NHL 2013 - 2014 Season Thread

Nutron_sl

shitlord
So, thoughts on the huge Canadian TV deal? That deal alone is enough to raise the salary cap by about 3-5 million. I'm not thrilled about it personally, because TSN is mostly getting shut out and Rogers/Sportsnet is fucking atrocious by comparison. Their on-air people are almost all terrible (WHY THE FUCK DOES BRAD MAY HAVE A JOB?), their production values are horrid, and Nick Kypreos is a fucking moron who takes himself way the fuck too seriously. Obviously there'll be a game of musical chairs over the next year or two as Sportsnet poaches TSN's talent, but I'd have much preferred that it went to TSN.
Yeah I'm kinda torn about it,dont know too much about the english side of it since I'm a dirty frenchman, but for the french side, all the weekend games and series are now gonna be on free tv (tva) for quebec at least meaning no more need for rds and probbly better ratings and people following hockey. But it's basicaly just as you mentioned for the french side, RDS was finaly doing a fine job with a well oiled team/production, whereas TVA was atrocious for the few games I watched of them covering the senators...

I watched a lot of the habs games on saturday on CBC in english, hopefuly they manage to retain rights for english broadcasting.

As for hockey as a whole, my thoughts are positive globaly... Much like grimm mentions, it's nice to see big investments like that in hockey giving us hope it can keep moving forward as it has past few years.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I agree that the influx of money is on the face a good thing. But it might actually hurt some of the threshold teams by raising the cap and floor further, although I would think that is more than offset by the extra revenue.

Nice to see MA Fleury up to his usual tricks tonight!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nice to see MA Fleury up to his usual tricks tonight!
I missed most of the game but tuned in just in time to see Geno tie it up. Let's see if they can follow up this time.

edit:Yay Zatkoff=) Facing the Pens in a shootout must be annoying for goalies. Though really almost every team has some pretty nasty shootout guys. You hear about some of the lesser known guys being crazy good at shootouts in practice.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thank god SJ pulled this one out. Typical fucking LA goonery and bad officiating but it was an intense game nonetheless. This is THE rivalry within the league at the moment. There are better teams but whenever these two play each other it's always a highly entertaining game.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Thank god SJ pulled this one out. Typical fucking LA goonery and bad officiating but it was an intense game nonetheless. This is THE rivalry within the league at the moment. There are better teams but whenever these two play each other it's always a highly entertaining game.
Kings should have won this one in regulation imo. That shootout was crazy.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OT GWG through the skatehole.

oPtXtas.gif

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I want to murder the guy in Dallas behind the Oiler's net last night that banged on the glass incessantly the entire game. What the fuck is wrong with you? And where did you get that awful blazer?

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Phew, Lundqvist finally getting his contract extended. 7 years 59.5 mill.

So much for taking negotiations off the table during the season so "all his focus can be applied to winning games". Between this and getting benched two games back to back, hopefully he has a fire lit and starts blanking fools again.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
That seems like too much term and money for a goalie who might only have another 2-3 really excellent years left in him, but he's so damn handsome I just can't hold it against him.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
7 years is crazy but not suprising. Especially after Rask's 8 year 56 mill contract in July. Rask was amazing last season but that seemed a huge gamble to me. He has looked fantastic the few bruins games I have watched so far so I guess it might pay off, but dayum.

It was no secret Lundy wanted to retire a Ranger and there was no way Sather could let him go. Just glad it is over and done with.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
7 years is crazy but not suprising. Especially after Rask's 8 year 56 mill contract in July. Rask was amazing last season but that seemed a huge gamble to me. He has looked fantastic the few bruins games I have watched so far so I guess it might pay off, but dayum.

It was no secret Lundy wanted to retire a Ranger and there was no way Sather could let him go. Just glad it is over and done with.
Keep in mind that Rask is 26, Lundqvist is 31. Goalies fall of extremely rapidly after 34/35ish if their name isn't Roy, Belfour or Hasek. Then again, the cap is going to be increasing rapidly again, so maybe it won't look so bad in a few years.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just in case some of you forgot that Sidney Crosby is the best player in the world.

Crosby.gif

Yeah, that's an OT takeaway 1 on 3 game winning goal.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
That was a nice goal by Sidney, but that goal through the skatehole is just downright insane.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just saw this on Reddit. It's from October.Steve Zahnand his 2 sons at a Blackhawks game.

MhG8fpZ.jpg

That's fucking adorable.

edit: Florida's arena at the start of their game with the Senators the other day.

c3bJ5Ak.png