NHL 2012-13 - Half Season Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
To be clear, if he had a Caps/Flyers jersey on I'd be calling for his head. Because fuck those guys.
Hahaha...just like I call for his head nightly cause he's wearing a Pens jersey. Although that applies to the Flyers as well. Realignment better happen next year. Even if we still suck I want the fuck out of the Southeast and get back all our old Patrick division rivals.

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Matt Cooke taking people out again.

Goes to slew foot Karlsson into the boards and probably slices Karlsson's achilles in two. Scumbag.
I know everybody else here has already told you that's not a slewfoot, but I wanted a chance to post a video what an actual slewfoot is. Watch the video, not only do you get to see what a slewfoot looks like, but you get to see Brayden Schenn get fucking wrecked by Kovalchuk. Zac Rinaldo slewfooted Parise last season, but Schenn paid the price.

Stosh

Hahaha...just like I call for his head nightly cause he's wearing a Pens jersey. Although that applies to the Flyers as well. Realignment better happen next year. Even if we still suck I want the fuck out of the Southeast and get back all our old Patrick division rivals.
Sorry to double post, but to add to this comment, they need to go back to the old division names as well. Fuck this East and West conference and Pacific and Atlantic division shit. Bring back the great, old division names. And here's a crazy Patrick Division fact: the Calgary Flames were in the Patrick Division for an entire season.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
any undefeated teams left in the NHL? i havent checked in a day or two

Merrith

Sorry to double post, but to add to this comment, they need to go back to the old division names as well. Fuck this East and West conference and Pacific and Atlantic division shit. Bring back the great, old division names. And here's a crazy Patrick Division fact: the Calgary Flames were in the Patrick Division for an entire season.
Agreed, although I think we should feel bad they want to put the old Patrick division back together so much and give Detroit/Dallas/I guess Columbus too what they want, that Boston/Montreal/Toronto getting stuck with the Florida teams is pretty sad.

Sparko

Silver Knight of the Realm
All this talk of dirty players reminded me of my favorite goaltender of all time. Not only was Hextall a talented goaltender, dude did not take any shit from anyone lol.

Stosh

Agreed, although I think we should feel bad they want to put the old Patrick division back together so much and give Detroit/Dallas/I guess Columbus too what they want, that Boston/Montreal/Toronto getting stuck with the Florida teams is pretty sad.
That's why they should relocate those Florida teams to Canada. Put one back in Quebec where a team belongs, and the other in Toronto or even back in Hartford and you have a good Montreal/Boston/Quebec/Hartford/Toronto/Buffalo Adams-like division.

Sparko

Silver Knight of the Realm
That's why they should relocate those Florida teams to Canada. Put one back in Quebec where a team belongs, and the other in Toronto or even back in Hartford and you have a good Montreal/Boston/Quebec/Hartford/Toronto/Buffalo Adams-like division.
You seem to forget why those teams left Quebec and Hartford.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don't know too much about how Hartford would perform as a hockey market, but the situation in Quebec now is a lot different than when they left. The Canadian dollar is at or near par and will remain so, they have a brand new arena being built as we speak, and they're a hockey mad market with an established team loyalty (Nordiques). Quebec is at least as good of a market as Winnipeg economics/population wise, and probably a bit better given that their arena will be significantly larger and they can expect to suck on the government titty to a greater extent.

The Nordiques left because the loonie was at 70 cents, they had an ancient shithole of an arena with no prospect of new one on the horizon, and no one was interested in buying the team. All three of those factors are the complete opposite now. That said, I still think it's more likely we see an expansion there in 2 years than a team relocate. The NHL wants to get to 32 teams, and likely so does the PA.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Got tickets for the Oilers/Hawks game on 2/25

Can't wait till we roll over the Edmonton Eomers

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Got tickets for the Oilers/Hawks game on 2/25

Can't wait till we roll over the Edmonton Eomers
Might want to check the scores from last year, broski.

6-3 Hawks
9-2 Oil
4-3 Oil
8-4 Oil

Regardless of the result, should be an exciting game. Two of the NHL's fastest and most skilled teams.

I must say I'm a little disappointed how the Oil are doing this year. I wasn't expecting them to do a whole lot better than they are, but I was expecting our D to be a lot better than it has been. Whitney has been fucking awful, and is now a 6/7 defenseman. Smid/Petry are playing decent, but not nearly as well as they did last year. Justin Schultz is the real deal (thanks again Anaheim!), but still has some adjusting to do. Nick Schultz has been decent. Fistric and Potter are very different players, but both have a lot of shortcomings to go with their upsides.

