Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If they'd had a good string of games spaced out to keep up hype, it would be fine despite all the other issues. If there were a new Mario game slated to come out this month or next, and maybe a Metroid or F-Zero in mid-to-late summer, followed up with a couple solid holiday releases, they'd be golden. More than any other software/hardware company, Nintendo lives or dies by its games, and they just completely shat the bed.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well in one of the tear downs the guy is like "uhh and fifth layer of thick thermal paste under here... Wow. I'm not sure this is a good setup, that's a lot of layers of copper and paste to dissipate heat through."

Guess he were right.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This launch was nothing but a disaster and a warning to not bring "Early access" diguised as a full system launch into the gaming market as software did.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Wonder if it really would have been a break even in terms of $$ if Nintendo just called up Samsung "Yo, make us this" vs them building it in house - I understand that if they had another company make it they never get over the hill in console $$ as they eventually would with building it in house.

These issues are very common for first time tablet / phone makers - bends, cracks, heat issues - high price to spec ratio - etc. etc.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So played around with one for a couple days, not really impressed that dock is the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen from nintendo my tablet does better.... pack it up nintendo I'm done with your garbage.

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Dock is crap... It feels like they melted down old Happy Meal toys to build it. I still like my Switch, the kids love it, and Zelda is great. Let's talk about the real problem though. We would forgive all of this if their line up looked anything like this...

The Top 25 SNES Games Of All Time

Pick any 8-10 of these you want and make their sequel or whatever and you got it. Heck you could have picked any 3-5 of those and put them with the rest of it and it would be awesome. Nintendo has never really had good launch titles but they recover fairly quickly. There's nothing worth a nickel in the foreseeable future.

Given their situation, regardless if they see/admit to it or not, they should have opened the gates with Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, F-Zero, StarFox (a good one), Metroid, and anything else.

It's obvious their bread and butter are their exclusives and their classics. Just look at BotW and their Retro Console. Either they're ignorant, out of touch, or both. It's never been hard for Nintendo to make money and be the main attraction. They simply choose not to be.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yep. So much these people could do even with the crappy switch that was just launched. Put those exclusives on launch day, launch with VC and tie in past purchases so people do not have to buy the old games again, and this thing would have sold like hot cakes for the next 3 years minimum.

Stupid is, stupid does.

Siliconemelons

I do not know Nintendo's corporate workings - if they have the staff or whatever... but they just do not seem to be able produce games at the rate they used to...

We have gotten carry over Zelda's for the past few consoles - hence the duel console releases TP/BOTW - and WindWaker is still considered a "filler" and Skyward Sword was less than stellar after the long wait - at least BOTW has been amazing - although if you think about it - it is the opposite of WindWaker...

People did not like WW because there was no world really, just islands and those where places of interest - a filler - or a dungeon... people loved it for the art, story and dungeons - flip that narrative with BOTW - a huge world but no dungeons and only poi's fetch quests and small "islands" or shrines as filler...

SkywardSword had all the issues, no real world - just jumping up and down from land to skyhub trying to muddle through the plot while dealing with "how the fuck did they make a sword more annoying than navi OR MINDA?"

Hopefully with BOTW they can keep that engine and make good DLC and make another main title Zelda game within 2 years or less. Same with Mario - because their dev time has been so long they keep having to reinvent the wheel to make one to get out the gate and then start over for the next cycle.

If nintendo is (and dont...plz) thinking of VR, metroid plz - metroid prime on oculus seem like it is almost worth the price of the setup :)

Siliconemelons

Oh I know it exists - I mean - I would have to buy a rift FOR that... and its almost worth it :)

Every version of dolphin and its integration with oculus makes it better and better - I haven't checked on the project in a while - but I bet they are up to a practically 60fps 720p up-scaled and hi rez texture pack working perfect with 0 lag head tracking.

• 1Like

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Mine isn't warped. Checked it with my phone's leveling tool. Also, Mario Kart is later this month. You guys do realize the system is barely a month old, right?

As for the bending thing, we don't even know if it's widespread. That's the thing about stuff like this. The people who have systems that are working fine won't go to the internet to say it's working fine. You'll only hear about the ones that aren't working fine. Just something to keep in mind.

It's unfortunately one of the risks of buying at launch, though. It's not exclusive to the Switch. PS2 had massive problems, Xbox 360 had an ungodly issue that didn't even show up until two years later, etc. This isn't new and it won't be the last time.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Mine isn't warped. Checked it with my phone's leveling tool. Also, Mario Kart is later this month. You guys do realize the system is barely a month old, right?

As for the bending thing, we don't even know if it's widespread. That's the thing about stuff like this. The people who have systems that are working fine won't go to the internet to say it's working fine. You'll only hear about the ones that aren't working fine. Just something to keep in mind.

It's unfortunately one of the risks of buying at launch, though. It's not exclusive to the Switch. PS2 had massive problems, Xbox 360 had an ungodly issue that didn't even show up until two years later, etc. This isn't new and it won't be the last time.

Well, yeah, but everything else about the console sucks so there is that too! :p

• 1Smuggly

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I bet that the warping issue is from inadequate cooling measures taken specifically when in the dock, that area is were the Battery,SOC, and the connectors for the screens power(even though the screen is suppose to be off while in dock, I bet the system still sends some power to it as a standby mode)

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk

Mario Kart doesn't really count as a hype builder, since it's basically just a re-release (with a couple new things?) from the Wii U. Great if you never had a Wii U, but certainly not great for everyone. Even if I had a Switch, I wouldn't bother re-buying Mario Kart. Now, if it were an entirely new Mario Kart, that would be something to get hyped up about. They really should have had a fresh Mario Kart ready to go this spring/summer. The fact that it's a rehash just shows how rushed all of this was.

• 1Like

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I bet that the warping issue is from inadequate cooling measures taken specifically when in the dock, that area is were the Battery,SOC, and the connectors for the screens power(even though the screen is suppose to be off while in dock, I bet the system still sends some power to it as a standby mode)

Someone on GAF made a big post about this. Someone that worked in the industry that makes these sort of products chimed in, and says it's not heat that's causing the bend.

NeoGAF

As for Mario Kart, true that it's a re-release. But it's a re-release from a system no one bought. So if you re-release a game from a system no one bought, is it truly a re-release? :p All jokes aside, they're adding on to battle mode, as well as adding the ability to have two items at once, and some extra characters. It was the biggest Mario Kart ever released when it was released on Wii U, it's even bigger now. As to why they didn't have a new Mario Kart ready, it's because the Mario Kart team is working on ARMS and Splatoon 2.

I also expect a Smash Bros 4 Deluxe announcement at E3 and it'll release with the Bayonetta and Cloud Amiibos. Believe it. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Wii U exclusives got re-released. It would be stupid for them not to.

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
But it's a re-release from a system no one bought.

Yet sold 8.26 million copies :)

2 million, if that, own a Switch. Most likely the same exact people that went out and bought a Wii U that already play this game. The same group of people who played basically this same game on their portable 3DS.

This won't be a system seller. Zelda was, and that has already sold way more copies on the Wii U than Switch (Given)

Splatoon 2 sucks. Most all feedback is negative. And people are trying to hype of Bomberman. Seriously.

Bomberman.

The N-Fans are going to great lengths to soften their buyers remorse these days. Hey I guess you can buy Binding of Isaac and Shovel Knight again though for double the price it sells for anywhere else, including the 3DS versions with no difference what so ever in the gameplay or graphical ramps.