NFL 2020 Season: Gravy Edition!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Obviously it takes a team, but we've also seen what a team even with great weapons can look like with an average QB and what the same/similar team looks like with another. Andy Reid knew what he was doing trading away Alex Smith to being the Pat Mahomes era. Smith had Tyreek and Kelce, hell Mahomes never had Kareem Hunt for a full year...and while they could get so far with Smith, the end results are just night and day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I mean, if your team is going to burn their 1st round pick (along with more draft capital since they traded up) on your potential replacement, versus maybe more receiving help or other areas they could have improved, why not ask for more cash? Not to mention drafting another RB when they had Jones and Williams going into this season.
Drafting another RB was a smart move because we knew Jones was probably not going to be on the roster after this year. And he had a bad game against TB just to drive that point home.

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Stafford could make the Rams really, really good. Not sure how they manage it with Goff's contract, but still interesting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Seems like some lack of belief on that from a few but never know.(not familiar with Vincent Frank) If true, not sure I'd like that vs a single first.

Merrith

Drafting another RB was a smart move because we knew Jones was probably not going to be on the roster after this year. And he had a bad game against TB just to drive that point home.

I mean, the game against Tampa can be viewed as a one off (they've also been the #1 D against the run 2 years in a row), as Jones was pretty great this season along with last year. But that only reinforces my point, if they're going to not want to pay Jones, but Rodgers thinks he has any real shot at getting more money? Take it. The team seemingly isn't going to invest it keeping certain key pieces or spending draft picks on areas that could have helped these next couple years.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If we're talking pure talent I don't think Rice even makes the top 25 of best receivers. He wasn't especially fast, didn't have the ankle breaking jukes, and wasn't out there making circus catches. His peerless work ethic is what made him the greatest receiver of all time, although obviously spending most of his career with Montana or Young as his QB certainly helps. His ability to get open came partially from being one of those crazy 'giving 110% all game long' bastards and having such incredible conditioning that even a Spartan would be jealous, but he also exploded off the line like a racehorse and ran his routes so consistently that you couldnt get a read until he made his move.

Imagine if someone like OBJ had that kind of work ethic instead of being a 70 iq diva, he'd be literally unstoppable. The only person in the modern NFL who puts me in mind of Rice is Julio Jones, who has been surrounded by mediocrity his entire career instead of by hall of famers.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
This is true in a vacuum. When you do it over 20 years and multiple iterations of teammates even on the same team, then hop conferences and go to the Super Bowl again your first year in the NFC...you start to wonder if he was just the biggest part of the reason his teams went so much.

Except you can actually watch the games and realize that's not true. He really hasn't played well in the playoffs outside of their win against the 7-9 team. People forget he wasn't very good last season for the Pats and they got eliminated by a not very good team.

For this year, it's much more likely that Tampa Bay was a really good team being held back by Winston's inability to throw to the other team.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Except you can actually watch the games and realize that's not true. He really hasn't played well in the playoffs outside of their win against the 7-9 team. People forget he wasn't very good last season for the Pats and they got eliminated by a not very good team.

For this year, it's much more likely that Tampa Bay was a really good team being held back by Winston's inability to throw to the other team.
Name a passing target Brady had last year other than Edelman.

I'll wait. AB doesn't count.

• 1Like

Merrith

860 yards passing, 7 TD's 3 Int in 3 games. Total QBR 79.1. He's been pretty good overall. I do think Tampa was a pretty good team overall, but he's clearly also been guy to get them over the hump, and watching him throw the ball compared to someone like Brees was like night and day.

I'm also on the record that I thought Rodgers played better overall than Brady did in the NFC Championship game, but that doesn't mean I thought Brady played poorly.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
860 yards passing, 7 TD's 3 Int in 3 games. Total QBR 79.1. He's been pretty good overall. I do think Tampa was a pretty good team overall, but he's clearly also been guy to get them over the hump, and watching him throw the ball compared to someone like Brees was like night and day.

I'm also on the record that I thought Rodgers played better overall than Brady did in the NFC Championship game, but that doesn't mean I thought Brady played poorly.

K, but like i said take out the game against the team with a losing record and he's 480 yards, 5 TDs, and 3 Int in 2 games. Not listing QBR because it's a fake bullshit stat. And not sure how Brees having one of his worst games has anything to do with Brady

Name a passing target Brady had last year other than Edelman.

I'll wait. AB doesn't count.

A lot of teams out there i can't name the 3rd receiver on, not sure your point.

• 1Dislike

Merrith

K, but like i said take out the game against the team with a losing record and he's 480 yards, 5 TDs, and 3 Int in 2 games. Not listing QBR because it's a fake bullshit stat. And not sure how Brees having one of his worst games has anything to do with Brady

QBR is the good one, you might be thinking of Passer Rating. Only brought up Brees b/c it's crazy how much his ability to throw the ball downfield died this past year or two. Meanwhile Brady has 8 seconds left against Green Bay in the 1st half and is dropping dimes for TD's still.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
QBR is the good one, you might be thinking of Passer Rating. Only brought up Brees b/c it's crazy how much his ability to throw the ball downfield died this past year or two. Meanwhile Brady has 8 seconds left against Green Bay in the 1st half and is dropping dimes for TD's still.

QBR is espn trash that's super secret and has Michael Vick as one of the all time greats. Passer rating has issues, but is a decent gauge of efficiency.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy

not gonna lie i havent had a Bucs play give me a hard on like that since Ronde ran it back against McNabb in the NFCCG

• 1Worf

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
If we're talking pure talent I don't think Rice even makes the top 25 of best receivers. He wasn't especially fast, didn't have the ankle breaking jukes, and wasn't out there making circus catches. His peerless work ethic is what made him the greatest receiver of all time, although obviously spending most of his career with Montana or Young as his QB certainly helps. His ability to get open came partially from being one of those crazy 'giving 110% all game long' bastards and having such incredible conditioning that even a Spartan would be jealous, but he also exploded off the line like a racehorse and ran his routes so consistently that you couldnt get a read until he made his move.

Imagine if someone like OBJ had that kind of work ethic instead of being a 70 iq diva, he'd be literally unstoppable. The only person in the modern NFL who puts me in mind of Rice is Julio Jones, who has been surrounded by mediocrity his entire career instead of by hall of famers.
I actually agree with all of this. However, you have to remember when Rice went to the Raiders at the age of 39, he still put up over 1k receiving yards in consecutive years, with Rich Gannon throwing to him. So while he no doubt benefited from having Montana and Young throw to him for years, he also absolutely elevated the QB play around him. I don't think Gannon was good outside of the couple years Rice was there.

But to your point, it was Rice's consistency that made him so damn good. I mean holy shit, he caught 92 passes when he was 40.

Merrith

QBR is espn trash that's super secret and has Michael Vick as one of the all time greats. Passer rating has issues, but is a decent gauge of efficiency.

I just prefer how QBR seems to not let garbage time stats in games fool it, the way passer rating can look great b/c someone got to throw against a prevent for a full quarter/half.