NHL 2012-13 - Half Season Thread

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Last year I started to get some of my non hockey fan friends into the NHL (particularly once the playoffs started). I think the NHL was making real progress towards gaining some traction in the American psyche; I fear this will undo a lot of that. They are doing crazy damage to their brand. No way the guys I got watching last year are going to be interested again in the near future.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
48 game regular season would be pretty interesting. Wouldn't the majority of the games be against teams in your own division? I don't believe they'll get a deal done.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
48 game regular season would be pretty interesting. Wouldn't the majority of the games be against teams in your own division? I don't believe they'll get a deal done.
Yeah, it would be conference only and pretty much a game every second night. It would be a sprint instead of a marathon. Might make for pretty good regular season hockey for once, because every game matters.

Like I said, I don't think they're stupid enough to piss away the season. But half of me kind of wants to, just to see what will happen. Half a dozen teams will fold, Bettman will get his ass fired, contracts might get invalidated, no one really knows.

Filwen_sl

shitlord
Yeah, it would be conference only and pretty much a game every second night. It would be a sprint instead of a marathon. Might make for pretty good regular season hockey for once, because every game matters.

Like I said, I don't think they're stupid enough to piss away the season. But half of me kind of wants to, just to see what will happen. Half a dozen teams will fold, Bettman will get his ass fired, contracts might get invalidated, no one really knows.
I don't think they settle until the absolute last minute. Both sides are wanting concessions with no real motivation at this point to settle. If there is a hard deadline there will be much more urgency on both sides to get something done. Or that is at least my hope at this point and is based on nothing.

Filwen_sl

shitlord
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/87...er-source-says

This provides me with hope. I think it is a good deal for the players, although I don't see any mention of where they are on the salary cap. If the NHL kept their proposed salary cap of like $60m, then there is no way the players will accept this outright, but it does show the NHL is willing to compromise.

Does anyone else find it mildly funny in a weird way that we have the fiscal cliff negotiations and the NHL lockout negotiations going on at the same time and seem to take the same trajectory? I think we'll ultimately get a deal done for both, but it won't come until the very last minute.

Araxen

Old but I found it funny. He's going to be doing nights on the new CBS Sports Radio lineup without the strong language.

Sparko

Silver Knight of the Realm
They need to get this shit taken care of soon. The NFL will be over in a month, I don't follow basketball so the NHL was my goto sport until the NFL starts up again.

Bane_sl

shitlord
It's always darkest before the dawn..

I'm betting they get a deal done. Employees in Boston were told to "be ready to report" by management according to some Twitter reports. They're close, but they have a week still as said above. Deal done by 1/11' training camp until the 19th, first game on Jan 25th, 48-game season. That's my prediction.

Araxen

Might see a deal this week. Both sides are getting close apparently.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
How many times over the past two lockouts have we heard that exact line? I'll believe it when I see it, until then I'll remain pessimistic.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
They have a hard deadline of next Friday. Again, I don't think either side is stupid enough to go over the cliff, but yeah, I'm not going to celebrate until the ink is dry.

Really curious to see how the Oilers will do out of the gate. All of our best players are in mid-season form, and have been playing really well. Only exception is the goalie Dubnyk, but he looked extremely sharp in the Spengler Cup, although that was only 3 games. Gonna be interesting to see if Schultz can translate his ridiculous AHL scoring to the NHL. He's been fucking unreal, going almost point for point with Eberle, who has played two season in the NHL and is a forward. RNH had a pretty damn good WJC, as did Yakupov, and Hall is playing like a monster now.

Getting wood thinking about it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I don't think either side is stupid enough to go over the cliff
Yeah. I completely believe they are that stupid. And it will forever kill viewership in the USA. And someone stick a broomstick up everyone who is involved's ass, because they don't give a damn about the fans.

Bunch of ass munches.