News: Plane Goes down.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Consensus is that the load inside of it shifted rearward throwing off its center of mass.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
The chap filming that was one mild mannered motherfucker, not one word or exclamation that a plane is falling out of the sky in his local vicinity!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The chap filming that was one mild mannered motherfucker, not one word or exclamation that a plane is falling out of the sky in his local vicinity!
Exactly what I thought. It sounds like he even sighs once he has to reverse. "Not this shit again."

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
There was like one "fuck" 1 minute after crash but I took it more as a " Fuck now I have to upload that shit on Youtube" than a "HOLY FUCKING SHIT A PLANE JUST FUCKING CRASHED IN FRONT OF ME".

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Damn, plane hung there just long enough that the crew knew their ticket was punched probably--that had to have sucked for them =-/.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I was going to say, that must have been a solid 20 second moment of complete and utter hopelessness for the pilots.

Out of curiosity, in general terms, would whoever loaded and secured the cargo have been on the plane still?

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Clearly they should have spent more time on the treadmill first. That had to be some scary shit
frown.png

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I was going to say, that must have been a solid 20 second moment of complete and utter hopelessness for the pilots.

Out of curiosity, in general terms, would whoever loaded and secured the cargo have been on the plane still?
Ground crew would have done that, so no. The planes do carry a loadmaster that should have signed off on and checked over the cargo, and he undoubtedly was on the plane.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is there nothing that can be done to make plane crashes less deadly? Giant parachutes, ejection seats or something? It just seems there has been nothing added to plane safety, like ever. Basically if the plane is goin down, you're screwed.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
You really think nothing has even been added to plane safety? Like redundant flight control systems, better pilot training, tighter regulation on hours and breaks, and so on? Plenty has been done. The fact of the matter is that for a plane to be able to fly, it has to be lightly constructed, and if you slam it in to the ground at a couple hundred miles an hour with tens of thousands of gallons of fuel, it's going to go boom. Almost all the work has gone in to preventing crashes in the first place rather than increasing the survivability of them, because that's where the effort is best and most practically spent.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
You really think nothing has even been added to plane safety? Like redundant flight control systems, better pilot training, tighter regulation on hours and breaks, and so on? Plenty has been done. The fact of the matter is that for a plane to be able to fly, it has to be lightly constructed, and if you slam it in to the ground at a couple hundred miles an hour with millions of gallons of fuel, it's going to go boom. Almost all the work has gone in to preventing crashes in the first place rather than increasing the survivability of them, because that's where the effort is best and most practically spent.
Not disagreeing with your overall premise/argument, but that statement is hugely false. There isn't a single plane that carries a million gallons of fuel. A Boeing 747 uses 40,000 gallons to go from US to Europe.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
According to National Airlines, the U.S.-based cargo carrier, Flight NCR102, had just taken off from Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan en route to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, when the crash occurred.
why was it going to Dubai?does the US now have a base there?

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Is there nothing that can be done to make plane crashes less deadly? Giant parachutes, ejection seats or something? It just seems there has been nothing added to plane safety, like ever. Basically if the plane is goin down, you're screwed.
They do have plane-parachutes and ejection seats and all kinds of stuff. They all only work under specific circumstances or have cost/space restrictions.

Physics is our enemy when flying so it will always be inherently dangerous, as man was not born with wings and therefore not meant to fly!

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
You really think nothing has even been added to plane safety? Like redundant flight control systems, better pilot training, tighter regulation on hours and breaks, and so on? Plenty has been done. The fact of the matter is that for a plane to be able to fly, it has to be lightly constructed, and if you slam it in to the ground at a couple hundred miles an hour with tens of thousands of gallons of fuel, it's going to go boom. Almost all the work has gone in to preventing crashes in the first place rather than increasing the survivability of them, because that's where the effort is best and most practically spent.
Yup, and that was not my argument. Clearly things have been done to prevent crashes, but crashes are still going to happen. What I haven't seen is something to improve the survivability of a crash.