NHL 2014-15 Season Thread

Fadaar

That guy
Lightning's only chance at the division is the three games remaining with the Habs. They've beaten them both times they've played so far, including a 7-1 ass beating (that I was there for!) at home. If they can win all three they MIGHT have a prayer of a chance at the division. Team is so fucking horrible on the road that I don't expect them to do much better than .500 the rest of the season. Come playoffs time though as long as they don't play Boston or Pittsburgh I have faith in their chances.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sharks blowing up the third and fourth lines (Desi gone for picks, Shep gone for picks, Kennedy gone for picks). Thank god. Let's make some cap space and get a nice pickup over the summer!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pens traded Bortuzzo to the Blues for Ian Cole. Not bad I guess.

Then they traded Simon Despres to the Ducks for Ben Lovejoy. What the fuck?

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Sathir's desperate for the cup this year. Throwing away more picks than Jimmy Page. Was looking forward to seeing Duclair progress in the league but all in all i'm happy. Got Yandle for two years and signed Zuc another four years. Best of all, once Fast is healthy (real soon), Glass gets the bench thanks to the Shepard deal.

Now if only we could get a do-over on the Dan Boyle trade. Would kill to have Stralman back.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bobby Lu hit in head with a puck, and Montoya dinged up in net for Florida. Panthers goalie coach Robb Tallas is dressed in goalie gear on the bench in case Montoya can't finish the game (although he just gave up a goal to put Leafs up 3-2).

Meanwhile Columbus gooned it up hard to make a game of it tonight, Ovechkin with 2 and Backstrom with 2 helpers. Crazy thing is they're both tied with 416 assists for their careers, both 2 behind Michal Pivonka for most in Caps history.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
JFC, Ovie can't stop/won't stop. Wish Nash had a Backstrom....

Fucking Isles grab a point with 1.1 secs left V. Dallas. Good news is Nashville lost their forth In a row against NJ no less. Surely they are due break that streak and i'm hoping it's Thursday against them Isles. Sets the Rangers up to take the Metro once and for all when they meet next Tuesday.

Merrith

JFC, Ovie can't stop/won't stop. Wish Nash had a Backstrom....

Fucking Isles grab a point with 1.1 secs left V. Dallas. Good news is Nashville lost their forth In a row against NJ no less. Surely they are due break that streak and i'm hoping it's Thursday against them Isles. Sets the Rangers up to take the Metro once and for all when they meet next Tuesday.
Fricking Dallas couldn't hang on for 1.1.

Hell AO even made an Orpik slapper look good by tipping it in to start the scoring. Hope some of that grittership rubbed off or something. It's impossible to gain any ground right now in the Metro for us. 3 games left vs. the Rags though might be our only real ground to make up, but since they still have 3 games in hand on us and the Isles probably just wishful thinking. Will just live with facing one of the NY teams while the other and the Pens beat up on each other...while enjoying Mon/Bos and Tampa/Detroit also in Round 1.

Merrith

They had to sign him to a quick 1 night $500 dollar contract. I thought that was neat.
I know the Caps video guy had to do this as well one night (former college goalie), while waiting for the backup to fly/bus in from Hershey. He got to take warmups and sit on the bench for most of the 1st period. I can only imagine how cool that would be.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
A few posts up but I'm too in awe of the season Price is having. But look at Dubnyk's stats in that image posted. His stats in his 21 games with the Wild are even more insane: 16 wins. 1.65 GAA. .937 Save %. 5 of his 6 shutouts in that stretch.

Not trying to compare that to Price's 51 games. But still really impressive.

Merrith

Makes me sad to see articles like this, and know the Caps are almost assured to be going in as a wildcardWhy Alex Ovechkin is the NHL??Ts most clutch scorer | The Hockey News

Life of a DC sports fan I guess.
You can throw out the game winning goals stat in general though. Like the writer says in the piece, say you score the 2nd goal of a 5-1 beatdown, technically yours is considered the GWG. Probably even slightly less useful than +/- as a general stat. Some of the rest of that article is relevant, but honestly even if we go in at #7 (1st wildcard), not really concerned. Aside from maybe the Rangers (depending on how goalie situation shakes out and if new guys can mesh quickly enough without upsetting chemistry), the East is pretty wide open. Really I think if we can get a little secondary scoring we have the team makeup (along with coach and system) to do some damage this year. Our blueline is better than it's been in a LONG time, and Holtby has been rock solid in goal.

Of course, even if they manage to get out of the 1st round, they'll have to get over that 2nd round hump they haven't been able to do in the Ovechkin era.

Merrith

B_XlbMkU0AAa9hz.jpg

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Wild lucked out tonight. Can't imagine this game would have ended up like this with Ovie playing.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Dudes nails, i'm sure it's minor. Just speaking to the fact that he won't be having yet another multi goal game and only because he isn't playing. If he was, i'm sure he'd have at least one by now with the way he's been playing.