Ni No Kuni II

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
A difficulty slider would be good, but I don't know how they'd really do that. Combat to me falls into something like this
- Tainted monster one shots you if you get hit
- Monster does hardly any damage to you, you hardly do any damage to it (usually white trash with +30 levels)
- You spank it back into the abyss

I have a few tainted monsters left to kill and just finished the last dream door with not much else to do. Be kinda fun if you could real time fight other peoples skirmish teams though.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Nearing the end found myself skipping all cut scenes and dialogue. So I quit, kingdom building is interesting but once I saw the last unlocks I was meh and combat is so boring.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Finally slogged through the ending here. It’s not terrible, but it’s not great either. Especially after Persona 5 and Xenoblade 2, this feels like several steps in the wrong direction. Not nearly as charming as part 1 either. Trading this in for GOW

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Just started Chapter 7 on the PC and am having the best time with this game. Wasn't familiar with the series at all and am not the biggest JRPG fan (I think FF X was the last one I played). In 4k its one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen; a Studio Ghibli film come life at m&kb (I know they consulted on the first game and former Ghibli animators worked on this game with L5). The game is mostly easy mode (tell that to me trying to go to bed when the game suddenly and without warning becomes a 3d side scrolling platformer 2 hours after I should have went to bed and a boss battle with no save point in sight) but it works out ok and there are ways of providing yourself challenge if you really want it.

A friend at work who's into Japanese games enough to have a US PS4 and JP PS4 recommended it and I went in totally blind. Best gaming surprise since Crackdown.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Finally got to this on my backlog.

Better than the first one by far. I played on hard difficulty all the way until Chap 8 before I said fuck it and just wanted to finish the game without having to be over leveled or worry about being one shot during combat and honestly wish I played on easy cause the higher difficulties didn't really add shit to the game. I ended up with 98 people recruited to my kingdom and think I did almost all the quests. Tempted to go back and finish the rest, but nothing seems to be worth it in regards to side story or crafting etc. Put in about 40 hours of actual play time and then another 30 of leaving it running while I was working so I could collect KG and such.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Picked this up on PC and have been playing it very heavily. Doing all the DLC now, 58% achievements done, but plan to 100% this game. 80 hours so far but some of that was afk time to build up kingsgilders.

All in all though, very easy game, but very fun too.

It does suffer from something that JRPGs often suffer from though, which is the constant popup dialogs that slow things down (every time you find an item in a chest, basically), and the really awful decision to do this unskipable animation thing every time you want to upgrade a spell/hiddedy, etc. When I realized I had about 200 levels of spells to boost, and it takes about 10 seconds for each level because of the animation, it just grates me that JRPGs always fall victim to this bad UX.

Edit:

If you didn't play the DLC, it's well worth it. It adds several new "modes" to the game, and a lot of the DLC is actually really long and involved, and does things like throwing hoardes of monsters in your face, so that the leveling from 70-120 is much easier than just grinding traditional stuff.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I am with Springbok Springbok on this one. Maybe one day I will revisit it but around chapter 5-6 is when I got tired of the game. I liked the original better by spades than this release.

• 1Solidarity

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I am with Springbok Springbok on this one. Maybe one day I will revisit it but around chapter 5-6 is when I got tired of the game. I liked the original better by spades than this release.

The main issue with the pacing is that of the 190 people or so you talk to to get quests, they are all predictable. They are gonna need you to get something, or slay something, and 90% of the time, they are going to need something else.

The questing was rather unimaginative, but it doesn't bother me. However, I can certainly see that kind of pacing being a big turn off for a lot of people. I think a lot of people complain around chapter 5-6 is when it gets pretty boring. It didn't bore me, but then again I play JRPGs all the time so...

I felt the ending was rather nice, though. It's your typical japanese tropey stuff but it was executed nicely, and the fact they did explain how Roland made it to the world was kinda neat even if the reasoning was tropey.