to stream an audience 2-3 hours of gathering resources and mass crafting skillups etc. Check back in a few days when the omega guilds have dedicated crafters doing big shit in T5 crafting places and people will see there is some depth there.

Everything else is good foundation but very shallow. Either exploiting to 45 immediately or grinding PVE spawns in a mass. PVP has no reward. Not a lot of diversity of mobs or anything. 10-11 days of this is a lot of time, but to say there's never anything to do would definitely be wrong.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Consolidated my issues with the game from a few different places:

Misc:
If Witcher 3 is the far left of the spectrum for fall damage, New World is the far right. Freefalling for 10s off a cliff to lose 20% of your HP feels weird when a same-level creature does that in a single swing.

Music is OK when you get it, large stretches of the game seemingly have no tracks assigned to them aside from environmental noises and---
Holy fuck the sound disparity between most of the rest of the game and magic spell abilities. I can hear some guy casting spells from the other side of a forest, which would be interesting if this game had forced PvP or if Louder SFX indicated it was a flagged hostile (similar to games like Overwatch where enemy sounds are louder than allies).

Somehow I can max out Witcher 3 and ESO as well as pretty much every other AAA game to come out in recent memory but NW makes my GPU fans rattle and CPU hit 80-100% usage.

PvP Flagged characters should have collision, Unflagged characters should NOT. I bodyblocked 3 people in a building and until I decided to move their only option was to Hearthstone or AFK (I don't know if Speed of Light would have worked).

Gear somehow feels "tacked on"... in an RPG. The difference between the weapon I found at level 1 vs the weapon I found at level 18 was about a 10% difference. Having a magic effect being something that increases durability when repairing gear is effectively free whenever you want is a weird design decision. I haven't touched tradeskilling yet so the answer for this problem might be in there.

Ingame explanations for game systems. Why do I care about my standing with a zone? The area I am in is under conflict... Why do I care? The area has had war declared on it, ok so how do I participate? This fort has my faction symbol on it maybe if I go here there will be some larger PvP quest for me. No? Just an empty fort? Ok well that was a waste of 10 minutes I guess I'll LITERALLY NEVER GO THERE AGAIN EVER.

Enemy telegraphs for attacks. So this game is somewhere between Dark Souls and ESO in terms of how it wants you to approach combat. Getting hit is WRONG and you will be punished for it especially if the enemy is a few levels above you. Most of the time enemy's have decent telegraphs (attack animations) so you can react and either dodge or block the attack. Some animations (specifically mob basic attacks) often have 0 windup and deal essentailly the same damage as a long heavy attack, and usually are combos which can lead to a quick 1-2 death if you aren't grinding at full hp.

3 Ability timers shared between 3 weapons which all have probably 8 active abilities in each makes for really boring M1 spam. A SNES controller almost has enough buttons to individually map this game.

PVP Issues:

The stagger-lock of being M1 spammed by Melee feels real bad both on the giving end and the receiving end.

All of the different weapon skill systems feel like they were developed in a vacuum and weren't aware the other skills existed.

Speed of Light and it's upgrades probably needs to be reworked/scrapped. It would be fine for a PvE-centric game but it just turns open PvP fights into long games of tag where if you don't have it against someone that does you just can never catch them. There's a reason everyone is running around with Life Staff + Insert 1 weapon and its not just for the heal.

I haven't had the opportunity to test out all the snare-based skill talents but at a glance they all seem to have the same issue: If you stop to use the ability/attack that reduces a players movement speed, they have already used that time to offset whatever snare you would have applied.

PvP Missions:

"Delivery Quest" XP Reward definitely seems out of balance for the time investment (depending on delivery location RNG). Sometimes its a 900m trip down a straight road for 12k exp, sometimes its 5km and the straight path is blocked by sea/mountains/killplanes. Dropping PvP tasks probably needs to have a longer penalty cooldown because at a certain point you are better off just accepting and abandoning them all to hope for better RNG on a refresh.

The “Patrol” missions seem kind of poorly thought out, I get what you were going for by having players go to 2-3 highly trafficked area and wait there, but most of the time I just end up in some spot with creatures 5-6+ levels above me waiting in the tall grass for a countdown to finish. Having the player go to 3 different areas which can be very spread out is often extremely time-inefficient from a leveling perspective. I don’t know how to prevent people from exploiting it with friends, but Patrol should probably involve actually killing another player in -A- area in order to complete.

Loot 5 chests in X area over and over and over the middle ground. The xp isn’t very good but the mission is quick, just braindead and extremely repetitive. Maybe if you are lucky someone from the opposing faction will show up. Bonus: When the mission says “Enemy level: None” but again takes place in an area that is 7+ levels above you.
All of this is still better than running back and forth across the map for “Main Story” missions that are all “Kill X enemies and Loot Y Chests in Z Area”, sometimes the same area back the back…

Overall Opinion:
The bones of this game are there, but the core mechanics for PvE reminds me of FFXIV when it first launched with its Leves system. PvP seems like an extremely awkward game of Tag where the winner is whoever lands the first melee hit and/or predicts the first dodge roll movement.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Cybsled

I was watching Strippin play this. He played the earlier version and he thinks the game getting paired down to 3 skills and no lock on is them potentially looking at a mobile port of the game.

