New World

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I tried to get into this but coming off the highs of FFXIV this game feels like shit to play to me. Ah well, still having a ton of un in FFXIV and AoC seems promising(?)
AoC will be great…in 2 years or so when it finally comes out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
This sorta thing always makes me chuckle. Just what do you think any for questing in a game that requires you to level 60 times? If there’s no kill quests, what should the player be doing to get those levels you think?
Yeah I feel like people are just trying to fluff up reasons to say "its not for me" or "i don't like it" - which is totally fine. It's not that people don't like it, its the comparisons and critiques seem a bit off or tired. Probably driven by having put years into other games that are exactly the same in structure & design - FFXIV is 10 years old and WoW is 17 years old, same game basically. This definitely isn't that so if you expected that style of game with 10+years of additional content then for sure this is not hitting the nail on the head. DaoC/Valheim/GW2 mashup sounds great to me. I didn't have any expectations so I'm pleasantly surprised by the "fun" of just playing without some greater purpose.

• 1Like

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
The harvesting is OK I guess - it's quick and looks and sounds good, but the crafting process is dull.
Yeah the gathering feels and sounds good. The mining makes a lot of racket and it would be interesting in an eve like pvp game where gathering high end resources in an enemies territory drew attention, etc. But again, pvp is totally optional.

The crafting is dumb. PHWOOSH! You just crafted 20 longswords in one second! It's nice you get the xp faster, but I'd prefer fewer, more deliberate crafts with increased xp to keep the pace the same.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah the gathering feels and sounds good. The mining makes a lot of racket and it would be interesting in an eve like pvp game where gathering high end resources in an enemies territory drew attention, etc. But again, pvp is totally optional.

The crafting is dumb. PHWOOSH! You just crafted 20 longswords in one second! It's nice you get the xp faster, but I'd prefer fewer, more deliberate crafts with increased xp to keep the pace the same.
Leveling crafting is certainly like this but when you want rate or high levels pieces or are trying for price it most certainly is not like this.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
This sorta thing always makes me chuckle. Just what do you think they should have for questing in a game that requires you to level 60 times? If there’s no kill quests, what should the player be doing to get those levels you think?
I really like GW2's Renown Hearts "quests": simple objectives for an area that take 10-20 minutes then move on. Or, if you prefer, hang around and explore the NPCs, story, and other hidden gems that may lie about.

Having a map littered with "!" NPCs with a shit ton of a fetch/kill quests is tired and old.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Leveling crafting is certainly like this but when you want rate or high levels pieces or are trying for price it most certainly is not like this.
Yeah, I meant the visceral feel. Chopping wood or mining feels good. Crafting is 100% user interface disconnected garbage.

• 1Like

Ragosh

Molten Core Raider
This sorta thing always makes me chuckle. Just what do you think they should have for questing in a game that requires you to level 60 times? If there’s no kill quests, what should the player be doing to get those levels you think?

I totally get the "it's always been like that, how could you possible change it" logic. And I'm no game designer. Still, I had hoped that after 22+ years in the MMORPG market there would be more innovation by a studio with a lot of money backing a game.

Open world survival games usually do it for me. Conan, Valheim et al. So one idea would be to integrate housing into the XP curve. Let me buy a piece of land for cheap somewhere outside a city. Let me build a hovel and plant potatoes or breed pigs. All the while everything I do gives XPs.

Or why would a milion people do the same kill quest in the same spot without it having some kind of imptact? "Oh, Moe's Farm is overrun with zombies. Someone do somthing!!!1". Once enough zombies are killed, the spot is saved and taken by the faction/city. With guards and NPCs and everything. Maybe at some point there is a disease or an attack and the place gets overtaken by enemies again. GW2 did something like this, although I wouldn't know how far they've gone since release.

My complaint is, that they have a lot of money and still only took the road most traveled instead of bringing new ideas or taking recent ideas to new levels.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I really like GW2's Renown Hearts "quests": simple objectives for an area that take 10-20 minutes then move on. Or, if you prefer, hang around and explore the NPCs, story, and other hidden gems that may lie about.

Having a map littered with "!" NPCs with a shit ton of a fetch/kill quests is tired and old.

