NHL 2012-13 - Half Season Thread

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If they decertify the season is lost, 100%.
Well yeah, that is a given. I'm saying that the consequences of that are almost impossible to predict. Replacement players, new leagues springing up, clubs folding, and so on are all in the cards if the players decertify.

Killswitch

N00b
I already put it in my head the season was lost. I fucking knew this shit would happen and not happy about it. Doesn't matter anyways because in the end I still wont be able to afford to take my family to a hockey game here in Chicago. Only thing I can hope is that it kills the majority of people that go to the games usually and drives tickets down. Its ok I don't mind taking the 2 hour trip to spend the money on our AHL team.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I think the NHL is the only sport that is dysfunctional enough that the players will go beyond just decertifying as a bargaining tactic.
Wonder if it has anything to do with most NHL players barely graduating high school, vs. most other pro athletes in North America being (ostensibly) college educated? Some of the comments you hear from the players make you wonder how fucking stupid they are.

Filwen_sl

shitlord
Wonder if it has anything to do with most NHL players barely graduating high school, vs. most other pro athletes in North America being (ostensibly) college educated? Some of the comments you hear from the players make you wonder how fucking stupid they are.
This seems like a sneaky Canada bash! Is that you, Ryan Lambert?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
This seems like a sneaky Canada bash! Is that you, Ryan Lambert?
Not a bash at all, it's just a fact that the Canadian youth hockey system pretty much yanks kids out of school and from their parent's homes at 15 or 16. Even if major junior teams make a big deal about ensuring all their kids finish high school and such, most of them are not exactly excelling in academics. I had half a dozen classes with Jamie Lundmark in grade 10, and dude was dumb as fuck. Mike Comrie was a year older, and from what I know he was actually pretty smart, went to college for a couple years etc. His bro Paul was as well. But they're the exception, not the rule.

Filwen_sl

shitlord
Not a bash at all, it's just a fact that the Canadian youth hockey system pretty much yanks kids out of school and from their parent's homes at 15 or 16. Even if major junior teams make a big deal about ensuring all their kids finish high school and such, most of them are not exactly excelling in academics. I had half a dozen classes with Jamie Lundmark in grade 10, and dude was dumb as fuck. Mike Comrie was a year older, and from what I know he was actually pretty smart, went to college for a couple years etc. His bro Paul was as well. But they're the exception, not the rule.
Yea, I was just joking because the yahoo hockey writer Ryan Lambert loves to bash the Canadian hockey culture when it comes to the lack of education at the high school and college age levels.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
No urgency now because they are going to court. The court decision will really determine how the whole things progresses from here.
No, they aren't. Again, the court cases are mostly posturing. It would take a year or two for the legal argument to be settled, and neither side wants to wait that long. It would result in probably half a dozen teams folding, and that means 140 less players. I hope they're not that stupid. But who knows at this point.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
It puts more pressure on both sides to figure things out between themselves before they roll the dice and let the courts do it for them. I agree it doesn't make any sense, but not much of this sordid affair does.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hockey?s Wealth Redistribution Problem: What?s Really Behind The NHL Lockout

Good article by Time.

You may not have noticed that the NHL hasn?t started its season yet, which is arguably Problem #1 for the wannabe major league: Ice hockey is fourth in a three-horse race of pro team sports vying for the affection of casual U.S. fans. Problem #1A is the lockout of players that?s been in force since Sept. 15, which has resulted in the cancellation of nearly 550 regular-season games to date. But in the event you are following the inaction rinkside, don?t be fooled when league officials or anyone else claims that the main issue is greedy players. The real problem in hockey is not in the locker room, but in the owners? suites and commissioner?s office.

The NHL would like you to believe that owners give too much money to players. That was management?s position almost a decade ago?the last time the league locked out its talent?when players were getting three-quarters of total revenues. After an entire season was voided, the NHL Players Association caved, agreeing to lower its members? share of revenue to 57%. Peace and harmony have ensued since, but now the owners want an even bigger piece of the pie, claiming financial hardship.

Don?t believe them, not for a minute. First, as I?ve written about before, sports team accounting is misleading at best, given that club owners can claim to be losing money when a) the losses are on paper only; b) there are tax benefits from whatever losses happen to be real; and c) the value of their teams continue to rise.
And all NHL owners would be wise to recognize their own culpability ASAP, rather than engaging in more legal maneuvering. (At the moment, the league is busy filing lawsuits and complaints, while the NHLPA is trying to decertify itself, so players can sue owners for anti-trust violations.) The urgency is not because NHL fans will give up on the sport; hockey fans are absolute gluttons for abuse and incredibly desperate to watch pro hockey. (Seriously, check this out.) No, NHL owners should get their act together because their league faces something none of the other major sports do: Russia?s KHL, an aggressive and surly rival league that has long resented how many European players in general and Russians in particular choose to play in North America rather than staying on their home continent. The KHL?s finances, like most things Russian, are a little murky, so it?s hard to know if the league could seriously compete with the NHL for top talent in the long run. But a surprisingly large number of iced NHLers are now playing in the KHL while they wait out the lockout, including a lot of North Americans.
I fear the KHL might gain some traction too and I would hate for that to happen. I'm surprised the league hasn't entertained any European expansion(or move some failing franchises) to try and thwart the KHL a little. Put a team in London, Paris, and a couple other big European cities. I think you would have better shot of hockey catching on there than in the US South. Yes, those European cities aren't hotbeds for hockey but it can't fail any worse than the failure of the Southern expansion. I'm not sure how they would work out a schedule with European teams in the league. That would be a nightmare to schedule and might be too much to overcome.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I think long term what's more likely is for the KHL to evolve in to a pan-European league, and then perhaps there could be play between the two leagues. But that won't happen so long as Russia and the KHL remain corrupt as shit.

As far as the Time article goes, that's exactly what I said several times on the FOH boards. Without significantly more revenue sharing, it's simply not possible to have a cap system work properly for the bottom third of teams. Even if they only spend to the floor they're barely going to be able to break even. There's too wide of a gap between the top and bottom teams, and hoping for a cap based upon the lowest common denominator is both unrealistic and likely to lead to teams like the Leafs making 100 million a year.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Dude, the season is lost. I have zero faith they're going to get it together in time. And, at this point, what would it be, a 30 game season?
If they have a deal by early to mid January, a 48 game season is still possible. January 15 is the drop dead date.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If they have a deal by early to mid January, a 48 game season is still possible. January 15 is the drop dead date.
I'll cling to the hope they can still pull off a deal until they actually cancel the season, but my optimism for it is about down to nil at this point.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I've been optimistic since the start, or in other words wrong. I still have a hard time fathoming both sides being idiotic enough to piss away the entire season. But I guess we'll see.