• 1Worf

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Imo get rid of the shared CD on weapons, and it could be way better, would give you 9 total abilities.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
EZ Level exploit if you want to see what the game is like at higher levels. Requires aligning to a faction (level 11+)

Go to the Northeast section of the world (Morningdale, Restless Shore, Weavers Fen). This area is primarily a bunch of higher level NPCs just as a warning, so dodge them.

Go to the faction NPC and accept every Delivery Mission to the neighboring zones (listed above). Afk for 5 minutes until missions refresh. Repeat until maxed out on quests. Walk over and turnin and gain like 10 levels per city. Bonus Points: Set your inn/home to one/two of the cities so you can deathwarp there to travel faster.

What it looks like
mourningdale.png

You'll have to grind up weapon skills but that's easier with a ton of stats.

• 1Like
  • 1Ding!
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
EZ Level exploit if you want to see what the game is like at higher levels. Requires aligning to a faction (level 11+)

Go to the Northeast section of the world (Morningdale, Restless Shore, Weavers Fen). This area is primarily a bunch of higher level NPCs just as a warning, so dodge them.

Go to the faction NPC and accept every Delivery Mission to the neighboring zones (listed above). Afk for 5 minutes until missions refresh. Repeat until maxed out on quests. Walk over and turnin and gain like 10 levels per city. Bonus Points: Set your inn/home to one/two of the cities so you can deathwarp there to travel faster.

What it looks like
View attachment 296717

You'll have to grind up weapon skills but that's easier with a ton of stats.

In before level locked quests.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played for a few hours on Knot (Cruel Vista?). The doesn't like older cpu's, I guess. Performance is pretty much the same regardless of settings from Low to High..probably no higher than 30fps anywhere. My cpu is about 8yrs old now, but it still runs much better looking games much better than NW (i5-3570k).

The control scheme of the game is pretty bad, for me at least. Seems it is 100% based around WASD, and even though it allows you to change all the controls, it feels clunky if you do. Some things that break gameplay for me are: Swapping weapons, when not using WASD is clunky... I need to hold a button then use mouse wheel to switch; Not having double tap to dodge; Not having a sprint toggle.

Combat isn't horrible, but the skill system seems poorly thought out. I don't see a reason to have 3 weapon slots, combat would be infinitely better if they had just simply copied the system from Guild Wars 2 for weapon swaps/skills. Oh well.

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
This is definitely the in vogue type of MMO being developed at the moment, feeling like it has very similar concepts to Crowfall and Ashes (among others). From a few hours playing last night It feels like there's potential but it leans way too heavily on the "bring me bear asses" trope instead of embracing sandbox gameplay. Pvp has potential but with there being barely any reward for killing, or punishment for dying, it seems like people are better off just flagging up for the xp bonus and then PvEing alongside each other in order to just progress towards whatever end game there is.

Feels like this is a game that should go full loot or at least be as the crafting system seems well geared towards a proper sandbox economy - but as it is I can't see how anything but the top-of-the-curve crafting materials are going to have much value, with the market flooded with common items that nobody needs. I'd love to see a game again where craftsmen are crafting basic equipment en masse not just to immediately salvage as part of grinding xp, but to supply the efforts of armies that are constantly needing new gear due to losses.

I like that there's no mounts, I feel like they're a feature that are too often included just because players expect, but if we're being honest what game's pvp has been improved by having mounts? Yeah pvp in this game is too slippery at the moment but the fix isn't mounts, just better control and removing obviously broken stuff like everyone running around with a life staff.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Swapping weapons, when not using WASD is clunky... I need to hold a button then use mouse wheel to switch; Not having double tap to dodge; Not having a sprint toggle.

I made a macro in iCue that I attached to the mouse wheel up that adds the "Alt" to the mouse spin up.

Like others have said, the basics are there. They just need to think things thru on a lot of mechanics.

Weapon swapping sucks.
Weapon cool downs suck.
Weapon swapping cool downs suck.
Weapon upgrades suck.
Need more than 3 skills per weapon.
Need more weapons!
Gear upgrades suck.
Mobs hard/regular hits are the same.
Action combat is OK. Just zero reason at the early levels not to keep swinging mindlessly.
I'm the most fit person on the planet with all this running.
Mob spawns suck ass.
One million campfires outside the city gates suck.

I could go on and on. BUT nothing is broken. All my gripes are easily fixed with a patch or two.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Having had a mixed bag using Fire and Life staves the first time around I decided to go melee this time and have been leveling up Warhammer. I do a LOT more damage with a warhammer than I do with balls of fire, but the warhammer abilities are complete garbage. I could see where they might be handy to clear PCs away from you or knock them back in a grand melee situation, but when fighting wolves and such they do significantly less damage than just swinging the hammer plus have a tendency to miss more often than not owing to the animation.

Because there are people doing the faction / guild stuff this time there are actual town quests to upgrade shit that you can pick up from the town board. Some of these are super basic like 'fetch 250 water' and most are things you can choose to do when already in quest-ish areas doing normal quests so its just an overall bonus.

In the process of gathering 500 hides I levelled up skinning significantly to the point where I could now track prey and that made hunting turkeys for archery feathers MUCH easier. These are cool little goals to achieve, but they are the sorts of immediate quality of life improvements that only happen right at the start of the game. While getting a source of feathers for making arrows is super important to me right now I suspect it will never be this important ever again except in some tradeskill nightmare where I end up having to craft 1000 super arrows that take 10 feathers each before I can go on an adventure with my friends.

There is a lot to like about the game and it is a very richly detailed world...but the character development and progression of horrible abilities is just not what it needs to be.

• 1Like