New World

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
If you think about it this does not bode well for the mmorpg industry as a whole. As a money pit and thousands of man hours making this shit for 5 yrs now, this is not something thats standing out as some mmorpg to beat all mmorpgs. From watching streams of this shit its not revolutionary, its just mediocre.
That pretty much sums it up.

The thing that keeps going through my mind is that if you are after a crafting heavy RPG to play, Valheim is cheaper, hella fun, and was made by a handful of developers. You would think that a multi-billion dollar corporation could make something more ground breaking than a small indie studio of like 4 developers (or something like that).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I am sure its just copium(?) going around..
Why are you so defensive? Did you put all your hopes in dreams into New World? It's clearly copium to have faith in any new MMO to be honest. But one that is severely lacking content and has a small map? Yeah, that's copium my dude, I'm sorry :(

That doesn't mean it can't also be a great buy in terms of entertainment value. Like another poster mentioned, if you spend $50 and get 50-100 hours, that's way above any other video game. So have your 100 hours of fun, awesome. But I judge an MMORPG's potential based on MMORPG criteria, aka long term, monthly, day to day play.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
If you think about it this does not bode well for the mmorpg industry as a whole. As a money pit and thousands of man hours making this shit for 5 yrs now, this is not something thats standing out as some mmorpg to beat all mmorpgs. From watching streams of this shit its not revolutionary, its just mediocre.

This has zero reflection on the MMORPG industry and you can't use New World as an example of the state of a competent game studio/publisher that has a clear vision for a game.

New World has been in development for 7 years. There are near ZERO members of the original team working on the current version of the game, and they have pivoted multiple times on core game fundamentals. This game has been in design and development hell and its a testament to Amazons commitment to not kill it years ago.

Anyone who was targeting New World as a Top Tier killer of MMORPG's has not been paying attention. THe previous alpha and betas were a cluster, and this game went BACK into Alpha to try and salvage things.

• 2Like

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Wow this game should've literally mirrored Ultima Onlines skill system. I cannot believe they didn't. Major oversight and beyond stupid that every character can do everything....

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This has zero reflection on the MMORPG industry and you can't use New World as an example of the state of a competent game studio/publisher that has a clear vision for a game.

New World has been in development for 7 years. There are near ZERO members of the original team working on the current version of the game, and they have pivoted multiple times on core game fundamentals. This game has been in design and development hell and its a testament to Amazons commitment to not kill it years ago.

Anyone who was targeting New World as a Top Tier killer of MMORPG's has not been paying attention. THe previous alpha and betas were a cluster, and this game went BACK into Alpha to try and salvage things.
LOL the optics aren't great bro, for investors. Were talking about a company with limitless funds, limitless time and limitless hiring potential for top producers. And they produced this uninspired turd. What makes you think in the future investors will be lining up to try and fund one of these. Or even a large gamne company trying to make one themselves? Fuck yeah this will have impact and reflection on future mmorpgs.

• 1Like

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
So what is going to stop most servers from just becoming some 90:5:5 faction ratio and 1 side dominating the whole map? The server I picked randomly (Miksi) seems to be like 50:35:15 Purple/Green/Yellow and with the PvP being mostly a "more numbers wins" contest I'm wondering how is the game going to sustain the main pvp treadmill? Admittedly all I've really done is field pvp and some defense of a keep so maybe there is some number restricted organized contest for main objectives?

The crafting and harvesting is fun, I love the sound design. But the PvM content is still pretty dull (and I'm pretty sure AGS knows this which is why XP is slow as fuck to slow people down) so ultimately the PvP has to carry this game forward. IMOTBHBBQ

Xevy

Log Wizard
Honestly if they pull the Blizzard Classic*TM and just start lifting the best features from other MMOs and slapping that shit into this game I think it'd be more than enough. Throw some timed dungeons with leaderboards in. Add Raids. Add contested OW bosses (think they kinda have this). Add a PVP only zone with actual rewards tied to it. Work more on the Outpost Rush shit to make it more enticing, maybe lower the max level requirement. Have random timed Fort fights OW. Make the underdog faction get some bonuses that will help steer people towards them like big time experience boosts and maybe some PVP boosts (can't do crafting/gathering or you just have the botters all pick underdog and inflate the numbers).

