NFL 2017-18: Watch athletes destroy their brains

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The ball can move and you still be considered to have control of it. So while there's a definite chance it was incomplete, there's way a human ref could have possibly seen that in real time and no way there was enough evidence to do anything but let the call stand.

There's ball moves a little "loss of control" and, I had both hands off the ball and had to re-grip with both of my hands, loss of control. You could definitely see that on the replay. Now if it was about not being able to definitively see if he tapped part of the one foot in bounds before another part hit the white, I can fully understand just going with the call on the field. I don't mind the re-grip personally if it's small enough (and it was pretty small), but can definitely see people's point about loss of control on that catch.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
The Patricia second guessing is retarded. He's been their DC for the past 5 years and was hired as the Detroit HC, not DC. Patricia was hired because he's from a very successful organization and hopefully will bring that mindset, organization, philosophy, etc with him. I guess Pederson is a shit coach because his defense looked like asshole all night too...

Really enjoyed the SB but this just encourages even less defense and more fiddling with the rules to ensure no one is stopped.

Edit- much of the enjoyment was actually watching them play instead of watching the refs interfere. Lesson to be learned Goodell...

• 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That would have been some faggot shit if they overturned it. I think Collinsworth love and bias for the Pats is making this a bigger deal than it should be. Because he kept saying over and over it shouldn't be a catch.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

That would have been some faggot shit if they overturned it. I think Collinsworth love and bias for the Pats is making this a bigger deal than it should be. Because he kept saying over and over it shouldn't be a catch.

The final TD I agree. The earlier one frankly I thought was worth a look, and I'm still not positive according to current rules if they got it right.

Collinsworth was loving him some Pats last night, but he had plenty of room in his mouth for Foles' cock as well...along with Pederson's...think people are letting their Pats hate affect their memory. The shit about "almost as good as the half-time show" was fucking terrible, though.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Good game I said if Eagles score more than 30 they would probably win. They did.

Both offenses could not be stopped, both defenses stunk, 1 play changed the game and luckily for the eagles, they got that play. the team that scored last won.

That fumble doesn't happen and the patriots would have won the game, cuz you know they would have gotten a TD.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
You know I think that ball moved and to me thats a bit of loss of control but when it comes down to it you can't really definitively call that one a catch or not a catch and they ruled it a catch on the field, so play stands as called.

That's whats been so stupid about this the entire time. Regular season several times they go back and change the call on inconclusive evidence and we all wonder what the fuck just happened.

Games over, you'll never get over it as a fan because I'm still salty about our Superbowl loss to the Pats.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of my friends, who I watch a lot of football with, is in the party of "if the ball moves even a millimeter using a HD super-slow mo camera, it's a incomplete pass." This shit is getting insufferable. I swear the people most passionate about it, are always the most biased. All they do is apply their righteous indignation, for a convoluted and retarded rule towards the team they want to see come out on top.

On top of that, these same people, they probably yell at you over politics as well. I swear this shit is a mental disorder that brings these mouth droolers out of the woodwork, to validate how right there are at the most pointless shit in life... all the while, they are broke, live in mom's basement, and have no future that doesn't involve breaking their back to make someone else rich.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

The ball can move and still not be a loss of control. When a guy completely has both hands off the ball to then re-grip it, that's when I think people have a case. If he doesn't get 2 feet in bounds after getting hands back on the ball, by current rules it would be incomplete.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
7 some minutes left in the fourth quarter of the Lions-Packers game. Lions score a touchdown, putting them ahead 33-11, and decide to go for the two point conversion. Abdullah lined up in he backfield. Trick play starts -- the snap goes straight to Abdullah as Golden Tate swoops around across the backfield. Abdullah hands off to Tate as Stafford sneaks ahead past the D-line. Tate stops running, throws a forward pass, and Stafford catches it in the end zone. Stafford adds a scoring RECEPTION to his stat line. Talk about insult to injury hahaha.

The Eagles trick play touchdown was almost an exact copy of this^ play from week 17 Lions vs. Packers.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
So this is the new controversy?

Should Eagles have been flagged for illegal formation on Foles' TD catch?

Frankly, if it's a judgement call, I'm glad they didn't flag it. Shit like this would just be too much.
Saints literally just had a touchdown reversed in their game against Minnesota in the divisional round for the exact same thing. They ended up scoring a td again on the drive anyway so it didn't change the outcome really, but Ted Ginn Jr who was flagged for it definitely wasn't any more egregious than this play here. Agree it didn't need to be called here just like it should not have been called in the divisional game. The play needs to be blown dead immediately if they want to call illegal formation.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
The ball can move and you still be considered to have control of it. So while there's a definite chance it was incomplete, there's way a human ref could have possibly seen that in real time and no way there was enough evidence to do anything but let the call stand.

