NHL 2012-13 - Half Season Thread

Bane_sl

shitlord
This is an interesting look at the new conference line up. Some curiosities in here

Proposed-NHL-Realignment-Map-2013-14.png
Very interesting. Not sure who Illitch sucked off to get moved to the East. Makes no sense having 2 more teams in this conference, where there is a more competitive saturated market. Keep Detroit in the West and I agree with everything except the Wild Card proposal. Sports with Wild Card playoffs suck and make to ensure that the best teams are NOT in the playoffs. Best records get in. There should be no other options.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didn't even mention those teams. The habs are not good. The Bruins are fucking monsters. Comparing the habs to the hawks is just plain laughable. The pens should be fucking amazing, and I honestly don't know what to say about that team. They baffle me. But, if you're looking for a sheer mass of good teams, the west has the east beat pretty badly.

Bane_sl

shitlord
I didn't even mention those teams. The habs are not good. The Bruins are fucking monsters. Comparing the habs to the hawks is just plain laughable. The pens should be fucking amazing, and I honestly don't know what to say about that team. They baffle me. But, if you're looking for a sheer mass of good teams, the west has the east beat pretty badly.
I compared their SPEED to the Hawks, which is a very valid comparison. Montreal is one of the fastest teams in the league imo. I'm sorry though, I disagree with the East vs West comparison. East has it won.

Boston Bruins
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins

We've also got the best players by far.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Such bullshit they want to separate Chicago and Detroit. I loathe the re-alignment.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I will agree that the east has the top few players in the league, outside of datsyuk. I believe the west has a larger average of good players, though. You have so many talented players in the west, but you have none that get the publicity of a crosby/malkin or a brodeur because western conference players seem to play more of a systems game which doesn't lend itself to setting records outside of...oh...i don't know...winning(hawks).

The flyers are amazingly overrated too. Oh, and the Rangers might just be on their way to one of the biggest upsets of a season in a long time, which is a shame because I like the rangers.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Oh hi, I've decided the west is better so let me link you an article by a fucking Canucks writer. I'm sure that's totally unbiased.

Seasons are insular to begin with; conferences not intermingling much is an issue, since it creates arguments like this. Most old hockey fans have consistently found better games and better competition out east. It's only a new phenomenon that people say west, and it's mostly fans and writers from the west. That's not to say there aren't teams that deserve it; I loathe the red wings because of their talent. They've often been a thorn in my pens side.

But if you're on the east, you consider the Flyers laughable. No one takes those assholes seriously except Flyers fans. (Who are also all assholes.) They throw their weight around and if they can't get the other team to do the same it's fucking over for them.

So we'll see with the realignment I guess. If we end up with a bunch of cup finals with old west conference teams, that'll be the proof. But as it stands, I think it's far more likely we'll have a lot of cup finals with the Bruins + ...well anyone else out here. Felt dirty saying that, fucking Bruins.

But not the caps. Sorry Merrith.

Bane_sl

shitlord
I will agree that the east has the top few players in the league, outside of datsyuk. I believe the west has a larger average of good players, though. You have so many talented players in the west, but you have none that get the publicity of a crosby/malkin or a brodeur because western conference players seem to play more of a systems game which doesn't lend itself to setting records outside of...oh...i don't know...winning(hawks).

The flyers are amazingly overrated too. Oh, and the Rangers might just be on their way to one of the biggest upsets of a season in a long time, which is a shame because I like the rangers.
Who gives a shit about records and systems? It's about winning. I'm sorry, but the Chicago "record" really isn't all that impressive. The OTL bullshit makes that record fabricated. They lost their 7th game. They're good and all, but we've still got a very small sample size. We will see what happens in the long term.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Who gives a shit about records and systems? It's about winning. I'm sorry, but the Chicago "record" really isn't all that impressive. The OTL bullshit makes that record fabricated. They lost their 7th game. They're good and all, but we've still got a very small sample size. We will see what happens in the long term.
Assuming that it is truly only about winning, you only support my argument.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
TBH, it's all a moot argument anyways. I think we should all come together, east haters and west haters, and just all loathe the caps.

I think that is where our energy is best spent.

Bane_sl

shitlord
Assuming that it is truly only about winning, you only support my argument.
That's great and all if you're only talking Chicago. Of the current playoff qualifying teams, the East has an average of 11.125 wins per team. The West.. a whopping 10.25. Without Chicago, that differential would be far larger. Sorry, the stats prove it. East is superior.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's great and all if you're only talking Chicago. Of the current playoff qualifying teams, the East has an average of 11.125 wins per team. The West.. a whopping 10.25. Without Chicago, that differential would be far larger. Sorry, the stats prove it. East is superior.
That only proves that the west has more parity, and thusly is more difficult to play in. Sorry, the west is superior! *meme of righteousness*

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
TBH, it's all a moot argument anyways. I think we should all come together, east haters and west haters, and just all loathe the caps.

I so fucking agree with this.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
How does that even make any sense when this season East teams are only playing East teams and West teams are only playing West teams? Since the # of games for all season is the same for every team, it means they are all zero sum situations, i.e. the only time this number changes is based on how many total games were played in each conference so far, meaning by the time the season is over, that worthless "average wins per team" statistic will be identical for each conference.

Here let me show you how it works:

Lets say there are 4 teams in each conference (2 confs), each having a 10 game season for a total of 20 games a season in each conference, aka 40 games in entire season for the league

Conference A: All 4 teams have a 5-5 record
Conference B: Two teams have a 4-1 record, and 2 teams have a 1-4 record.

Given that each team plays only within its conference, whats the average # wins per team in each conference?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

Sure, we can do that. As soon as you admit that you dont know WTF you're talking about.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Who gives a shit about records and systems?
obviously not people with less than stellar records.

It's about winning.
like 16-0-3?

I'm sorry, but the Chicago "record" really isn't all that impressive. The OTL bullshit makes that record fabricated. They lost their 7th game.
Oh? back in the day it would just be a tie if shootouts werent mandatory these days.

They're good and all, but we've still got a very small sample size. We will see what happens in the long term.
19 games isnt enough of a sample size for you? how many do you need?

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Why would I spend my time hating a team that has never done anything ever? And by the looks of it won't any time soon.

I mean the high water mark of the franchise was having the privlege of being swept in the cup finals by the red wings.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Don't know what I'm talking about? Ree-eee-eee-lly?

Come on, you can not tell me you think the conferences as they are (And even as they will be) make it so competition is completely fair. Some teams will always have fewer obstacles, no matter what, when it comes to being a hotshot in their division or conference. Are you really going to use an abbreviated season, against the likes of the sharks and preds to proclaim from on high that YOU ARE THE GREATEST EVER, RAWR?

I think Chicago is a fine team. But do I think the west conference is good overall? Do I think, if they went up against the east more often, that their records would be as they are? Fuck no.

Even considering that you're a biased fan, the thing I hear the most often out here on the west coast is how they wish their teams got to go up against the big baddies, especially since this season is so fucked.

Why would I spend my time hating a team that has never done anything ever? And by the looks of it won't any time soon.
Aww. =(

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dude, ovechkin is going to score 60 goals, and Mike Green is never ever going to be injured again. Ever. Oh, and Holtby is the second coming of Da jesus(whom nobody fucks with).