I totally get the "it's always been like that, how could you possible change it" logic. And I'm no game designer. Still, I had hoped that after 22+ years in the MMORPG market there would be more innovation by a studio with a lot of money backing a game.

Open world survival games usually do it for me. Conan, Valheim et al. So one idea would be to integrate housing into the XP curve. Let me buy a piece of land for cheap somewhere outside a city. Let me build a hovel and plant potatoes or breed pigs. All the while everything I do gives XPs.

Or why would a milion people do the same kill quest in the same spot without it having some kind of imptact? "Oh, Moe's Farm is overrun with zombies. Someone do somthing!!!1". Once enough zombies are killed, the spot is saved and taken by the faction/city. With guards and NPCs and everything. Maybe at some point there is a disease or an attack and the place gets overtaken by enemies again. GW2 did something like this, although I wouldn't know how far they've gone since release.

My complaint is, that they have a lot of money and still only took the road most traveled instead of bringing new ideas or taking recent ideas to new levels.
GW2 renown heart area quests/events and the larger multiple step events in every zone that progress, along with the world bosses- are all awesome. I think some of that basic type of stuff started in RIFT or earlier, not sure how many games have expanded on them more than GW2

• 1Like

Xerge

<Donor>
If you're still hoping after 20 plus years it's no wonder ppl are disappoint.

Edit: I'd like to see faction based POIs that can be flipped, dynamic quest areas, maybe a level 15 dungeon, A more obvious main story, tighter combat, and quest sharing. oh and some kind of instanced pvp ppl can do while leveling.

A lot of ppl are bitching about content issues or things that can/and/or will be changed post launch. The game isn't sold as is and is not done. MMOs do get patches.

Third day before lunch on est coast and the game is sitting at 130k players.

Last edited:

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I don't think it is illogical to expect some innovation over 20 years.

Not all games need to innovate, but to expect that NO games will innovate is short sighted imo.

• 2Like

Xerge

<Donor>
Society cant even innovate a bic lighter. What does FF14, ESO, and WoW all have in common? I skip dialogue and interactions in all.of.them. ALL.THE.TIME. Can't talk innovate when there's nothing to innovate. All three games have the exact same fucking game play. Interact with npc>accept task>travel to task location>basic gameplay>return>finish. Insert some dialogue, contextual fluff, and fancy camera angles.

That's fucking it. There's no innovation until AI is used to create content on the fly that's a new experience each time.

Or pass the innovation pipe bc I want some.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I like it so far. Early on and only level 5. Very basic stuff up to this point but I like the leveling system, crafting etc. Fun game to fuck around in mostly and I like some the abilities so far. I like how the combat is more action oriented - Better blocking than ESO, dodging etc - just feels more fluid.

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I read them my first okay through so I know the story and lire. After them at usually not so much unless it’s a new faction or story.

Xerge

<Donor>
Seriously, does anyone give a shit about quest stories anymore? I literally spam "next next next" when NPCs start blabbing.
Realistically ppl don't know what they want. Add story content like FF14 or ESO where it's fully voiced and ppl complain or skip through it; when it's missing like in New World ppl bitch.

Whatever. It's kind of a hot topic for game developers atm.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Add story content like FF14 or ESO where it's fully voiced
The problem I see is that quests with reams of text or voiced dialogue don't fit in a multiplayer game. If you're playing with friends someone is forced to sit there and wait while whoever listens to/reads the shit.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The problem I see is that quests with reams of text or voiced dialogue don't fit in a multiplayer game. If you're playing with friends someone is forced to sit there and wait while whoever listens to/reads the shit.
Yeah, I'm not about to stop by friends every minute to read paragraphs of text about the plight of some retarded nobody in the city.

But game devs continue to add it.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
These exclamation point chasing games just end up devolving to boring single player games with other people running around in it. That, and you spend more timing running around than playing the game. Small group content should always be a big boost of xp/progress over single player story mode. Leave the quest shit in as an alternative for when Dad wants to log in for 30 minutes while the baby is asleep, but the most fruitful progression should allow a small group to leave town for long periods of time and go deep into the game world.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users