Nice, France

Morbeas

Silver Squire
Going to Nice this coming July (will be staying at the Le M?ridien Nice for 4 nights, 5 days) with the wife and our 9 month old daughter. I'd like to know if we need to rent a car while there since we plan to visit Monaco and Cannes as well.

Of course any other travel tips/places to see/great food to eat recommendations are also very welcome.

Thanks.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well you dont need to rent one since you could travel by train as well and it would be probably cheaper as well.
But i wouldnt expect them to talk/willing to understand english at the ticket counter.

Neph_sl

shitlord
We stayed there for our honeymoon. The shower was weird as hell. There's just a swinging plate glass door that only covers half of the shower, so you end up getting water everywhere.

We were only there for 3 days, and we didn't rent a car. We took a bus up to Eze, which like a mile up. We didn't go, but I would take a train to Cannes and Monaco, probably easier and quicker than taking a bus. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving around there because the roads can be narrow and wind along cliffsides.

The beach in Nice isn't sandy, by the way, it's mostly rocky. Also, the water was pretty cold so we didn't go in beyond dipping our feet in, and this was in June.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
I wouldn't advise for a car, it will be a hell to park, public transportation should be decent enough.

Morbeas

Silver Squire
Cool, thanks. What's the pickpocketing situation like in and around Nice? Is it as bad as I hear it is in Paris?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Cool, thanks. What's the pickpocketing situation like in and around Nice? Is it as bad as I hear it is in Paris?
Having traveled in Paris a bunch of times and in Rome both with a clueless wife we haven't had an issue with pick pocketing yet. Wear well fitting pants that you can feel your wallet touching your ass and have the wife use a purse with a zipper to shut the top and it solves 90% of your problems looking like an easy target. Don't wear a backpack, just bring exactly what you need only.

Morbeas

Silver Squire
So what should one do when in Nice? Any must-see spots? Also, how are prices in general? I'm assuming a bit on the expensive side.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Monaco is about the most expensive place on earth. Like 10 bux for a cup of coffee would be drop dead cheap.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah, as usual common sense prevails. Thanks.
No worries man and good luck out there. We haven't done that area. A good friend of mine was in Spain this weekend and his girlfriend placed her purse on the back of her chair and it got snatched with an expensive camera and her iphone in it so yeah Europe is bad for it but if you stay aware you will generally be fine.

Morbeas

Silver Squire
No worries man and good luck out there. We haven't done that area. A good friend of mine was in Spain this weekend and his girlfriend placed her purse on the back of her chair and it got snatched with an expensive camera and her iphone in it so yeah Europe is bad for it but if you stay aware you will generally be fine.
Wow, that really sucks.
frown.png

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was only in Nice for 2 days but my brother and I destroyed the street markets. There was one on the way to old Nice that was in a nice shopping area all over the streets. We basically ate cured meats from the street vendors and them buy fresh cheese and bread from the stores around the market. We found a badass comic book shop and some cool clothes stores walking down backstreets.

People were really nice there too, but that maybe was because we make it a point to always not speak English and speak Spanish when we travel.