NHL 2012-13 - Half Season Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Almost as cute as how much weight you place on the regular season. In reality the champion will be whoever has a goalie go apeshit, same as most years.

Vokoun is mostly providing comedy value right now, it's silly and if he was on another team it would be hilarious.
I will say this...they showed the numbers for the other longest point streaks to start a season and the top 3 (well, 2nd through 4th now thanks to this year's Hawks) all went on to win the Cup. I find it interesting that this particular stat holds up so well whereas the President Trophy winners are less than 1/3 of a chance to go on to win the Cup. Granted, 1/3 of a chance is actually pretty good odds given how crazy the hockey playoffs can be with hot goalies and momentum swings.

On the other hand, the Hawks could absolutely rape the regular season, St. Louis could end up the 8 seed and boom, Halak works magic again.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Chicago also has the biggest goal differential in the league right now at +24 (GF 61, GA 37), the 2nd place team is the Pens with +15. Its not like they are fluking and getting lucky, there are only 2 teams have have a higher GF and one team that has a lower GA. Hawks are dominating both sides of the ice.

Chicago is playing great hockey right now. You can talk all you want about how regular season doesn't matter. Regular season might not matter, but great hockey playing does.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
God damn, I blame the kings for this retarded "the regular season doesn't matter" bullshit. Which is the worst since the hawks and the flyers gave us "goaltending isn't crucial to win a cup".

In the last 18 seasons a division champion won the cup 14 times and the kings are the only team in that time to win in it as an 8 seed. The next lowest winner was the 1995 devils at a 5th seed.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
There's no question that the regular season gives a pretty good indication of which teams have a better or worse chance to win the Cup. However, in terms of ranking "great teams" in the annals of history, for the most part the regular season is irrelevant. The only thing that matters a few years down the road is who won the Cup. So let's wait until June before we start throwing the word "great" around.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also all the recent point streak records are tainted by the 1pt OTL=/ I actually like the rule, but it makes comparing streaks to pre-change ones silly.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also all the recent point streak records are tainted by the 1pt OTL=/ I actually like the rule, but it makes comparing streaks to pre-change ones silly.
This would be a valid point if the blackhawks had lost in overtime.

Bane_sl

shitlord
This would be a valid point if the blackhawks had lost in overtime.
I've been out of school for awhile. Can someone tell me when they changed to using '3' in place of zero?

rrr_img_15313.jpg

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been out of school for awhile. Can someone tell me when they changed to using '3' in place of zero?

rrr_img_15313.jpg
Notice how those are all shoot out losses while grimm is talking about the loser point given for losing in the ot period. Pre shoot all 3 games would have ended in ties, and the hawks would have the same point streak. So their current streak is comparable.

Merrith

God damn, I blame the kings for this retarded "the regular season doesn't matter" bullshit. Which is the worst since the hawks and the flyers gave us "goaltending isn't crucial to win a cup".

In the last 18 seasons a division champion won the cup 14 times and the kings are the only team in that time to win in it as an 8 seed. The next lowest winner was the 1995 devils at a 5th seed.
Yes, it's usually a good team that wins the Cup, but the "regular season doesn't matter" is more directed at the best team in the regular season. The President's trophy has been around for 27 years, and only 7 times has the President's Trophy winner gone on to win the Stanley Cup...while 6 times the President's Trophy winner has lost in Round 1 (pretty sure those are accurate, also means it's only 1/4 the best regular season team wins the Cup not 1/3 like I said earlier). When the best team has essentially as good a chance to get upset in Round 1 as win the Cup, the whole "regular season doesn't matter" carries a bit more weight. The Kings were also a different animal as an 8 seed if you look at their record after the trade deadline last year (picking up Carter and getting healthy at the right time was a huge boost to them).