They're definitely working on a bunch of shit but I think they're holding the cards close to their chest. They want to buy time and see how much they can get away with before they have to start giving up the goods. That's why the servers are like this. They wanted to see how many servers they could use at a minimum without instancing. They now literally have the dataset for how bad it is with 200k concurrent across their whatever number of servers. These games are tricky because if you have too many servers some faction just owns the world and there's no contest and half the content is gone. You've gotta keep them near full and active, but you don't want queues. If this wasn't a tri-faction PVP game they'd have just dumped 3x the total amount of servers and let them at it.

What they COULD DO is allow instancing with non PVP flagged people. Let them quest/dungeon/gather etc in peace and then the PVPers which are probably something like 10-20% of the population right now could be in their own instance. Then you'd know everyone was down. People wouldn't be PVP flagged solo trying to quest then BOOM 9 people are bowing you. You'd go out in groups or raids and know exactly what was coming. They already have some sort of check for flagging as you cannot group with PVP flagged players if you yourself are unflagged.

There's a bunch of shit they can add to increase enjoyment, QoL, and longevity of this game but I'm pretty certain most of the most passionate and vocal people aren't hitting their fucking survey button and are just spinning their fucking wheels.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
From what I have seen I think they have enough for leveling shit. I have not seen the end game and PVP shit yet to make any judgments on the end game, but we all know that mmorpgs live and die on the end game. eventually be it a few weeks, or amonth or two when everyopne is done with leveling, they will need compelling content and advancement to stick around. Only saving grace here is no monthly sub, which will help. People can drop out, come back a few months later and catch up and see if there is anything new around to do.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

If this is how it was, me and my 3090s will stay away in general

Where the fuck is Lost Ark

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not going to begrudge anyone that enjoys this type of pvp game, but I can't understand a single point of enjoyment that people find going zerg on zerg.

Every pvp game that has any similar structure has the classes so watered down that all classes basically are mirrors of each other and it's just an AoE fest.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
played for a few hours, legit just feels like guild wars 2.5 with better graphics
is there actual dungeons and shit? lmao

Exact thing I thought earlier. Watched someone stream for about 30 minutes and I said in their chat it looked like Guild Wars 3 with more brown, lol. Hard pass atm.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Exact thing I thought earlier. Watched someone stream for about 30 minutes and I said in their chat it looked like Guild Wars 3 with more brown, lol. Hard pass atm.
GW2 is great. This game is not brown at all except in the intro (beach where you start) or in a cave. Super lush environments. This game isn't for everyone but neither is the same shit we've been playing for 20 years in different iterations. It's not a traditional quest and use a a bunch of mods with 40 friends to kill a different model with more hp and different abilities after you watch some people better than you on stream for a few weeks.

I think they will continue to improve and flesh the game out. Only time will tell. I see mostly people in here talking that haven't played beta. Other than Warrik Warrik and maybe one or two others that offered legit criticism from alpha everyone else is just speaking without playing and only watching a few minutes/hours of a streamer in a closed beta doing who knows what. Their criticisms seem valid.

They apparently have incentives for the lower pop factions to help balance pop, but like with any PvP centric game, equal #s are what they all strive for but it's hard.

Easily worth the box price.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Honestly, over last 20 years MMOs have proved to be quite elusive in terms of the formula for success. For a while ppl just expected quality mmo after UO, AC, Everquest and WoW ppl just were expecting the next one....

And it never came. FF14 is a success I guess, and some other rang mmo put up numbers but nothing has been big time.

So it's not easy to pull this off, even with billions.

