New World

Xerge

<Donor>
First sale since launch and wouldn't be a bad time to jump in with all the leveling improvements they've made.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

The game is still heavily dependent on the overall server population and player engagement on that server. The game really wasn't designed with lower populations in mind, given how towns and their upkeep scales

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A simpleton could redesign the entire territory ownership. Thats why it annoys people so much when they actively think about how it "should" be.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Redo the whole city shit, make one mega server, add in some more PVP elements (instanced, preferably) and you got yourself a decent game. Make some "seasons" for PVP ranks and shit, let people get their gear in PVE, and I think SOME people would for sure return. Throw in some good MTX's and they might even make some fucking money.

Cybsled

I have had dev powers, I would:

1) Uncouple town upgrades/progression from PVP and make it PVE powered - Have players vote for upgrades, etc
2) Buff siege in wars - at the very least, make it so siege emplacements take at least 90% less damage from players. The fact one asshole with a bow can literally kill a T3 siege in 10 seconds is fucking stupid. They have this cool mechanic (siege) and it gets neutered because it hasnt kept up with player scaling
3) Add rewards to world PVP - make it cosmetic at least. Create dynamic "hot spots" that appear in the world that give you something nice if your side wins
4) Embrace the elite chest zerg runs - make different types of runs. For instance, have an elite chest zerg run that has no enemies, but it is full of traps and jumping puzzles like they have in the Starstone dungeon. Have a time rush mode where some unkillable shit that one shots you spawns behind the zerg like a Tonberry or Nemesis and you have to kill shit to open doors lest you get stuck and murdered by it. Mix up the zerg runs to create large scale, open world PVE content that people can have more fun with.
5) More instanced PvP modes

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
As I mentioned above, I decided to pick it up after playing for free this weekend. Nice QoL features and the game has some interesting concepts but I'm not sure what the staying power is going to be for me.

I joined a "medium" population server and I definitely notice that the world feels pretty empty outside of town. Apparently there are no "dungeons" of any kind until level 25? WTF? So you just run around solo doing kill and grab missions for 20 hours or whatever it takes to get to that level? No other grouping motivation?

I am tentatively doing a tank build because I thought that might be something that would get me intro groups- being a newcomer. Based upon chat, it looks like healers are most in demand.

Combat so far feels like there isn't a lot to it. R-F clicky clicky clicky. Also that fucking map. It's a mess.

Cybsled

Supposedly they are just going to get merged into existing servers, but ya - they overshot on the free server counts

Xerge

<Donor>
As I mentioned above, I decided to pick it up after playing for free this weekend. Nice QoL features and the game has some interesting concepts but I'm not sure what the staying power is going to be for me.

I joined a "medium" population server and I definitely notice that the world feels pretty empty outside of town. Apparently there are no "dungeons" of any kind until level 25? WTF? So you just run around solo doing kill and grab missions for 20 hours or whatever it takes to get to that level? No other grouping motivation?

I am tentatively doing a tank build because I thought that might be something that would get me intro groups- being a newcomer. Based upon chat, it looks like healers are most in demand.

Combat so far feels like there isn't a lot to it. R-F clicky clicky clicky. Also that fucking map. It's a mess.
I get what youre thinking with medium however servers dont hold a big number to begin with so the only playable server type is near full. And yeah you essentially solo till about level 22; support roles can do the dungeons 2-3 levels below the rec. if their gear is maintained. Realistically there should be a dungeon at 15 IMO.

Combat it's self is not inherently difficult to engage with, however there are obvious differences between a healer who can skill shot and those who cannot.

you don't faceroll thru a M10 at max level. At end game there is combat finesse and RPG systems in place that contribute to successful outcomes. For example, to get the 15 minute mutation 10 clear, as a tank, you'll be wearing proper ward gear.

The map is functional and serves it's purpose but you're really into playing you'll want to check out second-monitor map mods.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I joined Valhalla. Do we have a guild on some other server? I'm only like level 17 so I could reroll.

edit - btw I chose marauders just because I don't know wtf I am doing.

Last edited:

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The more I think about this game the more upset I get.

I was paid by Amazon over the year leading up to release to extensively test the game. The devs were great at listening, patched things properly without breaking everything else and their vision of r the game was great. They tried to change a lot in that last year and did well with it for the most part. Things went downhill when they limited weapons to 2 instead of 3, not because of how it limited me as a player....but just the sheer amount of inability to listen to community feedback on how to fix balance issues without doing that.

Then release hit, and it all went out the window. I and a number of others warned of the lack of test server as launch would for sure require quick patching of issues that sparse testing population wouldn't show. We warned of dupe bugs needing to be taken care of because it would ruin the economy and how any interruptions to the economy would quickly destroy the game.

