New World

Xerge

<Donor>
As repetitive as it sounds, I enjoy the faction boards in NW atm. My only issue is the lack of task and quest sharing - my buddy and I could only overlap 1 or 2 tasks from our faction board at a time. We also attempted to wait out the 5min timer to see if they would flip tasks to ones he had, this didn't work out well.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Does movement speed get any better? When do we get mounts?

Never iirc. Which is surprising considering its usually an easy $ maker for companies. Use that fast travel that takes the azoth?(that is easy as hell to get) a lot. That and getting all the little sanctuaries out in the wild to teleport to.

Though imo they should let you fast travel to town from the open world as long as you have currency, instead of having to be in one of those sanctuaries.

Granted I didn't mind it too much. I basically loaded up on quests, went out and did them a in a order then gathered on the way back to town.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Protip: When doing a gathering session / long distance run swap in a hatchet and use the Berserk ability with the runspeed increase slotted to it. Like 20s of 20% movespeed increase. Requires like 2-3 weapon skillpoints which takes no time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
I played for quite a while again last night, and I'll state again that I believe the game is worth the initial cost of entry. Just don't expect this to be a MMORPG. This is a PvP area control game slapped on top of a survival RPG.

Heavy harvesting and crafting to create gear and such with the ultimate goal being faction-based PvP for area control. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Is it good? Yes. For what it is, it is good. If it had a subscription fee or required micro transactions, it would not be good. Since it is a one time purchase, it's good for what it offers. Just don't expect this to evolve in to anything else. This isn't EQ 3.0, WoW 2.0, etc. This is DAoC/Valheim love child.

As such, it left me wanting a purpose for playing the game, and that's purely my issue.. not the developers. The thing is that the whole reason I bought EverQuest two decades ago is because I was looking for a game where my time spent playing it lead to bigger things that ultimately would transfer to the next iteration of the game to come out. This all stems from SSI's Pool of Radiance game back on the Commodore 64. When new games from SSI came out in that series, you took your characters from the last game and imported them in to the next game to continue developing them further. That's the overall design that made its way in to EverQuest, WoW, and others of the MMORPG genre.

When you play a game like New World, it doesn't have that MMORPG character development feel. It has progression, but it feels more like a Call of Duty progression where you are unlocking things, but ultimately your previous play throughs didn't matter overall.

Again, that's not a bad thing. It's just not what I would call a MMORPG. It's an online pvp game with unlockable progression.
The big issue, and I'm waiting to see how much if at all they've done regarding this, is that once you got to end game (last year) all the bit parts added up to a big nothing and the content wasn't just bad, it was nonexistent

Like you saw they had the intent that OP low level zerg vs 1 weapons like the hatchet would fall off in zerg vs zerg end game siege combat where things like the Warhammer and some ranged stuff would pick up...except that didnt really play out at all because the hatchet was still OP. And a year later hatchet still looks really good, it just doesnt have stagger anymore

I do think youre on to something that this isnt a typical MMO. It's not a survival game anymore but I do think the people that seem really into its core appeal are Rust/H1Z1/Tarkov types, but those games work because they constantly start anew. These people have a lot of fun in these fresh starts every time they release a new beta but once the game comes out and they hit max level...then what? Again, unless things have changed drastically at end game (and based on everything else, that seems unlikely) there just isnt going to be a reason to keep doing sieges and stuff after the third or fourth time youve done it

I think everyone who played original vanilla WoW can reminisce about some story of being in a 40 hour AV back before they nerfed AV into the ground because that was fun one or two times and then extremely tiring. But if your entire game was a never-ending AV who the hell would keep playing it?

• 1Like

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Looks like they added 8756568 servers lol.

Zero queues now. They launched closed beta with what 8 servers on US east? There is like 20 plus now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I fucked around with fishing for a hour or so and its pretty chill and relaxing.

The problem I have with the combat is the lack of skills on the hot bar. Why only 3? Is this game meant for mouthbreathers that cant do more than 3 skills on the bar? I would like them to add more here. Comabt feels good but the lack of skills is kinda bummer.

This game also needs fucking mounts. I cant believe they have not added any yet. Spend 70% of your time running to and from.

Thats the only 2 major gripes I have so far at like lv15.

Im probabaly gonna stop playing because I already figured out the basic sytems and how they work, now I will wait for release to really start the grind.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The problem I have with the combat is the lack of skills on the hot bar. Why only 3? Is this game meant for mouthbreathers that cant do more than 3 skills on the bar? I would like them to add more here. Comabt feels good but the lack of skills is kinda bummer.

I haven't played much yet, and haven't really gotten into weapon swapping, but maybe that's the point? Is it sort of meant to be "Easy to play well, high skill ceiling" kind of thing when you factor in weapon swapping? Like the guy who knows a weapon can do adequately but the guy who knows multiple and knows game inside and out will be clearly superior?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I mean, yeah, the weapon swap does add to it up to a point. But most people have a ranged and close up from what I gathered so its not the skill shit and moreso utility. The pvp I have watched some stremars do its mostly seens to be ranged peeps lobbing shots back and forth with a few melee sprinkled in here and there. I know its early on and more strategic and better metas will evolve, but so far im not seeing this skill shit youre talking about. I mean shit its 3 fucking skills per weapon bro.

I mean even as a tank in the instances youre kinda stuck with board and sword mostly skilled up board. I dont see too much weapon swapping happening when youre tanking. Maybe as a DPS?

• 1Solidarity

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I fucked around with fishing for a hour or so and its pretty chill and relaxing.

This game also needs fucking mounts. I cant believe they have not added any yet. Spend 70% of your time running to and from.

Thats the only 2 major gripes I have so far at like lv15.

