Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Exactly why Nintendo has its head firmly in it's ass. And why I won't pay them again three times over for nostalgia which they are living off of with shit design decisions lately.

Course if you are in the industry and in the office playing this, I can see your point? But for anyone else, the majority playing at home, just emulate the games we already paid for God knows how many times now.

Siliconemelons

its not a 1ft cable, its like 3 or 4, still short- but you kinda want the little nes box near you because of how save states work.

And all these games are not abandon ware, that's why they get re-released all the time to keep the copyright and IP current- there was a change some time ago that the medium has to be the same (in general) also- because "oh its available to download for $ on this random site" was not cutting the mustard to keep a game from going abandonware - thus this is a physical medium and thus the same as what the game was orig released on - keeping it all current.

But has anyone ever gotten in trouble for roms lol?

This is for the interface, I want it for my kids to play - if it was for me alone I would just make a rpi box and throw everything on it and call it a day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I was going to grab one of these for my sister's kids, but for the price of the system, extension cords, another controller I can just buy them a second 3DS.

In other news, Emily Rogers, who has been on the money when it comes to Switch info, is claiming Zelda won't be ready at launch and will be a summer release. Apparently Nintendo underestimated how much time localization would take.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I was going to grab one of these for my sister's kids, but for the price of the system, extension cords, another controller I can just buy them a second 3DS.

In other news, Emily Rogers, who has been on the money when it comes to Switch info, is claiming Zelda won't be ready at launch and will be a summer release. Apparently Nintendo underestimated how much time localization would take.

No surprise there, Nintendo just find out about the Interconnected Networks and how to use it in games like last year.

Also, that $250 price point to start isn't bad if it's true. That calls into question where the 3DS (well, Game Boy in general) goes from there. One Christmas later they will be $200 and then that's decidedly 3DS price territory.

Last edited:

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
No surprise their, Nintendo just find out about the Interconnected Networks and how to use it in games like last year.

Also, that $250 price point to start isn't bad if it's true. That calls into question where the 3DS (well, Game Boy in general) goes from there. One Christmas later they will be $200 and then that's decidedly 3DS price territory.

Well the newer 3DS is $99 this holiday season

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
The point of the NX is there will be no more Gameboy line- the NX filled both segments.

Well that would be a mistake if true. It's far too big and it's battery life too short to replace a traditional handheld. However, I've been hearing rumors that there will be a smaller, more portable, version released later that will replace the DS/3DS. Either way, this NX version isn't replacing anything but the U.

Siliconemelons

I agree that there needs to be an actual fully "portable" size - this replaces the handheld for many who never actually travel with their Gameboy... I play mine all in my home.

However the system will just be a smaller NX - there won't be two platforms- so they won't be making a game for portable and console etc. It's all nx

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I agree with Rafterman that if that is going to be their strategy moving forward, they will bite themselves in the ass. I can see what they may be trying to do here, and that is use the portable success of the Gameboy to recapture the living room market and still maintain the sales of their portable and equalize the two thinking that consolidation will bring the success of the portable back into homes. Also, one platform to develop software for that fills both portable and home. Here is the thing. As Xadion mentioned above, he already plays his portable in his house. (As a lot of us do) and very rarely am I ever playing mine aside from in my bed or just want to fart around. Not to mention the portable piece of the NX is a horrible design for a portable. But when I do take it with me when I travel, it's very easy to use, comfortable, and a solid design. The switch portable is not. (From the specs we have seen)

As usual, I think this is going to bite Nintendo in the ass, and as a result, they will see the home console sale stagnate as it has been, and they will shoot themselves in the ass by not making a new Gameboy and counting on the NX to make up for it/equalize. Therefore, flatlining in the home console market, and losing tremendous ground in the portable market.

By the way, phones suck for video games that need actual controls. This industry cannot see that the phone market with games is successful because the games are not geared or designed the same way 3DS/Analog controlled games are. Those games don't sell for shit on the phone. Smartphones opened up a new smartphone gaming genre (Point and click, candy crush shit, etc) and those games generate the most revenue. Those are also games that no one buys a 3DS for, and the market shows that.

Sometimes I wonder if some of the folks in this industry have half a brain cell left by staring at spreadsheets for the last 10 years, but not understanding what the spreadsheet is really telling them.

Siliconemelons

I think they will need another form factor that will be the one used by die hard portable people- but I think it will be "the same" as the NX err switch whatever. They want to consolidate all their game makers to work only on 1 thing = more games, better quality etc. so all the games ARE portable and ARE console etc.

I agree the switch as it is, is too big for a 100% portable gamer person that drags their 3ds everywhere and is always on the go etc... but look at the XL's people loved them- and if they even MADE them shows there was a market to people that wanted something big- and that's mostly for at home play.

I like the idea, lets see if they actually hit home on it and do it right.

Also "portable" games tend to be cheaper than consoles - so maybe the Switch can have a more spread pricing on games etc.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Also "portable" games tend to be cheaper than consoles - so maybe the Switch can have a more spread pricing on games etc.

Yeah you know that isn't going to happen. And that's something I haven't thought of. Right now 3DS games are around 29-39. Yeah you get portable and console, but also now you will be paying $59. There is NO way they are giving a break to the customer on the price of the game and pass the lower cost of development on to the customer.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Yeah you know that isn't going to happen. And that's something I haven't thought of. Right now 3DS games are around 29-39. Yeah you get portable and console, but also now you will be paying $59. There is NO way they are giving a break to the customer on the price of the game and pass the lower cost of development on to the customer.

Hopefully they tier that shit out. Some things aren't $59.99 worthy.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Hopefully they tier that shit out. Some things aren't $59.99 worthy.

Oh, you know they won't. Those portable cross overs will still be $59.99 and they will justify the price as saying, "You can now play ANYWHERE!"

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure the real $$$ play here is 'NX' new and pretty, not so portable.

Later

more portable 'NX' but guess what, buy all the games again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
This thread being brought up after more than two weeks without anything new just sums up Nintendo strategy.

"Let's announce something, and then do absolutely nothing for 2 months, and by nothing I mean zero communication, nada, zilch."

Siliconemelons

If Nintendo does not have NES Classics commonly on the shelf in about 1-2 weeks they are seriously showing fail

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If Nintendo does not have NES Classics commonly on the shelf in about 1-2 weeks they are seriously showing fail

Yeah its a joke these things are still $250+ on the secondary market. Nintendo just needs to flood the market with these things. If they aren't readily available for Christmas then Nintendo is just allergic to money.