NFL 2014 Off-Season Thread

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Change it to a cool name and in 20 short years, young fans won't even associate the team with its completely incompetent past. The fact that there is outrage over the team name is a blessing in disguise. It's an excuse to rebrand into a team that isn't embarrassing to everyone involved, and make no mistake, if you're a Redskins fan you should be embarrassed, for one reason or another.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That is a good thought but you should probably wait until Snyder is gone to do the rebranding.

Daestrom_sl

shitlord
m7QhPao.png
I would root for the Chinamen I think. F political correctness and sensitivity. People got too much time on their hands getting butthurt about everything.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Just because I refute your dumbass opinion doesn't mean I'm a champion for a cause, I was absolutely aware of how fucked the name was a decade ago. That's the kind of thing that happens when you grow up 10 minutes from a reservation and have Native American friends.

Why would the Fighting Irish be a negative stereotype? The logo, I could see reasoning behind it, but the name doesn't insinuate anything.
And you were a fucking Cardinals fan 10 years ago. You were offended by the Redskins name 10 years ago? Give me a fucking break. That must've been why you were so outspoken about it in the FoH football threads. Oh, wait, you were humping Kurt Warner's nuts and your "outrage" is a bullshit fabrication, I forgot.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I noticed the article from DC quoted only two proponents for not changing and none against it, interdasting.

also

Whopping sample size there, so they polled roughly .01% of Native Americans and found out that it wasn't offensive, CASE CLOSED BOYS. Or maybe it was a survey performed in an area where those people weren't offended by it.

That article is basically dogshit and the fact that you linked that in favor of an argument that you're trying to make just goes to show how pathetic the argument even is. Especially since the latter part gives pretty good precedence as to why the name should be changed.

Shit even in the article they talk about the cultural diversity amongst Native Americans and how some are offended by it and some aren't.
So since you don't like the small sample size of the poll referenced in the article I linked, find me a poll of the same size or larger where the majority of Native Americans are offended by the name.

You can't, because it doesn't exist.

It's all just white people assuming that they must be offended.

Daestrom_sl

shitlord
Oh, and to stay on topic. A big part of my ancestry is Lakota Indian on my father's side. Redskin never bothered me or anyone on that side of the family that I was ever aware of.

There are lots of Native American HS sports teams that even call themselves so and so "redskins". Are they just ignorant politically incorrect people that need to be enlightened by the intellectual and socially astute white man? That seems a little more racist from my point of view, telling me I'm too ignorant to even know what should and shouldn't offend me.

I mean. Use some simple logic. Have you ever heard someone use redskin in a negative connotation? Have you ever done so yourself? How can it be a racial epithet if it's not even used as one in the common vernacular?

Lastly. Those that are comparing the word Redskin to the word American Inventor are, for lack of a better term, retarded. I don't see black people calling their teams the so and so American Inventors. The word encapsulates a host of negative ideas/thoughts, stupid, thug, punk, I could go on. What kind of imagery do you get with the word redskin? A football team or someone of native American background.

In summary, no one insults ANYONE today by calling them a redskin. So by definition it cannot be a racial epithet if it's not used as one.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Florio had a good litmus test and it kind of makes sense. If the NFL were to approve an expansion team (and the Redskins didn't already exist), what are the chances of Redskins being a name that would even be suggested? At this point it's not really whether or not it's offensive. It's if you even want to have that conversation repeatedly overxnumber of years until it either goes way on its own or the name is changed.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That is every bit as awesome as I had hoped it would be.

"Manziel sent me a homemade video of himself at Walt Disney World on "It's a Small World" ride in the Magic Kingdom, and while the song is on, he puts the camera down unbuttons his pants, and pulls his penis out and jingles his penis to the music."
Well played Johnny, well played.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Oh, and to stay on topic. A big part of my ancestry is Lakota Indian on my father's side. Redskin never bothered me or anyone on that side of the family that I was ever aware of.

There are lots of Native American HS sports teams that even call themselves so and so "redskins". Are they just ignorant politically incorrect people that need to be enlightened by the intellectual and socially astute white man? That seems a little more racist from my point of view, telling me I'm too ignorant to even know what should and shouldn't offend me.

I mean. Use some simple logic. Have you ever heard someone use redskin in a negative connotation? Have you ever done so yourself? How can it be a racial epithet if it's not even used as one in the common vernacular?

Lastly. Those that are comparing the word Redskin to the word American Inventor are, for lack of a better term, retarded. I don't see black people calling their teams the so and so American Inventors. The word encapsulates a host of negative ideas/thoughts, stupid, thug, punk, I could go on. What kind of imagery do you get with the word redskin? A football team or someone of native American background.

In summary, no one insults ANYONE today by calling them a redskin. So by definition it cannot be a racial epithet if it's not used as one.
I like this post. Also, about what imagery I get when I think redskins? Peanuts. Now they are politically correct 'Spanish' peanuts.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm surprised Snyder isn't all over this name change thing, considering it would force people to buy tons of new jerseys and other shit.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pssh. Dan Snyder gives people tens of millions of dollars who arent ever going to play football in the NFL again.