New Zealand

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
So, after 33 years of my life in the US of A, I'm debating making a large change, a move to New Zealand style change.

Background; Married with 2 kids (toddlers), 15+ years of IT experience (Pretty much jack of all trade, with the majority being hardware/software support, although I find myself an IT Dept Head currently. No formal education, winning personality ^_^), and my wife has almost 10 years experience working for an eye clinic (also with no college education). We have lived almost exclusively in Arizona, with a foray to Colorado at one point.

Everything I read about NZ just makes it sound like the perfect place to live, and with my current job, for the first time ever we are actually able to save money. My goal is to save up maybe 100,000 in 3 years. I know my best chance of getting a job is probably Auckland, but with the cost of living, and the major city aspect of it, I'm really trying to steer away from that. Another thing I've been tossing around is the idea of trying to start my own business in NZ, but figured I would take the opportunity to feel that out after I go visit. If I did start start my own business, it would probably be either a computer store (parts, repairs, commissioned work), or an Adult Boutique (manged a chain of these back in the late 90's, and the profit was insane) if that's even an option there (no clue on regulation/desire for these). Very real chance I would just settle for a full time job as well, just depends on where I end up and whats available I guess.

I'm planning on going on a 2-3 week trip to NZ next December. Renting a car and just driving all over both islands, trying to get a feel, and making sure it is all I hope it is. I'm really looking for a small or mid sized town near the ocean with some vegetation (Preferably the kind not covered in spikes). Somewhere with SOME events would be nice too, even if its just a live band here and there, although I know the larger the city the more to do.

Anyone have any experience here? Tips, tricks, recommendations? Does my plan sound realistic, if not, what aspect? Any advice? Anything I should know before going?

Thanks in advance!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I looked into New Zealand about 6 or 7 years ago and came to the conclusion that it's a real bitch to get a work visa. I'd absolutely love to live there though. Unless you're on their highly sought after skills list, they basically don't want you. Things may have changed since then, however.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I was on the verge of getting over there last year around August but ended up 1 point off for preferred work visa status and lost the job due to being in a waiting list rather than just getting rushed through the process. They are pretty nuts about getting a lot of tech people into the country over there. No degrees for both of you might make things a bit tougher but 15+ years of experience will probably make up for it on your visa points test. Age might be a factor as well with 32 usually being the cutoff for gaining points towards your visa.

Auckland never seemed that bad for costs when I was seriously looking into moving and it is surrounded by suburbs where the costs go down a lot move. Even in the suburbs your commute is going to be nothing like AZ. The job that I was going for was in Christchurch just after the first earthquake which seemed like a pretty nice place to try to go until it had the second earthquake. Auckland definitely seems like the place to be.

Another route that I ended up trying was to grab a job in the UK. You get a UK work visa and you can basically do anything and they are massively in need of almost all things tech related. Probably not the best option for you since you'd be stuck in the UK for at least a year waiting out your sponsorship.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Bump!

Might be headed here for a few weeks for work.

Tourist-y advice?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If you want a tour bus type thing, I had a blast on a Kiwi Experience tour of the North island:http://www.kiwiexperience.com/

Otherwise known as the Jolly Green Pussy Machine by the locals, as the buses are often 2/3 women.

A lot of the really out there adventure type stuff is in Queenstown on the South island. I can't offer any advice on that, as I didn't make it down that way. However there's plenty of cool shit to do on the North island as well. Highlight of my trip was probably the blackwater rafting in Waitomo:http://www.waitomo.com/black-water-rafting.aspx

I enjoyed the hell out of a couple day stay in Paihia, North of Auckland. Really pretty up there. You can go all the way to the tip of the island and see where the Tasman sea meets the Pacific, and then boogey board down a 400' sand dune. Then spend a week getting said sand out of your ears.

It's pretty hard to list all the fun shit you can do in NZ, it's an awesome country.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Thanks Eomer. Next question!

I see they have wacky AC outlets. Any recommendations on adapters?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Not really. Depending on what you're wanting to plug in, you'll need a transformer as well, since they're 230V and 50hz.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Laptop
Nexus 7
Galaxy Nexus

smile.png

I think I'm headed to Auckland Feb 4th.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Most laptop chargers can handle the voltage/frequency, not so sure about your phone/table charger, just read the fine print on them. If they can, then all you need is the physical adapter, no transformer.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I guess I could jam them into my laptop USB.

Can you rent a car down there without learning to drive on thewrongside of the road first?