NHL 2014-15 Season Thread

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Good to see the Canadian media has bashed the Ovechkin is the problem thing into everyone's heads. He's been a concern, but certainly not THE concern.
Grimm...don't be an ass. The East is weak as shit, Caps can easily make playoffs in that shitshow.
Ya, no chance on the Canadian media thing, that shit doesn't get within 1000 miles of LA and anyone that follows hockey or played can see the truth. Fact is, Ovechkin is one dimensional and I don't need a newspaper to tell me that. And if making the playoffs in the worst division in the sport is a victory, I think we need to review our expectations from the start.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ya, no chance on the Canadian media thing, that shit doesn't get within 1000 miles of LA and anyone that follows hockey or played can see the truth. Fact is, Ovechkin is one dimensional and I don't need a newspaper to tell me that. And if making the playoffs in the worst division in the sport is a victory, I think we need to review our expectations from the start.
No one said it would be a victory, just possible. He can be one dimensional and not be THE problem with the Capitals. Two different arguments.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
+/- is still heavily used...
It really isn't. With the recent uptake of analytics in hockey, plus minus has been thrown out. Scoring chance and shot differentials are much more prevalent now, although some of that shit is a bit ridiculous as well. But plus minus has been widely acknowledged to be an extremely flawed stat for years. The only time it gets talked about is with guys who have crazy big minuses, in which case it probably does indicate a problem. But guys who are around even or slightly positive or negative? It means jack shit.

Taylor Hall was -15 last year. Ryan Jones was even. One of those guys is one of the best players in the league, while the other probably won't even be in the NHL this year. How useful can that stat possibly be?

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I don't care about +/- but even if I did. Granlund and Coyle are 22. I can't imagine any hockey fan not understanding the potential those two guys have. Granlund especially.

Also, obviously Haula is our best player.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Granlund is pretty damn small for a first line center in the west. Yeah, this is coming from a guy who cheers for a team with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as it's top center, but even the Nuge has 10-15 lbs, a couple inches, and a shitload of skill on Granlund. Coyle's a big boy, but he doesn't project as being more than a 50 point player on average. He's the same age as Taylor Hall, who has been a point a game player for 4 years already. Haula is also small, and also doesn't have much high end offensive ability. So yeah, I don't see how you think that the Wild's top 9 is any better than average. They've got a couple pretty good pieces in Parise, Vanek and Koivu, but there's some holes there as well.

Fadaar

That guy
Have hopes for the Lightning again this year. If Bishop hadn't gone out 2 games before the playoffs started last year... argh.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Toronto and Columbus are currently the top of the East because they have each played one more game than anyone else. That shall soon change.

le sigh

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
MAGNIFICENT MAZE!!!

gCruJtx.jpg

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
As per the last 10 years, and likely the 10 following years, the Calgary Flames will once again be shit this year.

patrick

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My boy Natty Mac tearing up!

Looking forward to this season. Just hoping the doom and gloom surrounding the Avs is just noise. The offseason moves were rather questionable, but it will still come down to how Varlamov performs.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
That race thing was kind of interesting, I guess. But it wasn't surprising, either. Speed skating isn't about acceleration, it's about top sustained speed. Hamelin would fucking destroy him on a full lap.