Im probabaly gonna stop playing because I already figured out the basic sytems and how they work, now I will wait for release to really start the grind.
3 skills makes it seem like it will be ported to consoles.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I mean, yeah, the weapon swap does add to it up to a point. But most people have a ranged and close up from what I gathered so its not the skill shit and moreso utility. The pvp I have watched some stremars do its mostly seens to be ranged peeps lobbing shots back and forth with a few melee sprinkled in here and there. I know its early on and more strategic and better metas will evolve, but so far im not seeing this skill shit youre talking about. I mean shit its 3 fucking skills per weapon bro.

I mean even as a tank in the instances youre kinda stuck with board and sword mostly skilled up board. I dont see too much weapon swapping happening when youre tanking. Maybe as a DPS?

Okay, but MOBAs are 4 skills and there is a huge skill ceiling in those games. FPS are mostly... main weapon and a pistol? Which is why I asked the question.

The low number of skills doesn't necessarily make it braindead. From a development standpoint if you can accomplish that it's a pretty good marriage of "Easy for new players to jump in and understand, satisfying for veterans who can make the most use of the small details"

• 1Picard

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Okay, but MOBAs are 4 skills and there is a huge skill ceiling in those games. FPS are mostly... main weapon and a pistol? Which is why I asked the question.

The low number of skills doesn't necessarily make it braindead. From a development standpoint if you can accomplish that it's a pretty good marriage of "Easy for new players to jump in and understand, satisfying for veterans who can make the most use of the small details"
Well see I guess I get what you are saying. But I still wish it had more. Thats all, just my take on it.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
How does the combat feel?
Does it feel great to be in combat - or put a different way - fluid/connected/exciting enough that you look forward to the next engagement? Are abilities designed to reward skillful play/decision making, etc. Stuff like that.

If not, and the combat is just "ok" then it will probably remain so for the life of the game. I mean, you can add content, fix things and build on a game world for years to come. But if at its core the combat/animation/sound engine is "just ok" then I'll probably just not bother, no matter how good the rest of it is.

Take ESO for example. My apologies in advance, but in my opinion the combat and animation engine in that game is, was, and always will be complete and utter dogshit. Because of that the rest of the game holds no interest for me.

Maybe it's too early to tell with New World, it certainly looks pretty.
Which MMO's did you feel had the type of combat you like? That would make it easier to know if you might like New Worlds, although I suspect you won't.

Ladro

Anomaly
Way too much running in this game. Gets old real fucking fast, takes forever to get anywhere and there’s a ton of back and forth. Quests are copy paste, don’t really see the point in playing this if you don’t like the PVP idea.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Pro tip: Set up camps.

Camps allow you to craft stuff: arrows, food, shit tools. BUT the saving grace is you can 'bind' there. So that means you can cheat fast travel by basically suiciding (Game Menu--Respawn) back and forth between town and camps. You'll get a hit to durability, but that means nothing at the low levels. Very helpful for certain quests running back and forth if there aren't TP towers (which exist at quest hubs like Hermit). Also if you're sweatier you and some boys can do some biiiiig gathering dumps on a naked suicider as you can't fast travel while overweight, but you sure as hell can respawn in town.

• 2Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That PVP encounter sounds like shit. So basically you're saying you rolled up on some dude and stunlocked him until he was all but dead?

That sounds like a blast for the other guy. This is why PVP is generally terrible.
I've also had my ass handed to me in a one on one cause he was a f'n pro at dodge and getting around to my back side. Light armor versus Heavy armor in this case proved a great advantage to him. Also, the second slam does not stun on the sledgehammer. So there is not "stun lock" as you put it. Just sounds like you havent tried the game, or at least the weapon.
Im not playing the game but watching some streamers for a very short time, it seems like they are all going Marauders? The whole faction system seems like a huge problem at first glance. Looks like its primed to be super unbalanced.

I'll be surprised if this game has legs
We moved off Atlantis to some west coast server cause queues were shit on the East. The server we're on, Marauders have one zone and the Syndicate have one zone on lock. Ive seen huge numbers of Covenant roaming around, but no one has seemed to step up and purchase a zone yet in that faction. There is a third zone that is contested and has flipped twice now between Marauders and Syndicate. The fort looks to be constantly contested. Im sure some servers will be swamped with one faction or the other, but just for a random server that no one ever heard of - its shaping up to be pretty interesting.
Played it off an on throughout the alpha phases and it's entertaining enough for the first 20 hours and then becomes just a chore.
Im about 10 more hours than you - I can feel the chore part. When the levels start to slow down considerably and you have to start looking for things to grind like faction.. it just isnt as gripping anymore. But I still find it fun enough to log in.
So SOLIDFPS has been playing this thing for like 28 hrs straight and hes only like lv28. Now he says that he has not played the alpha so hes a biut behing the knowledge curve, but it seems liek leveling really slows down after like mid20s. Dont know if its because of lack of quests?
Hitting mid 20's is like a f'n wall. I think this is on purpose because they want more time on the later parts of the game.
LOL the optics aren't great bro, for investors. Were talking about a company with limitless funds, limitless time and limitless hiring potential for top producers. And they produced this uninspired turd. What makes you think in the future investors will be lining up to try and fund one of these. Or even a large gamne company trying to make one themselves? Fuck yeah this will have impact and reflection on future mmorpgs.
Blows my mind that one of the first games the company makes is an MMO. But we've also said what you are saying about this one for every other MMO for the past 5-10 years.

One thing I really enjoy is just this monster list of shit that they are aware of and have stated its in their pipe line to fix before launch. One or two patches per day etc. The game may only have a shelf life at launch for 2-4 weeks, but they make me feel pretty confident that more content is going to come out like a rolling storm.

• 2Like