Forwards wise, only about half of our top six is performing as they should (Hall, Gagner, Hemsky) while the other half (Eberle, RNH, Yakupov) are either underperforming, injured, or going through a steep learning curve respectively. Our bottom 6 has been pretty bad, with no secondary scoring. Hopefully getting Ryan Jones back will help in that regard. Ryan Smyth's career looks to be pretty much over, Belanger has zero offensive ability, Paajarvi and Hartikanen are looking better by the game, Petrell seems to be a pretty decent 4th liner, Eager is still an idiot with tantalizing ability/skating. It doesn't help that at one point we had 4 of our top 5 centres injured, and are weak there to begin with.

Dubnyk has been fucking awesome so far, quieting the critics that said he wasn't going to be a #1 goalie.

Hopefully we can turn things around and squeak in to the playoffs. At the beginning of the year I'd have thought it was 50/50 if we managed it, and I think it's still about the same. A couple hot streaks is all it takes to get in, or a couple cold streaks for the opposite.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Might want to check the scores from last year, broski.

6-3 Hawks
9-2 Oil
4-3 Oil
8-4 Oil

Regardless of the result, should be an exciting game. Two of the NHL's fastest and most skilled teams.

I must say I'm a little disappointed how the Oil are doing this year. I wasn't expecting them to do a whole lot better than they are, but I was expecting our D to be a lot better than it has been. Whitney has been fucking awful, and is now a 6/7 defenseman. Smid/Petry are playing decent, but not nearly as well as they did last year. Justin Schultz is the real deal (thanks again Anaheim!), but still has some adjusting to do. Nick Schultz has been decent. Fistric and Potter are very different players, but both have a lot of shortcomings to go with their upsides.

Forwards wise, only about half of our top six is performing as they should (Hall, Gagner, Hemsky) while the other half (Eberle, RNH, Yakupov) are either underperforming, injured, or going through a steep learning curve respectively. Our bottom 6 has been pretty bad, with no secondary scoring. Hopefully getting Ryan Jones back will help in that regard. Ryan Smyth's career looks to be pretty much over, Belanger has zero offensive ability, Paajarvi and Hartikanen are looking better by the game, Petrell seems to be a pretty decent 4th liner, Eager is still an idiot with tantalizing ability/skating. It doesn't help that at one point we had 4 of our top 5 centres injured, and are weak there to begin with.

Dubnyk has been fucking awesome so far, quieting the critics that said he wasn't going to be a #1 goalie.

Hopefully we can turn things around and squeak in to the playoffs. At the beginning of the year I'd have thought it was 50/50 if we managed it, and I think it's still about the same. A couple hot streaks is all it takes to get in, or a couple cold streaks for the opposite.
Might want to check this year's standings
wink.png

10-0-3 vs. 5-5-3

Methodical_sl

shitlord
Seriously 0ttawa?
While Ottawa fans are expected to crowd into Toronto's Air Canada Centre to cheer on their team this weekend, it turns out Leafs Nation is being warned it's not welcome to wave the blue and white flag at Scotiabank Place when the rivals face off again in Ottawa a week later.
The Senators have sent an email to season ticket holders, telling them not to resell their seats to fans of rival teams -- meaning, it seems, the Leafs.
In its "Take Back the Bank" promotion, the Senators are offering season ticket holders a chance to buy extra tickets to home games against the Leafs at a 20 per cent discount -- provided the seats are filled by Senators fans only.

Road Trip Saturday !!

Juvarisx

Florida
The difference here is Ottawa is incapable of selling out that arena unless its full of the opposing teams fans

Merrith

Thing is with their current 4 "conferences" realignment format, 2 of the 4 have 8 teams and 2 have 7...which makes it seem pretty obvious they'll be thinking of 2 more expansion teams in the semi-near future. Quebec/2nd Toronto area team/Seattle keep getting tossed around. It was pathetic to see how many fans Panthers drew against us the other night, defending division champs can't even sell out their building.

Stosh

No, I didn't. Eomer already covered Quebec, and Hartford was given the "Major League" treatment.

As far as expansion goes, I'm sure the NHL and the PA want it, but as a fan I sure don't. I'm not interested in seeing the league diluted with another 40 fourth line forwards and third pair defensemen.

Methodical_sl

shitlord
I just read an NBA team put in a request to move to Seattle, that would bode well for them.Two pro teams sharing an arena would be financially better off I would assume.Toronto (Markam) arena is lame as can be. NHL,NBA, MLB,AHL,Soccer,Canadian Football are all downtown,within a few blocks of each other(ACC, Skydome,BMO field, Ricoh Coliseum) because they are accessible from the highway,walking distance to the subways,buses and streetcars.
Markam is nowhere land in Toronto.

have i already missed Pitts fans defending that Cooke didn't intend to do something malicious with his skate?