NFL 2019 Season: It's Tricky!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Can Jerry just croak already? I'm honestly not so sure Dallas wouldn't have more SB's than if he'd never bought the team at all. I mean, feck even NYG managed a few with Eli Manning at QB.

The Jones family has lost all equity with me and any Cowboys fan with a brain - not saying this hire won't work out, but it's very underwhelming and to me reeks of Jerry hiring another guy he can control. Aikman was completely right about the circus in Dallas

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A clear upgrade. I wanted somebody younger with upside, but I’m happy with the hire. He had a lot of success in GB (you cannot tell his resume and Sean Payton’s resume apart). Also, his decision making is much more aggressive than the ultra conservative Garrett. Lastly, word is he wants to employ a 14 person analytics team, something Garrett and the Cowboys haven’t really used over the past decade. The year off supposedly really help McCarthy gain a fresh perspective of the game. Not sure he can take this team to the SB, but they will certainly be better coached.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We endured 10 years of Jason Fagrett just to hire the toll booth attendant?

source.gif

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Jokes aside, I'm not sure what people expected. The 2 legit head coaches they've had since Jerry bought the team were both run off because of him. How likely are they to get someone like that? It was going to be a retread or a college dude really. Maybe a mid tier coordinator type.

Also, did anyone expect Tua to not go pro? Not sure he'll still be there for the Chargers, I wouldn't be shocked if Miami took him, although his injury history is obviously an issue.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Jokes aside, I'm not sure what people expected. The 2 legit head coaches they've had since Jerry bought the team were both run off because of him. How likely are they to get someone like that? It was going to be a retread or a college dude really. Maybe a mid tier coordinator type.

Also, did anyone expect Tua to not go pro? Not sure he'll still be there for the Chargers, I wouldn't be shocked if Miami took him, although his injury history is obviously an issue.

You would think he would want to win a SB before he dies. He has to know that he is what's holding the team back. Hire a real coach. Convince someone like Bill Cower to come back. Let him be the fuckin coach and stay hands off. Take a chance on Nick Saban. ANYTHING but a yes man coach.

You are correct. We didn't expect anything really.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You think a guy that hasn’t coached in 13 years would be a better hire than McCarthy? The fuck...

• 1Picard

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
You think a guy that hasn’t coached in 13 years would be a better hire than McCarthy? The fuck...

We aren't talking about players man. You don't lose your coaching skills. You may have to adjust to rule changes or league trends, but yes. I would take Cower over almost any non-playoff team coach now.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
You would think he would want to win a SB before he dies. He has to know that he is what's holding the team back. Hire a real coach. Convince someone like Bill Cower to come back. Let him be the fuckin coach and stay hands off. Take a chance on Nick Saban. ANYTHING but a yes man coach.

Jerry’s ego won’t allow him to win another Super Bowl without him having direct control over all aspects of the team. Everyone properly giving Johnson credit for the three Super Bowl rings Jerry currently owns burns his ass so badly he will die a loser before he relinquishes control again. He has to prove to everyone he is every bit as good a football man as Jimmy was.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, bringing back old coaches that haven't coached in years is a surefire way to success. Just look at how well Gruden is doing..

The game has passed up so many of these old-fart coaches. Most of them come back and have no idea how to adjust to "today's" game. Reeves, Mike Shanahan, Parcells, etc. It's a recipe for a 5-11 record.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yeah, bringing back old coaches that haven't coached in years is a surefire way to success. Just look at how well Gruden is doing..

The game has passed up so many of these old-fart coaches. Most of them come back and have no idea how to adjust to "today's" game. Reeves, Mike Shanahan, Parcells, etc. It's a recipe for a 5-11 record.

Because they always go to shit teams? Dallas isn't a shit team. You are correct, bringing back old farts isn't usually the way to go. Dallas needs to try anything at this point. Bringing in McCarthy IMO is silly. He's an upgrade over Garret, true, but does anyone think he's getting Dallas into the SB? He doesn't have Aaron Rodgers in Dak. I mention Cower because I always thought he was the second best coach of his era. Worth taking a shot on IMO.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Gruden has done more with the Raiders than most people expected going into the season. That said I'm sure cure Cower has had many, many offers over the years that didn't involve such a meddling owner. At this point he's probably good with not having 100 hour work weeks during the season.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Gruden has done more with the Raiders than most people expected going into the season. That said I'm sure cure Cower has had many, many offers over the years that didn't involve such a meddling owner. At this point he's probably good with not having 100 hour work weeks during the season.

LOL. Ya he's not coming out of retirement...But if you threw him a Gruden deal? Maaaaaaaybeee? Huuuuuh?

Last edited:

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean it's possible, I just think it's real unlikely. And as stated I don't think there's any reasonable chance at this point for Jerry to fully embrace someone else doing all the football stuff.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I mean it's possible, I just think it's real unlikely. And as stated I don't think there's any reasonable chance at this point for Jerry to fully embrace someone else doing all the football stuff.

I missed the NOT in my post...LOL sorry. I edited it!