NFL 2014 Off-Season Thread

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This shit could happen to anyone, what if the Rooneys somehow lose the Steelers after enough of them get old and die? No way to tell which bored rich person will decide they want to own a football team.
tumblr_lf82yjPVMc1qg6pyio1_500.gif

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We must have different definitions of the word dynasty.
I think going to 4 super bowls and an NFC championship in 10 years and winning 3 of them is pretty dynasty-like. Only a handful of teams have had a run like that.

I have a hard time believing that the Redskins named their team after something in order to disparage it. You pick a team mascot as something that you want to be associated with, not something you want to mock. There are no teams called the North Dakota Dipshits or the Ohio Fucktards.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The ironic part is this has almost nothing to do with football. It was all a media concoction that started last year, and then a bunch of politicians decided to get involved. I'm pretty sure about 99.99% of football fans don't give a shit.
I mentioned this earlier but it's not new. I mean, the name has been un-trademarked twice before. It's just that public opinion has turned in the last few years, largely due to media coverage, which was something that this didn't get the last few times.

And yeah, that's good run. It's no 49ers, but it's a good run.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I think going to 4 super bowls and an NFC championship in 10 years and winning 3 of them is pretty dynasty-like. Only a handful of teams have had a run like that.

I have a hard time believing that the Redskins named their team after something in order to disparage it. You pick a team mascot as something that you want to be associated with, not something you want to mock. There are no teams called the North Dakota Dipshits or the Ohio Fucktards.
Your right I get screwed up by the Superbowl year being the following year of the regular season. Super Bowl wins are the only thing that matters when it comes to "dynasty", but 3 Super Bowls in 10 years is close enough.

I also agree that there's no way an owner would name their team something derogatory like it's a fantasy football team

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Teddy looking like a star already in camp. Interesting that there has been several extremely positive headlines and reports about Teddy, but there has been a complete lack of things about Manziel (other than his Vegas trip) and Bortles. I guess these "analysts" leading up the draft were idiots afterall. His deep-ball looks good and seems Norv is extremely impressed by it to.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was fully expecting to mock this "no pads, no hitting, game of catch" camp vid, but yeah he looks sharp. The "can handoff" was a nice touch by whoever put that vid together.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I was fully expecting to mock this "no pads, no hitting, game of catch" camp vid, but yeah he looks sharp. The "can handoff" was a nice touch by whoever put that vid together.
His throw is definitely different than what I am use to seeing. He seems to be releasing earlier (a good thing considering it was quicker than the other rookies) and keeping the velocity (was rated the best/fastest amongst the rookie QBs aswell). I typically do not go by these "no pads, no hitting" things either, but everything about it so far is the exact opposite of what the media was downplaying him for. And as previously stated, there is nothing but crickets regarding Bortles or Manziel.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, Manziel still has a bit of a media circus but as far as on the field I've actually seen some rumors that he's underperforming if anything. Not really paying that close of attention though. Teddy's passing looked really crisp and zippy though I agree.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Well, Manziel still has a bit of a media circus but as far as on the field I've actually seen some rumors that he's underperforming if anything. Not really paying that close of attention though. Teddy's passing looked really crisp and zippy though I agree.
Should have been more specific. We are hearing nothing but crickets revolving around Manziel and Bortles when it comes to the sport, not the media-circus of Vegas gambling, etc.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Teddy looking like a star already in camp. Interesting that there has been several extremely positive headlines and reports about Teddy, but there has been a complete lack of things about Manziel (other than his Vegas trip) and Bortles. I guess these "analysts" leading up the draft were idiots afterall. His deep-ball looks good and seems Norv is extremely impressed by it to.

Wow...Nice.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I didn't follow the stuff up to the draft, but why did Bridgewater fall so far? I thought for sure he'd be either the #1 or #2 overall pick. I was absolutely baffled that Bortles and Manziel went before him. But I guess that's why the Browns and Jaguars are so fucking terrible. They're both going to regret that shit.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I didn't follow the stuff up to the draft, but why did Bridgewater fall so far? I thought for sure he'd be either the #1 or #2 overall pick. I was absolutely baffled that Bortles and Manziel went before him. But I guess that's why the Browns and Jaguars are so fucking terrible. They're both going to regret that shit.
His pro-day was less than stellar. No idea why he chose to throw without a glove, but most likely because scouts think using a glove is a weakness. Ironically, the best QBs that are playing today use a glove (Manning, Brady, Big Ben, etc). His tape was phenomenal, probably the best tape out of any QB but because of a bad pro-day, he was downranked heavily. You then had people shortly after start to make judgements on his size, his frame (small waist, etc; but pre-pro-day, people said he had a great size), his small hands (bigger than Manziel's I believe however), saying he does not have the strength (evem though before the pro-day, people said he had great strength). Basically, scouts and analysts were trying to save-face because they touted him so much prior, and didn't live up to it based on damn Pro Day, so they started re-negging on their prior positive analysts and turning them into negatives. The ex-players, such as Kurt Warner, Sapp, etc, all stood by him through the end and said he is easily the best QB out of the draft.

Minnesota got the best deal out of anyone with their pick. Manziel is a mediocre QB that will not survive in the NFL (think RG3, but will be much worse as he cannot throw, lacks IQ, cannot read a defense). Bortles has incredible potential as he has a huge frame and very strong, but I do not think he has the IQ or skillset to be an elite QB until much later on. Bridgewater has the IQ, has the skillset, has the arm (despite what analysts say, tape contradicts them), has the mobility, can read the field (like Manning, but obviously not to that degree yet) as he ran a pro-style offense. He is a pocket passer, not a big runner, but that'll save his career/longevity in the NFL. And guess what, the greatest QBs in the league today are ALL pocket passers. The ones you rarely see playing is because they are not pocket passers, they are running-based QBs that get injured constantly.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I'm getting the feeling you kinda like this guy, LV.
Look at my location under my name... U of L is also my Alma Mater. I also got to see this kid develop overtime as I went to nearly every game (got to meet his mom twice). I was also born in Minnesota and lived there for 15 years, so I am excited to see the Vikings not continue with mediocrity
biggrin.png

Djay

Trakanon Raider
As a Vikings fan, I was very happy with the pick when it happened. I'm obviously still happy with it, but I'm not going to get drawn into any off-season hype.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
People seriously said he had the worst pro day they had ever seen. There is tape of it out there. He's flinging balls all over the place. This was the cause of his fall for the most part. Other than that, Bortles got a ton of hype because of his ideal size. Teddy B isn't a giant with legs like that dude.

He was my favorite QB coming into the draft though and I am very happy the Vikings were able to snag him.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
People seriously said he had the worst pro day they had ever seen. There is tape of it out there.He's flinging balls all over the place.This was the cause of his fall for the most part.
I can't remember if it was during Gruden's QB camp or from something else, but basically I heard/read that there were ~3 horrific throws and the rest of the throws were fine and everyone blew it out of proportion because that's what people do now.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I can't remember if it was during Gruden's QB camp or from something else, but basically I heard/read that there were ~3 horrific throws and the rest of the throws were fine and everyone blew it out of proportion because that's what people do now.
Probably the case. Either way glad it made him drop.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the NFL intentionally makes drafting look like rocket science. You mean the QB that was the best pro style QB in college is the best of the bunch in the pros too? MIND BOTTLING!

It is fun that the same team that spent a top 10 pick on Ponder might end up with a qb being the steal of the draft.