Newark (Sopranos Prequel) (2020)

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This came out today on HBO Max and theaters. Reviews seem to be pretty good. Anyone watch it yet?

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I’m gonna give it a go but this is pure cash grab. Let’s take the greatest show ever, strip out what made it great, then go back 40
Years and follow characters we don’t know or care about.

seriously, there is no sopranos without Gandolfini. This is just a generic meatball movie cashing in on a name

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The story/pacing of this movie is shit.

Just one of its many issues

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
The ”movie” felt like a visualization of a fan wikipedia page describing some of the backstory of the sopranos. Watched it outside with my family last night during a fall dinner and at the very end the consensus from everyone was “that’s it?”. Then the credits played and a short scene started playing and everyone was “Oh!” then 15 seconds after stunned silence again as the disappointment set in for the second time.

This would have been good as a stand alone special or pilot right before launching another TV series focusing on young Tony but as an actual movie it’s disappointing and I can’t imagine anyone who went to the movies and paid to see this is happy. It was a very slow burn that never paid off.

Apparently there is talk now of launching a sequel of this but focused on Tony in his 20’s and with the original creators of the Sopranos pitching in.

Demon Hunter

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Was pretty damn excited to see it but man was a bit of a disappointment. Was fine with the first third being when he was a kid and thought we would see more of Tony when he was in his teenage years, but seemed more of a angsty whatever.

I rolled my eyes with the riots and saw immediately they decided to go woke with a part of the universe NO ONE wanted to see or gave a shit about. I'd rather see the Tony in his twenties, knocking over the card game or some shit.

and what the fucking fuck, June took out Dicky. Over him laughing at him slipping. No real conflict at all between them two to explain the zero to hitjob bullshit. Nice fake out, thought the black guy was going to do it /golfclap. And kind of cringe with Chris narrating it.

Overall, 4/10 for the nostalgia and the "Hey I remember that". But waste of time, hype and the money they wasted on it.

Edit: And lol at Sil. They took his character and made his younger self a caracture of his future self, come on Chase don't patronize us.

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Sopranos is not something you can do in the modern world. I would love to see the melt down a scene like this would cause;

or this classic;

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I felt it was a decent movie, nothing exceptional.

Would have made a good pilot episode for a new series where more of the stories could be told.

I really liked the actors portrayal of the classic characters. Many of them nailed the performances.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I only made it halfway through this before my kids woke up. Does the Italian chick ever get naked?

spronk

FPS noob
yeah she gets naked but you won't really like who she gets naked with. You get ~30 seconds of some titties, thats about it. They are nice titties.

honestly if you like the Sopranos DO NOT watch this movie, its absolutely terrible and retroactively ruins the Sopranos a little bit. I wish i hadn't watched it. Just pointless, fucking stupid, and for a show that had maybe 15 minutes of screen time with black people in it over 86 episodes, its entirely bizarre that about 50% of this movie is dealing with black characters and black issues. None of it makes any sense either.

this is the Last Jedi of the Sopranos, just character assassinations all around

I was thinking of rewatching Sopranos but honestly after seeing this turd i don't really want to, so thanks for saving me 86 hours i guess

(young) Tony Soprano is barely in the movie, and nothing he does is really important or relevant. You could cut his part out entirely and nothing would change. Honestly the only good thing in the movie is (prison) Ray Liotta, but the setup for that character is so ludicrously stupid its just baffling. The entire movie feels like the message is "You like mobster movies? Well, fuck you, here's a pile of shit. HAHAHA!"

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There was really no point to this movie at all. It doesnt add or take away anything from the tv show. Nothing of note happens and really nothing happens in the movie period. You could fast forward to the last 30 minutes where most of the action comes in. Tony is basically a background character who shows up for maybe a total of 15 minutes. Putting him on the movie poster was really just a way to try and sell this movie.

The casting was really well done. The actors did a good job portraying the characteristics and looks of the original show.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Huge Sopranos fan but...

1633238714333.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
I never watched the show, so, thought this would be a good way to get the wife interested - it definitely had the opposite effect. We both thought it was terrible. I really don't understand the positive reviews (75% from critics on rotten tomatoes). I thought maybe we were just missing out on a lot of context or nuance since we didn't know the characters, so, I'm sort of glad to see some fans of the show hated it here.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Every movie critic is a woke fag. Always assume the opposite of what they say.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users