Nightingale

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Apparently crafting and not taking from local storage is a bug that they've been trying to fix and its supposed to be a launch feature, so that's good news.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Alright, so early impressions.

I'm not far into it at all, I just got to the second tier of gear so bare in mind this is an extremely limited view of how things work so far.

As much as it pains me to day, as of this moment, the game is underwhelming. The world is pretty but it feels empty for a world that also has quests, NPC's and other things. In the biomes there are just a few different types of enemies (like, 2) and spawn rates from them are absurd. You fight actual mobs in gear check (gear score) locked places of interest and combat is not fluid, its not innovative and its pretty bland. Mind you, I'm swinging a maul and have a marble shooting cross bow so nothing too crazy and from the sounds fo it there is some tech later that is pretty cool, but there's not much here that grabs you right away. Also there's a delay between swing/hits/damage that is a little frustrating. There so far are 4 different mobs, regular mummy looking guy, a silent hill looking guy (not the head but sword arms), a caster and aguy that walks on all fours and has a red light on his head (because red lights are cool I guess).

Crafting is okay, no queue'ing which is tiresome. There's not a lot of hand holding, but if you play survival games you pick up on stuff quick. I haven't seen light sources other than fire pits, which is frustrating, I hope they are in the next tier.

I got a graphic bug a lot that made it hard to see, every time you restart it puts you back to where you spawn (your bed) which is annoying when you have to restart often.

Thus far, the element I was most excited about (steam punk) is very minimal, hopefully further in the game it really picks up. With the exceptions of some floating structures, and a couple small ruins, its like any other generic survival world.

All in all, the game was entertaining enough to keep me coming back, but if it remains this way long term, I'll be pretty disappointed. It is early Alpha and there's a lot of work to do and the devs are super responsive in both the forums and in discord. As of now, I'll still get it, but if you're looking for something ground shattering from the very beginning, you'll be disappointed.

Edit: fixed typos from typing on my phone

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Test next week, opt in on Steam.

Recent IGN impressions:

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Test next week, opt in on Steam.

Recent IGN impressions:

I can't wait. I've had this game on my radar since 2021.

The idea of "realms" is great in a survival game. The genre has been shitting out banger after banger so far this year.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Test is live, servers holding up, now extended to 6pm PST.

Stress test tips:

Something about the UI is kinda offputting, but not sure what. Has a feel to it that is partly what made me not interested in Ark, Atlas, etc. Not sure if it's the fonts or what. Dumb thing to get hung up on but is one of the reasons I don't play those games for some stupid reason.

Also wasn't really interested in starting 'as if im 10 hours in' and would have rather had the new player experience, but perhaps that's not ready.

We'll see if I have time to get into it a bit later.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Had a chance to play for a couple hours on the stress test. First time in and playing. And the Stress Test realm/server setups didn't have the starter tutorial so I had to figure everything out on my own....

With that said, still had a good time, got beaten up some by hail until I figured out how to build a shelter. But outside that had a good time. visually it was beautiful. The controls were awkward, so I know it's going to take a good session to remap my G18 to work with it's controls.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Had a chance to play for a couple hours on the stress test. First time in and playing. And the Stress Test realm/server setups didn't have the starter tutorial so I had to figure everything out on my own....

With that said, still had a good time, got beaten up some by hail until I figured out how to build a shelter. But outside that had a good time. visually it was beautiful. The controls were awkward, so I know it's going to take a good session to remap my G18 to work with it's controls.
Seems to be the starting experience for most of these types of games for whatever reason. How hard is it to just go onto the street and flag people down to try and play your game and get feedback about the controls, at the very minimum?

I never had the chance to play, but I am following this one more closely. Its got some Conan Exile type of stuff in it that I want to see more of (giant monsters etc.).

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just started playing Enshrouded with 2 friends, it's pretty fun. Nice mix of survival and rpg but this is the one I'm really looking forward too.

First the world looks gorgeous, and I love the setting, and the gameplay loop seems interesting where you go into a realm and do survival stuff until you can build a portal to a different realm with different with different biomes, mobs, difficulty which you basically select with cards.

I find that intriguing, hopefully it works out well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
I applied for the beta tests and got in to 0 of them. This is one of the few games I really, really wanted to play and bummed I never got in. I'd read their news about pushing the game back, changing UI, changing building dynamics, etc because of beta feedback, but unfortunately pretty soured after certain games (NEW WORLD) literally paid money for some us to test and give feedback on and then DIDN'T USE ANY OF OUR SUGGESTIONS UNTIL 6 MONTHS AFTER THE GAME TOOK A SHIT. Super fucking frustrating. Some of these complaints about the UI and stuff I remember reading about months and months ago so that's a little disheartening.

Still looking forward to playing it and as long as they get the END GAME correct it should be a blast for a while. They've been semi-tight lipped on the end game play, but it sounded like increasingly difficult/variable missions a la Tiny Tina's Arenas type stuff, but with actual rewards to take back to your base.

But to be honest the real reason I wanted to play this game was because it had fucking Hill Giants. Take me to Rathe Mountains once more.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Does this game do anything different like meta progression? Or is it literally just survival game with portals to make you restart?

Xevy

Log Wizard
Why are they doing this? The only game I can think of is Last Epoch launching Feb 21st and I'm sure there's a lot of gamer overlap there, but it's not the same category. Seems a bit... weird. But I guess games releasing earlier than expect is better than being pushed further and further back. Especially since this game was supposed to release last August originally, if I recall.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Why are they doing this? The only game I can think of is Last Epoch launching Feb 21st and I'm sure there's a lot of gamer overlap there, but it's not the same category. Seems a bit... weird. But I guess games releasing earlier than expect is better than being pushed further and further back. Especially since this game was supposed to release last August originally, if I recall.

Maybe they're on the edge of bankruptcy

• 1Like

Caliane

really makes you wonder. Tax reasons? they want a couple extra days for the weekend crunch? "its a leap year?! shit, thats an extra day!"

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Wonder if my settings were hosed, I dont remember the demo looking nearly this nice. Felt like I had bloom at 5000. Then again, maybe some graphics settings weren't available in the demo build.

A lot of amazing shit in this. Feel like combat will be hit/miss for some. Doesn't look/feel as responsive as some more recent games with simpler systems.

Launch Twitch drops:

1708099479305.png

Can sync accounts up here - https://playnightingale.com/TwitchDrops

Last edited:

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Back in the closed Betas combat was a big complaint of mine. It felt slow, and seemed delayed in some aspects. Kid types were also sparse.

I want this to do well, hopefully that aspect got better.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Nightingale Pre Launch Updates

Some final updates going into Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to this. That said I'm hoping not to bounce off of it. Looks like this addresses some of the interface issues people complained about. While I got into the stress test I didn't really play it. I hate being loaded into a mid/max level character. I'm old, I need that tutorial. Especially in a massive survival crafting game.

I think originally this was planned as an MMO but pivoted. That could be cool or more likely, bad!

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Wonder if my settings were hosed, I dont remember the demo looking nearly this nice. Felt like I had bloom at 5000. Then again, maybe some graphics settings weren't available in the demo build.

A lot of amazing shit in this. Feel like combat will be hit/miss for some. Doesn't look/feel as responsive as some more recent games with simpler systems.

Launch Twitch drops:

View attachment 514805

Can sync accounts up here - Twitch Drops | Read More
The game is beautiful, the concept is amazing, the combat in that video looks absolutely terrible