It's almost like a totally different team took over a few months before launch, it was night and day. I played this game so much before launch, had every weapon maxed at one point or another...all was going well, until it didn't and those changes happened.

Just makes me upset, I loved this game so damn much and they ruined it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
The more I think about this game the more upset I get.

I was paid by Amazon over the year leading up to release to extensively test the game. The devs were great at listening, patched things properly without breaking everything else and their vision of r the game was great. They tried to change a lot in that last year and did well with it for the most part. Things went downhill when they limited weapons to 2 instead of 3, not because of how it limited me as a player....but just the sheer amount of inability to listen to community feedback on how to fix balance issues without doing that.

Then release hit, and it all went out the window. I and a number of others warned of the lack of test server as launch would for sure require quick patching of issues that sparse testing population wouldn't show. We warned of dupe bugs needing to be taken care of because it would ruin the economy and how any interruptions to the economy would quickly destroy the game.

It's almost like a totally different team took over a few months before launch, it was night and day. I played this game so much before launch, had every weapon maxed at one point or another...all was going well, until it didn't and those changes happened.

Just makes me upset, I loved this game so damn much and they ruined it.

The most surprising piece of that is that they ignored the warnings about duping. The game is so heavily dependent on tradeskills and the economy. They should have just wiped early on.

Has that shit worked itself out of the system for the most part? I have found that I have been able to sell newbie raw materials.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Bottom line is they released this shit too soon. This needed at least another 6 mos to 1 yr of more end game additions and balance passes. Especially to respect peoples time in game.

Malakriss

Wouldn't matter how much extra time they gave since the idiots who made the initial design decisions would be crippling it further.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Wouldn't matter how much extra time they gave it since the idiots who made the initial design decisions would be involved in that process.
Well that depends on what you thought of the game as a whole. I thought the game was pretty cool leveling up. Liked the loot, liked the crafting, gathering, combat etc.... Its just that it all fell off at end game. Honestly if it wasnt for the people I got to know and play with on my server I would have quit like a month sooner than I did at end game. There was like literally nothing to do other than gather and craft BS to get all skills up to 200.

Xerge

<Donor>
The most surprising piece of that is that they ignored the warnings about duping. The game is so heavily dependent on tradeskills and the economy. They should have just wiped early on.

Has that shit worked itself out of the system for the most part? I have found that I have been able to sell newbie raw materials.
It honestly has. But yea bottom line is it released too early like majority of current successful MMOs.

Both Final Fantasy 14 and Elderscrolls Online were hot messes upon release. FF14 was so much a joke they had to admit their fuck ups and rewrite the trash they released to the public. To add to that, the dumpster fire they did release was an actual interpretation of what FF14 developers realistically thought we, as players, wanted. As a big fan of the genre I couldn't believe what they released to the public; it was a fucking insult really. I don't even think ESO has a system place that is from the original; each system has been reworked pretty much since release.

I'm prob. the biggest fan of NW but even I say it's not ready yet. The end game gameplay is very narrow scoped atm with only a couple of avenues and very little replay value, it'll come though.

There's definite value in investing yourself to at least level 60. Would suck to have to do the grind when suddenly the game is deemed good but all your homies have max level characters banked. I highly doubt you'll be able to buy level/expertise(ilevel) skips in the future so a grind is still a grind anyway you slice it.

Cybsled

Part of the problem with FF14 1.0 is the devs who did FF11 thought using EQ1 era game design was fine and applied that to 14 with barely any updates. Plus their development was incredibly siloed to the point the different silos almost started conflicting - like the classic example YoshiP gives of a random jar having more polygons than player models.

YoshiP helped because he played MMOs and other online games avidly and had seen what worked and what didn’t, so he had a better pulse on the current consumer demands

I can almost guarantee you he has tried New World and Lost Ark to see what, if anything, they might bring that he could improve FF14 with.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
New World tempered my expectations and excitement for AoC. At this point I’m scared that AoC will let me down and at that point I dunno if I’ll even get excited for MMOs anymore. I feel like I’m teetering on the edge in this genre and it’s a little depressing but I can’t remember the last time I haven’t been burnt by it.

Daidraco

New World tempered my expectations and excitement for AoC. At this point I’m scared that AoC will let me down and at that point I dunno if I’ll even get excited for MMOs anymore. I feel like I’m teetering on the edge in this genre and it’s a little depressing but I can’t remember the last time I haven’t been burnt by it.
I think AoC is going to favor Sharif's preference for Aion / Archeage type of systems and its going to cause the game to lose a huge chunk of its audience after a month, maybe two. Failure? no. But not some raving success like the hype train suggests. I think Sharif will make his money back, though. The cash shop sounds like its going to be flush with all kinds of mounts and skins right at launch.

• 1Like