NHL 2015-16 Season Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Curious but too lazy to look it up. How do modern OT/shootout rules effect this? Taking ties out of the equation helps some I'm sure. But it's not like goalies are smashing the Wins record yearly.
It affects it, certainly. Haven't done the math on how much Holtby is helped out by it. If we gave him as many starts as last year, he'd probably be right around the number without the extra help from current OT/shootout rules.

Merrith

Awesome finish there sid, god damn...
It was nice we left him the entire ice. Good lord our #3 D pairing (Schmidt, Orlov) was horrific tonight. Nice to comeback I guess, but OT seemed to follow a trend for us in 3 on 3 lately, generate some chances that we do nothing with, give up one big chance and it ends up in the back of the net.

Merrith

Also, if you liked watching efficient and dangerous PP's...tonight's Caps/Pens game was not the one you should have been watching.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Didn't watch the whole game, switched to it just in time for o.t.

I hate watching efficient and dangerous pp's. HATE 'EM. That's why I watch Ranger games.

Merrith

Didn't watch the whole game, switched to it just in time for o.t.

I hate watching efficient and dangerous pp's. HATE 'EM. That's why I watch Ranger games.
Pretty sure both of our PP's were like 0-4 tonight...including a 5 minute one for the Pens. Plus we gave up a shortie.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pens 39-0 when leading after 2. Noice.

Caps fan reaction.

TROmvCL.jpg

Pens reaction.

swiggity-swooty-gif.gif

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The bruins collapse keeps the wings streak alive. 4 more wings games to watch I guess.

Merrith

Ovechkin joins Bossy and Gretzky as the only guys to score 50+ goals in a season 7+ times.

Merrith

So the Isles and Philly play tomorrow, and oddly enough, Philly has nothing on the line (other than pride I guess?). They're already locked into WC2 and will face the Capitals. Isles and Rags can still flip spots if the Isles win tomorrow (any win, 2 points leapfrogs them over the Rangers). But...if they win, then they have to play Pittsburgh in Round 1. If they lose tomorrow (even in OT/SO), then they remain in the WC1 spot and jump over to the Atlantic bracket to play Florida in Round 1. Obviously the Rags will play Pitt if the Isles lose, and the Panthers if Isles win.

Philly with nothing to play for, and if you believe in the strength of the Penguins the Isles have nothing to win for.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Isles/Sabres was funny to watch. Announcers trying to defend their fanbase by saying there were alot of Sabres fans in Barclays from all the cheering after goals against... Tavares looking so indifferent scoring the tieing goal.. Capuana playing AHL'rs against Eichle and ROR during the 3on3. After the game the camera clipped to Okposo laughing in the hallway to the dressing room, happy as a clam.

They lose tomorrow for sure

Doesn't really matter, Isles won't win either series. Their only chance at advancing was if they played us in the first round and that ship long sailed.

Suck's to have to watch the same playoff matchups. Again. Not really sweating it though. We can take the Pens in 7 and if anyone can soften up the Caps, it's Philly. At least this time after going through hell to get to the ECF, there won't be a monster team standing in the way in the Atlantic.

The new playoff seeding is so bad.

Merrith

Is it really that bad though? Everyone was bitching earlier in the season about the Pacific, and divisions having a team miss out over the #3 team in a weak division...but the top 8 teams in both conferences are the ones that are going to be in the playoffs. I actually really like the divisional format, the only tweak I'd make is the wild card setup. This year you obviously have two strong divisions with Metro and Central that claimed both wild cards in their conferences...but in years were each division claims a wild card and you'd have the top 4 in each division going to the playoffs, they should just lock in each division and not flip the wild cards to the other divisional bracket even if their seeding would normally make them move over.

The only problem I could see with it is in the East, where if you don't give Florida too much credit, Caps and Pens seem clearly a cut above everyone else currently (and with Tampa's rash of injuries), but they could meet no later than Round 2.

Funny enough, if the Isles managed to win today, I could easily see a potential path for the Caps being a revenge tour of the Ovechkin era (minus Montreal). Philly in Round 1, Pittsburgh in Round 2, and a resurgent Rangers after they get through the Atlantic bracket in the ECF. Obviously the big hurdle would be the Pens in Round 2...you know, assuming we don't choke in Round 1.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
So I've been super busy with work and have really not followed the season at all. Big caps fan, they seem to have run away with the President's trophy. Yet, as mentioned, none of the advanced metrics seem to be picking them as anywhere near cup favorites. Are they paper tigers like the last time they won the President's? DC is such a terrible sports town and the caps just get my hopes up every year only to choke their season away, should I maintain my low expectations or what?