NHL 2012-13 - Half Season Thread

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I expect a win in 5/6 for Detroit, but I'm not sure how I feel about 2nd round vs anyone. They have been playing really well after that disaster streak. So maybe they could make a run, but either way the streak is alive and that is fine by me.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thank god The Sharks lost. I so did not want to play The Blues in the first round.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jame Neal played today BTW. Put up a hat trick, whatevs. No big.

So this postponed Boston/Ottawa game tomorrow determines who wins the NE and thus the 2 seed, AND who will be 7th/8th. Boston wins and they get the NE and the #2 and play the Isles. Ottawa stays 8th and gets the Pens. Ottawa wins and they jump up to 7th and get Montreal and Boston stays 4th and gets Toronto.

Makes the game feel pretty fuckin' big. Pulling for Ottawa, think I'd rather the Pens face the Islanders, just a more fun series. Not especially scared of either team as far as winning the series goes, assuming good Fleury shows up.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Slaythe_sl said:
I didn't get to watch the EDM game but how did the first 3 goals go down? I know they pulled Backstrom right after. Pretty random game from him.
If I remember right, first one was a one timer slap shot from the point by Corey Potter. It was along the ice and didn't look overly hard, so he probably should have had it. Second was Hall's goal, in which he and Yakupov turned it over along the boards and he stepped out and wired a shot between Suter's legs top shelf from just below the faceoff dot. Backstrom was too deep in his net, but still, that was a hell of a shot. Third was Potter again; Eberle fed him pinching in to the slot with no one covering him, and he was able to again put it top shelf glove side even though Backstrom didn't leave him much room.

I don't think Backstrom was really at fault other than the first goal. It was just one of those games where the Oilers only had a few shots in the first period, five I think, but most of them were grade-A chances. And the Oilers have half a dozen guys who when given the chance, can beat just about any goalie in the league. Look what they did to Luongo last night, who was actually having a very, very good game until the last 10 minutes of the game and then bam, 5 goals in 3 minutes.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It should be a good series.
The rangers have looked pretty good since the trades they made, and henrik has played some good dames lately.
Looking forward to it.
Heard a rumor Clowe was hurt, no other details though. I think it'll be a good series, I just don't know which Caps team to expect...and frankly the secondary scoring has been real hit or miss of late. Ovechkin, Green, and the PP have been carrying us.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Heard a rumor Clowe was hurt, no other details though. I think it'll be a good series, I just don't know which Caps team to expect...and frankly the secondary scoring has been real hit or miss of late. Ovechkin, Green, and the PP have been carrying us.
He took an elbow to the face I think and looked pretty dazed after the hit before being helped to the locker room so i'm guessing concussion. Also missing Boyle which is a shame, he adds alot along the boards especially.

Bane_sl

shitlord
Jame Neal played today BTW. Put up a hat trick, whatevs. No big.

So this postponed Boston/Ottawa game tomorrow determines who wins the NE and thus the 2 seed, AND who will be 7th/8th. Boston wins and they get the NE and the #2 and play the Isles. Ottawa stays 8th and gets the Pens. Ottawa wins and they jump up to 7th and get Montreal and Boston stays 4th and gets Toronto.

Makes the game feel pretty fuckin' big. Pulling for Ottawa, think I'd rather the Pens face the Islanders, just a more fun series. Not especially scared of either team as far as winning the series goes, assuming good Fleury shows up.
Bruins win 4-1, take second and then lose in first round to Islanders. Calling it.

Merrith

He took an elbow to the face I think and looked pretty dazed after the hit before being helped to the locker room so i'm guessing concussion. Also missing Boyle which is a shame, he adds alot along the boards especially.
Brooks Laich reportedly had sports hernia surgery earlier this month, I doubt he's back unless we make a deep run. I think it's similar to what Green had done last year. Joel Ward has also been hurt, not sure what his timetable in. No other meaningful injuries for us as far as I know, since who gives a shit about Tom Poti.

Merrith

East

(1)Pittsburghv. (8) NY Islanders - Pens in 6 (was going to say 5, but Pens won't be at full strength).
(2)Montrealv. (7) Ottawa - Montreal in 7. I expect a weird series.
(3)Washingtonv. (6) NY Rangers - Caps in 6. Homer pick, I believe in Oates and Ovechkin.
(4)Bostonv. (5) Toronto - Bruins in 6. Toronto will be a game opponent, but not have enough.

West

(1)Chicagov. (8) Minnesota - 'Hawks in 5. Only cause I think it would be fucked up to predict a sweep.
(2)Anaheimv. (7) Detroit - Ducks in 7. Wings will fight hard, and Boudreau just loves 7 game sereis.
(3) Vancouver v. (6)San Jose- Sharks in 6. Just a gut feeling.
(4) St. Louis v. (5)Los Angeles- Kings in 7, I expect a great series with lots of OT games.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Not going to bother picking number of games, just the winners:

East

(1)Pittsburghv. (8) NY Islanders
(2)Montrealv. (7) Ottawa
(3) Washington v. (6)NY Rangers
(4) Boston v. (5)Toronto

West

(1)Chicagov. (8) Minnesota
(2)Anaheimv. (7) Detroit
(3)Vancouverv. (6) San Jose
(4) St. Louis v. (5)Los Angeles

I have very little confidence in most of those picks, however. It's so close these days, all it takes is an injury or two, or a goalie/player getting hot at the right time. I can't believe I'm picking Toronto, but for some reason I just have a hunch that they'll surprise the Bruins.

Merrith

I'd love to see Toronto pull it off, believe me. I just think the Bruins are a better team and not sure how Reimer will hold up.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Basically, I have the top seed winning every series except the Capitals/Rangers series. I'm not sold on Capitals as a fundamentally solid team and think they just caught fire towards the end by being lucky in some key games and by beating up on a lot of ECF bottom feeders. Their seeding is also deceptively high given that there isn't a single other team in the division that is above .500 aside from the Jets. I think they will unravel in first round.

Merrith

Basically, I have the top seed winning every series except the Capitals/Rangers series. I'm not sold on Capitals as a fundamentally solid team and think they just caught fire towards the end by being lucky in some key games and by beating up on a lot of ECF bottom feeders. Their seeding is also deceptively high given that there isn't a single other team in the division that is above .500 aside from the Jets. I think they will unravel in first round.
Everyone uses that excuse that we only beat up on the Southeast, yet down the stretch we beat Montreal twice, Toronto, and Boston.

Also fun fact, Caps played 18 games against the Southeast while the rest of the East played...15 games against the Southeast.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Everyone uses that excuse that we only beat up on the Southeast, yet down the stretch we beat Montreal twice, Toronto, and Boston.

Also fun fact, Caps played 18 games against the Southeast while the rest of the East played...15 games against the Southeast.
So what you're saying is that Caps played 18 games against the crappiest division in the NHL. Given that Seeds #4-8 are within 2 points of the final season standings from the Caps, it amuses me that Seed #3 would literally be struggling to get into playoffs at all, even if they lost just one game.