5 min queue at 8pm on suddene

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think the formula for sucess has been there all along but just eludes the developers. IMO the reson for fail in this industry is because they cater to the LCD. You saw this with wow and its demise over the years.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm not going to begrudge anyone that enjoys this type of pvp game, but I can't understand a single point of enjoyment that people find going zerg on zerg.

Every pvp game that has any similar structure has the classes so watered down that all classes basically are mirrors of each other and it's just an AoE fest.
Well, there's not a ton of AoE in this game soooo.... -shrug-

Enjoying the beta so far, not a ton of changes from things in the Alpha. They’ve been quick to respond to issues since yesterday and overall it’s been a clean experience.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm

The good to take away is that it seems like every person who has ever touched a MMO in the last two decades has given this a whirl in one of its million beta tests. There is still a sizeable market interested in the white whale that is the Next Good MMO, it's more a question of if anyone can manage to make it

Jozu

So apparently anyone can just run away in pvp encounters. People are saying running is OP lol.

Being able to disengage in order to fight another day is fantastic, but if you are dead to rights but can just scoot every time and live, it basically ruins everything. They have to fix that. Asherons Call solved that shit by having a Run skill. If you had a high run, you could outrun most players and then teleport away. But if you didnt spend any skill points on run and its low, you arent able to escape by simply turning and burning. Its a great system IMO. Some dudes had run maxed and would dust people.

AC also had the greatest spell/magic system ever. In order to be an effective mage you had to learn how to slide horizontally while winding up to cast war magic spell, which allowed you to break animation at the precise moment you shoot projectile, causing the enemy to get caught up by a bolt that they didnt see coming. It created an awesome dynamic where you had players that could "cast" and players who couldnt because they just werent good at it.

I could never get it down so I just played melee builds. I like melee better anyway in that game so it didnt bother me, but a really nasty caster could shit on a lvl 126 with a lvl 80. Some dudes were so slick with it, they could literally almost kill you off radar, meaning they could animation cancel and slide from so far away you couldnt even see them on your map until it was too late lol. Those players were legends, they were so effective I still fucking remember their player names after almost 20 years. (Spanish Fly, Blattos, and OG were the best)

The devs even ended up naming lvl 7 spells after some of those guys. Sprint 7 was called "Og Foot" etc.

Last edited:

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So apparently anyone can just run away in pvp encounters. People are saying running is OP lol.

Being able to disengage in order to fight another day is fantastic, but if you are dead to rights but can just scoot every time and live, it basically ruins everything. They have to fix that. Asherons Call solved that shit by having a Run skill. If you had a high run, you could outrun most players and then teleport away. But if you didnt spend any skill points on run and its low, you arent able to escape by simply turning and burning. Its a great system IMO. Some dudes had run maxed and would dust people.

AC also had the greatest spell/magic system ever. In order to be an effective mage you had to learn how to slide horizontally while winding up to cast war magic spell, which allowed you to break animation at the precise moment you shoot projectile, causing the enemy to get caught up by a bolt that they didnt see coming. It created an awesome dynamic where you had players that could "cast" and players who couldnt because they just werent good at it.

I could never get it down so I just played melee builds. I like melee better anyway in that game so it didnt bother me, but a really nasty caster could shit on a lvl 126 with a lvl 80. Some dudes were so slick with it, they could literally almost kill you off radar, meaning they could animation cancel and slide from so far away you couldnt even see them on your map until it was too late lol. Those players were legends, they were so effective I still fucking remember their player names after almost 20 years. (Spanish Fly, Blattos, and OG were the best)

The devs even ended up naming lvl 7 spells after some of those guys. Sprint 7 was called "Og Foot" etc.
Most trees have slows in their abilities to choose from. In the year I’ve been playing this, it’s never been an issue that I’ve seen.

I wish they’d put stagger back in, especially since mobs can still use it against us but it was taken out for us to use.