Bottom line, most of the time you know some teams might be good for an upset or two but they aren't winning the whole thing, but this isn't the NBA either where you'd be hard pressed to find 4 teams a year that can win it all.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, it's usually a good team that wins the Cup, but the "regular season doesn't matter" is more directed at the best team in the regular season. The President's trophy has been around for 27 years, and only 7 times has the President's Trophy winner gone on to win the Stanley Cup...while 6 times the President's Trophy winner has lost in Round 1 (pretty sure those are accurate, also means it's only 1/4 the best regular season team wins the Cup not 1/3 like I said earlier). When the best team has essentially as good a chance to get upset in Round 1 as win the Cup, the whole "regular season doesn't matter" carries a bit more weight. The Kings were also a different animal as an 8 seed if you look at their record after the trade deadline last year (picking up Carter and getting healthy at the right time was a huge boost to them).

Bottom line, most of the time you know some teams might be good for an upset or two but they aren't winning the whole thing, but this isn't the NBA either where you'd be hard pressed to find 4 teams a year that can win it all.
7/27 is a 26% win rate which is actually fantastic when you consider unweighted odds are 1/16 or
1/6 if you are only looking at division winners.

Merrith

7/27 is a 26% win rate which is actually fantastic when you consider unweighted odds are 1/16 or
1/6 if you are only looking at division winners.
I agree they are great odds when looking at 1/16, but in reality there really aren't 16 teams that are going to be good enough or get the bounces/goaltending enough to win 4 series in a row. Also just knowing if you put a fantastic regular season together means odds wise you're season isn't going to end in success about 3 out of 4 times is why the regular season doesn't carry as much weight. It's not so much that it's a good chance that only one of the better teams is likely to win the Cup, it's that there exists just as good a chance that a lower seed can have a good/great series and knock off anyone, any year.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I actually thought that as good as the Kings were, they got incredibly lucky matchups in the playoffs. There was a beat up Cannucks team missing one of the Sedins, which we all know destroys their telepathic link and causes the one on the ice to just spin in circles on one skate. There was the Blues who L.A. is an extremely potent counter to. There was the Yotes, who are all mike smith and nothing else. The devils were really the hardest matchup they had and everyone was fucking baffled that they got as far as they did(even though they are one of my favorite teams).

The Sharks, on the other hand, are a terrible matchup against the Blues. They knock L.A. off in the last two games of the season, take the seven seed, and end up against GUESS WHO?!

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Minus the central division, I consider the western conference not even worth mentioning. Most of the games I've attended on the west coast have made me feel like I'm watching fucking ECHL, and that's saying something. Wheeling Nailers > San Jose.

I'll give you one point in your favor though, and that's that our southeast division is a fucking joke these days. WAY TO GO MERRITH AND YOUR FUCKING CAPS!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Minus the central division, I consider the western conference not even worth mentioning. Most of the games I've attended on the west coast have made me feel like I'm watching fucking ECHL, and that's saying something. Wheeling Nailers > San Jose.

I'll give you one point in your favor though, and that's that our southeast division is a fucking joke these days. WAY TO GO MERRITH AND YOUR FUCKING CAPS!
You don't know shit about fuck. The Western Conference is pretty widely considered the tougher of the two conferences, both in terms of competition and travel. Generally the playoff cutoff is 2-4 points higher in the West than it is in the East, and the West has a better record vs. the East in regular season play. The West has also won a couple more Cups since the conferences were re-arranged in 1994.

This article is a couple years old, but has some useful stats (that can't be looked at this year due to no inter-conference play):http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...ern-conference

No question that the Western Conference is a touch lower scoring than the East. Yesterday or the day before I quickly did the math and EC teams are scoring at about 2.81 gpg vs 2.68 in the WC. But that's a pretty small difference.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

Wow, how could someone be so dumb.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
The mere fact that the fucking habs are in first place in the east should tell you something about the quality of that conference.

Bane_sl

shitlord
The mere fact that the fucking habs are in first place in the east should tell you something about the quality of that conference.
Clearly you don't watch the East. You've got the Penguins who are playing great, Montreal who isn't any team to laugh at. They've got the same speed if not more than Chicago, and the Bruins who have the best win% out of any team, save for Chicago.