The standard is not ""human ref in realtme" it's guys in the league office who can view it frame by frame if they want. If they see clear and convincing evidence and the based on the precedent of this year that clearly qualified. They simply just choose not to enforce the rule. Likely for the reasons i mentioned earlier.

And like i said that First TD has been called a INC all year up until this point. You can say it's a shitty rule and you don't like it. But don't try to BS it was the correct call based on the rule as it had been applied the past few years. If the NFL front office reviewers were consistent with what they had been ruling this year it was an incompletion no question.

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's probably a conspiracy against the Pats. Eagles SB gets an asterisk.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The standard is not ""human ref in realtme" it's guys in the league office who can view it frame by frame if they want. If they see clear and convincing evidence and the based on the precedent of this year that clearly qualified. They simply just choose not to enforce the rule. Likely for the reasons i mentioned earlier.

And like i said that First TD has been called a INC all year up until this point. You can say it's a shitty rule and you don't like it. But don't try to BS it was the correct call based on the rule as it had been applied the past few years. If the NFL front office reviewers were consistent with what they had been ruling this year it was an incompletion no question.

You can't just make shit up and claim it as fact. Where in the NFL rule book does it say anything about "precedents"? Also saying they're the exact same play is stupid, they were similar but different plays with different circumstances

Last edited:

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
OMFG this shit is turning into politics, my brain is hurting from all this stupid.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Without Precedent your essentially just allowing Judges/Refs to say

"Welp, screw it we are just making up the rules as we go along"

Do you seriously think this is a good idea?

If the NFL head rule guy wanted to announce in the off season he was altering his interpretation of the rule so that plays like those would be Complete. Now.. Thats would be fine. But baring an official rule change i don't see how you re argue against them using the precedent thats been established repeatedly all year.

• 3Salty
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

If the NFL head rule guy wanted to announce in the off season he was altering his interpretation of the rule so that plays like those would be Complete. Now.. Thats would be fine. But baring an official rule change i don't see how you re argue against them using the precedent thats been established repeatedly all year.

While I agree with you it seems like the NFL has been making up the rules as they go for a while now. The Tuck Rule was utter shit, same for the multiple variations of 'what is a catch'? If you follow the money, the NFL hasn't cared about the state pf the game for years if not decades. No full time refs until this year? WTF? There is a reason they are just now looking into defining a catch better...it's called dropped ratings.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Rapaport saying on Twitter sickness, rough week of practice, and apparently curfew violation which is probably the most likely since you don't simply play by your own rules in NE.

Merrith

I get what you're saying about precedent in general...but that doesn't actually apply to almost every catch b/c they're all slightly different situations, rarely is each one going to be the exact same potential issues happening at the exact same time throughout two different catch scenarios.

Like Steelers fans bringing up the James incomplete v. the Ertz TD catch. Wasn't James in that case falling down as he was trying to complete the catch, thus not a runner and still needing to complete the catch with full control through the process of going to the ground...versus Ertz who caught the ball upright and had taken 3 steps before being contacted by a defender and that is what is making him go to the ground, therefore the ruling is he is a runner, and the catch process is already completed. In Ertz's case, as soon as the ball crosses the goal line, it's a TD, even if it pops out after ball hits the ground.

2 "similar" catches, but precedent for how the first was ruled on has no bearing on the 2nd, b/c despite being somewhat similar of having a guy diving/reaching the ball out across the goal line and having it pop out of his hands as it contacts the ground...two completely different rules apply based on the slight differences in what happened prior.

Whether or not those situations should be handled by two different rules is another discussion entirely, of course...

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Ultimately, this bullshit is just a flaw in the overall nature of football. In the late 80's-early 90's, I was in favor of instituting replay to help eliminate the occasional corner cases of incorrect calls. Over the years it has just grown totally out of control. I am probably a monority, but I am in favor of just totally scrapping it.

My wife hates football because of the constant, horrific injuries to people's brains and because it is so slow but will sit on the edge of her seat for every, single St. Louis Blues game because its non-stop action and the rules are fairly simple to understand (in comparison to football). People I know who were always excited about football seem to care more about NBA, MLB and NHL. Maybe XFL can liven things up a little.