Ni No Kuni (PS3)

nuday

Golden Squire
Yeah I have them set to do not use abilities and just give them a strong melee/tank familiar or they just burn all their mana using stupid shit like Esters evasion buff.
I really thought I was doing something wrong with the party members. It's good to know that they are just stupid. I wish they would use "defend" every now and then.. seems like every boss battle one of them bites it, I use an (expensive) phoenix feather to bring them back, and then they run in and immediately die again.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah the ai is pretty rough.. I either ignore the other characters and let them die or I spend the whole time healing them.

nuday

Golden Squire
You guys must be using some really shitty familiars on your other members. I never had those problems.
That's another thing. I'll give them a familiar that I had a lot of luck with, and then they'll either immediately retract it or they will never use it in the first place.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It's good to know that they are just stupid. I wish they would use "defend" every now and then..
You realize the "All Out Defense" move will automatically put your other two team mates into defensive, right?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
That's another thing. I'll give them a familiar that I had a lot of luck with, and then they'll either immediately retract it or they will never use it in the first place.
I don't know about Swaine but Esther will opt to use her harp songs if the familiars you give her aren't one of her 3 compatible families, in my experience at least.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't know about Swaine but Esther will opt to use her harp songs if the familiars you give her aren't one of her 3 compatible families, in my experience at least.
How do you find out what her compatible families are?

It's getting a bit better now, it just pisses me off that she'll blow all her MP in 3 fights if you don't rein her in a bit.

Forbin_sl

shitlord
I set both my companions to "don't use abilities" until I get to a boss fight.

The compatible familiars for a character are listed on the familiar screen where you can change their equipment and whatnot.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
You realize the "All Out Defense" move will automatically put your other two team mates into defensive, right?
I'm only about 15 hours in(just got to the port town south of the Al Mammoon) and I've basically done every side-quest/farming up to this point. Is the "All Out Defense" something you have from the beginning of the game or do you gain that at some point? I've hit the square button during fights and it doesn't seem to do shit.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
How do you find out what her compatible families are?
When you switch familiars there are 3 little sprites in the corner that correspond to a monster family. Esther's are Aves, Aquatic, and one other I can't remember - I use her starter (which is awesome), a Grimray (final evolution of a monster you can get after you first get boat), and 3rd slot is usually some other familiar I need a spot for leveling up.

I set both my companions to "don't use abilities" until I get to a boss fight.
I was doing that but there's almost always a Save stone before every major boss so should always be able to refill.

I'm only about 15 hours in(just got to the port town south of the Al Mammoon) and I've basically done every side-quest/farming up to this point. Is the "All Out Defense" something you have from the beginning of the game or do you gain that at some point? I've hit the square button during fights and it doesn't seem to do shit.
You get it very soon, after you get the boat.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Good to know. I just got the boat and let's say my first attempt at that boss pushed my shit in. Gonna grind a little bit before that, hopefully I will become more accustomed to my characters by then and give them the proper familiars

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
The genie was the first boss who actually killed me with that bomb thing he does he goes into the pot. Up until that point, I had not had any trouble with the fights. I'm guessing the bosses get much more difficult.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He killed me with the bomb too, my controller fucked up and Oliver wouldn't defend so I had to beat him with Esther. Actually was so easy when I just kept nuking him and running away. The next boss was pretty hard but I may be under levels and under geared.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I'm level 30 now, farming some Toko's, and at this point I'm ready to call this my favorite RPG on the PS3. This game is fucking great. So addictive and gorgeous.
Yeah me as well.

I bought this because of a recommendation from a Goonn over on SA, and am really happy I did. I am not even a huge fan of JRPG's but they really did a great job on this one. Course now I am stuck battling the genie. What level should I be for this? I am getting my butt kicked in. I am hovering around 16-17 I believe.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I was 22 when I got to the genie and beat it on my 3rd try after getting smacked down by his bomb a couple times.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I was 22 when I got to the genie and beat it on my 3rd try after getting smacked down by his bomb a couple times.
Maybe I should head back and complete some of the side quests from the city first before progressing. I have a good amount of them to do. plus that way I can earn some more money to purchase some food and drink for that fight.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Maybe I should head back and complete some of the side quests from the city first before progressing. I have a good amount of them to do. plus that way I can earn some more money to purchase some food and drink for that fight.
I was at like 19 or so when I beat him and it was pretty tough, I think at your level you just may be too low. This is one of those games I don't really mind grinding because the world is so beautiful.