NHL 2012-13 - Half Season Thread

Juvarisx

Florida
Doesn't work that way in the NHL or all the big teams would disregard cap.

They literally forfeit games until they are under the cap, and you cannot really bury players in the minors anymore

ie. they are fucked

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Doesn't work that way in the NHL or all the big teams would disregard cap.

They literally forfeit games until they are under the cap

ie. they are fucked
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't have a good understanding of that.

yeah, they're pretty much pooched. I knew they had peaked, but I didn't think they'd be total shit for a while longer yet. They're not going to be good again for a decade.

St. Louis, on the other hand, is a beast this year. I hope they don't play like shit in the playoffs.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Cap issues aside, the Sedin's are 32, Kesler is 28 but injury prone as is Booth, Bieksa is 31, Hamhuis is 30, Ballard is 30 and way the fuck overpaid, and they have next to know good prospects coming up. They have to win this year and/or try to hold together the core for next year, and then that's it probably. I guess the Sedin's contracts run out after next season, so it's possible they get resigned for 1-2m less than they currently make each, but that's completely offset by Burrows' awful contract extension.

Really, about half of Vancouver's roster is significantly overpaid IMO.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cap issues aside, the Sedin's are 32, Kesler is 28 but injury prone as is Booth, Bieksa is 31, Hamhuis is 30, Ballard is 30
They were talking about the Pens core guys last night, Fleury is the old man of the group at 28. Though to be fair Orpik(32) always gets ignored in those talks because he's not a scorer, but he's as important as anyone.

Blues are pretty sick. They scare me as a Pens fan more than anyone out East.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I figured the Blues would be the team to beat out of the West last year. They really are scary good in a variety of ways. Big, fast, and talented. And a fuck ton of cap space/flexibility. Extremely well managed and built team.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Orpik is awesome; I'm glad he has a no trade clause. His hit on Kreider is example A of why we need guys like him to keep tossing their weight around, old man or not. Ideally would have been nice had it just taken him out of the play instead of getting a whistle, but that's what you get for skating with your head down. Welcome to the NHL, Kreider. Have some Free Candy.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Do you have any idea why Petrell was playing last night and not say Pajaarvi? Petrell was terrible I thought and seeing as how we are paying Magnus anyway, why not try using him, if even in a 4th line role? Belanger better win all of his faceoffs as well because it looks to be another stellar year of him again.

reefah

Molten Core Raider
Cap issues can be cleared up very quickly with Luongo trade and buying out Ballard and poissbly Booth.

Defense core is strong, and fair value. Sedin's may retire after contacts expire.

Burrows comment is pretty funny, for a player with agv of 29 goals over the last four years. Have a look at some of Oilers amazing signings.

Methodical_sl

shitlord
Less than 2 minutes to play, leafs down 2-0, pull the goalie and score,few seconds later do the same thing and score again, but disallowed-damn that was a good game.
Leafs out played the Sabres but Miller was putting on a clinic in net.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cap issues can be cleared up very quickly with Luongo trade and buying out Ballard and poissbly Booth.

Defense core is strong, and fair value. Sedin's may retire after contacts expire.

Burrows comment is pretty funny, for a player with agv of 29 goals over the last four years. Have a look at some of Oilers amazing signings.
Where is this mythical Luongo trade? Any GM who takes on that contract should be fired on the spot.

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
The Blue Jackets don't have much talent but at least the players look like they give a shit on the ice this year. So that's different. I won't comment much because Ohio sports but I look forward to getting drunk at a few games this year.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Blue Jackets don't have much talent but at least the players look like they give a shit on the ice this year. So that's different. I won't comment much because Ohio sports but I look forward to getting drunk at a few games this year.
Bob is a big step up from Mason though. Hell, he almost stopped brunner

reefah

Molten Core Raider
Where is this mythical Luongo trade? Any GM who takes on that contract should be fired on the spot.
Please he could trade Luongo for picks if he wanted, and teams like Hawks and Oilers would jump so fast. 5.3m cap hit for top 10 goalie, yep I will agree the 10 (?) Years left on the contract sucks.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not like it hasn't happened before...look at the Rangers this year brought to you in part by Gainey actually taking Gomez's shitty contract off Sather's hands.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider

Hey, no one in their right mind thinks that Horcoff or Bulin's contracts are anything but idiotic. I thought it was a bit strange how many people reacted negatively to Hemsky's signing though, especially when you consider it was for only 2 years. Compare it so say Lupul with similar injury history with less point production (and no history of single handedly winning playoff series like Hemsky did against Detroit in 2006) or Burrows who has the sisters feeding him passes. Anyone would score 20+ goals playing with the sisters. He's not a legitimate first line player, and he's barely a second line player. 4.5 million for Burrows is terrible value.

Reefah_sl said:
Please he could trade Luongo for picks if he wanted, and teams like Hawks and Oilers would jump so fast. 5.3m cap hit for top 10 goalie, yep I will agree the 10 (?) Years left on the contract sucks.
Ah, that explains it. You're straight up retarded. The Oilers have never expressed any interest in Luongo. We don't need nor want him, given his amazing capacity for choking and his awful contract. I really have no idea what idiot hockey writers cooked up that rumor. Dubnyk's unproven, sure, but Luongo has proven he can't win. The Oilers also have two or three pretty good prospects in the system whose development we hopefully won't fuck up quite as badly us Dubnyk's. If Dubnyk doesn't prove himself this year, then we have to make a move in the summer for help in net in the short term, and Bulin's contract expiring will be a big relief, but Luongo isn't the answer and no one in the organization thinks he is.

Can't really comment on Chicago, but I doubt they'd be interested either.