NFL 2017-18: Watch athletes destroy their brains

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The first TD was definitely controversial. However ESPN has been running this "TWO CONTROVERSIAL TDs!!!" narrative to the ground. I don't know how anyone in their right mind could think that the second TD in discussion was controversial in any way.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
FIRST TD IMO -based on all the plays i have seen this season- should have been INC- the ball was moving -if i remember correctly with no hands on the ball briefly- then hands on ball for "catch"- but by that time a foot had landed oob.. imo i would have ruled the pass incomplete due being oob when control established. but alas it wasn't ruled that way. For the first time all season.

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
But by the time he the had control he was out of bounds so "Survive the ground" had nothing to do with that play.

Last edited:

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
except the ball never touched the ground, and when it was bobbled, he caught it.

The argument is he was bobbling/ball was moving or sliding in his hands during him originally having feet in bounds, thus doesn't actually have control at that point (would be same thing if ball was tipped up while feet were in, but by the time receiver actually hauled the tipped ball in, they didn't get two feet down after that (had taken another step and one foot or both lands out of bounds at that point). Question is, how large of a "re-grip" of the ball is a loss of possession or not full possession yet. If the ball is just "sliding" down in a half grip is that not possession, or still enough? Those were the questions on that first one. I don't have a good answer for it.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
I thought the first one was going to be ruled incomplete, and even as an Eagles fan I wouldn't have been that outraged by it. I feel like if it had been ruled incomplete from the start it would have stood as incomplete, it was very close either way.

The second one there wasn't even a question, that one would have caused a riot if it had been overturned.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
JFC, can we lock this thread already and move on to bitching about catch rules in the offseason thread, where hopefully the NFL will address it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
At the risk of being gayer than AIDS, there was video on "Inside the NFL" tonight of the replay ref explaining to another official that while the ball was moving, it was under his arm the whole time and thus "in control". Consensus of the panel was that there's a good chance it would have been reversed during the regular season but the world where that is a catch is probably better than the one where it's not.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I laughed because ESPN couldn't bleep fast enough for the cuss words. That was one of the best speeches ever.