NFL 2018 - 2019 -- Watch America's favorite sport wither away and die

Naxi Qayreon

Trakanon Raider
Lets be generous and assume Bell retires at age 34. He then has what 30 to 40 more years to live off what he has made, all the while paying for his own medical care without insurance.

He's already played 5 years, more than enough to qualify for the pension plan starting at age 50 or fully at 55. If we are being generous and say he makes it to 34 in the NFL, then he'll only need to coast 20 years or so and still live a comfortable life getting 100k+ a year, not including whatever he invests in the NFL 401k plans and such. I'm friendly with some Steeler vets still living in Pittsburgh and it's a sweet perk.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
No, no,, no. The NFL is contracting not expanding. They are looking towards Mexico, London, etc not so much as natural expansion but because their product is suffering. Shitty refs, flag football, CTE, and shitty product from lack of practices isn't suddenly going to change as the game continues to get worse. There is no advantage for players because the NFL knows this shit too. You can't ask for more when there is less on the table...not successfully. Especially since the PA doesn't have nearly the power you think they do. If they did, the franchise tag would have never occurred.

Bell gave up his season because he's a selfish fuck(no problem with that). He can try to find other reasons but he thought he was worth more than the Steelers did. The end. It's fine because he will make more money but he isn't some new standard. At the end of the day. someone will pay him a ridiculous amount, he will fuck their numbers for 3-5 years, and the final determination of that's team's playoff chances will revolve around cheap draft picks and the QB. Because RBs are a dime a dozen.

Stop seeing this as anything but a business. He is not being selfish in the least. Especially at his position. He played the only hand he had. If he broke his ankle, the team would try and fuck him the next year....

RB's are a dime a dozen. Great RB's are not. He would not be paid otherwise. Is the RB position devalued the last 10 years? Yes. It also has evolved also to more catch 1st than run. He's one of the best at what he does that is why he can get away with his stupidity of not signing the 70/30m

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
That's all fine and good but the franchise tag is going to be reworked one way or the other.

It's not just about Bell the player either, it's also about the negative exposure that was caused by this hold out. It doesnt bode well for the league. Part of this is position related, but ultimately the franchise tag will be re structured or outright eliminated as we know it.

That, along with the garaunteed contract is certainly evidence of a favorable shift in the market for players.

Also what data is showing the NFL is going backwards? Ratings and revenue has been steady, even this year, maybe they dont have a capacity for growth, but they still command a huge audience and lucrative sponsorships and TV/Streaming deals.

Yup. NFL took a hit with the whole kneeling thing, but please...WE LOVE FOOTBALL. The league has the worst commissioner of the big four sports, and STILL beats em all financially and popularity wise.

Franchise tag. Use it and the player gets guaranteed 5 years at that salary. Simple solution I just came up with as a typed this out! I'm a fuckin genius!

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As far as the bell/Conner situation, it seems to me like the biggest comparison between the two is an under appreciated steelers o line...

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think people are sleeping a little bit on just how good Conner actually is, too. Without the cancer shit wouldn't he have been a 1st round pick? He's not some random scrub by any stretch.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The only thing that hurts Connor's perceived value is DeAngelo Williams. DeAngelo was one of the top fantasy options when they plugged him in recently. He was also way past his prime, but yet was still extremely effective and productive.

This speaks to the Steelers o line and scheme being favorable. Bell just gets more football capital as he has been doing it for 3 years at the highest level.

If Bell is not good on his new team then we will get more clarity as to whether or not Connor is good, or the Steelers o line is carrying him. Kind of? Because if Bell sucks next year, it shows the o line was a factor, so it doesnt really shake out whether or not Connor is any good.

Merrith

The only thing that hurts Connor's perceived value is DeAngelo Williams. DeAngelo was one of the top fantasy options when they plugged him in recently. He was also way past his prime, but yet was still extremely effective and productive.

This speaks to the Steelers o line and scheme being favorable. Bell just gets more football capital as he has been doing it for 3 years at the highest level.

If Bell is not good on his new team then we will get more clarity as to whether or not Connor is good, or the Steelers o line is carrying him. Kind of? Because if Bell sucks next year, it shows the o line was a factor, so it doesnt really shake out whether or not Connor is any good.

A good buddy and I always talk a shit ton of football every year, and there were those couple seasons of suspension/injury where Bell missed the start of the season and Williams would fill in. We'd be all like "man Deangelo Williams should be starting somewhere, best backup RB in football, they don't even miss Le'veon!". Then Bell would come back, and inevitably within 2 or 3 games we'd have to admit yeah Bell is a monster, he's the best back in football. Because he would just exceed what Williams could do.

I agree their scheme and O line (to say nothing of the threat that Ben/Brown/rest of the passing game gives them) is very good, but I also think Bell has proven worth, and that Conner is way above average even above Williams as a fill in. Credit goes all ways here, but I'm going to lean on the side that says Bell and Conner are both top 10 backs potentially versus it just all being their O line and scheme.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Hearing a whooooole lotta Packers fans in this "best home field advantage in the NFL" Seahawks stadium.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
They seriously need to fire his ass. The GM should also be looking at getting Bell. Of course, neither will happen.

Merrith

I knew they weren't getting the ball back when they punted on 4th and 2 with 4 min left.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
can anyone tell me whats happening with the Packers this season? ive been out of the loop for like 2-3 seasons