Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I get that it may be very application based. For example, if you want to play a ton of indie games on the road and do not own a 3DS-XL, it's right up your alley. The battery life on games such as Skyrim and Zelda (And anything else powerful) will max out the life of the batrry on a full charge anywhere from 2.5-3 hours max. That probably isn't a big deal to a lot of folks. I never could play a portable game longer than an hour anyway.

However, 3rd party support will still be non-existent no matter what they throw up on a splash screen when people find more value from a portable system in their 3DS-XL. Which I am guessing most will, and sales plummet for the Switch forcing 3rd party to abandoned it. It won't be good for anyone.

Nintendo should just give it up, call it a day, and start releasing their first party titles on more powerful hardware and forget about the home console market forever. Their way of thinking is completely backwards, which is fine, as LONG as you maintain value add standards of products and services in every piece of hardware out there in the market from over 4 years ago. Which they are not doing either. And that right there is the twist of the knife.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Massive latency like that doesn't sound like something that can be fixed with a software update.

Why? Given that the apparent cause is distance/LoS, there's almost certainly a signal strength problem with the latency coming from the interpretation of communication gaps. Unless they're retarded (a possibility) this should be something easily fixable in software by upping amplification at the cost of battery life.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Why? Given that the apparent cause is distance/LoS, there's almost certainly a signal strength problem with the latency coming from the interpretation of communication gaps. Unless they're retarded (a possibility) this should be something easily fixable in software by upping amplification.
Why wouldn't the signal strength be maxed out to begin with?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Why wouldn't the signal strength be maxed out to begin with?

Because it's unnecessary if you're playing in the non-dock configurations, since you'd be connected to or really close to the tablet and would want the joy-con battery life maximized. Unless there's something exotic going on there's no such thing as a "maxed out" signal short of the power level at which you start to melt the circuitry. It's just a power/battery life tradeoff where you need more juice to overcome the 1/R^2.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I get that it may be very application based. For example, if you want to play a ton of indie games on the road and do not own a 3DS-XL, it's right up your alley. The battery life on games such as Skyrim and Zelda (And anything else powerful) will max out the life of the batrry on a full charge anywhere from 2.5-3 hours max. That probably isn't a big deal to a lot of folks. I never could play a portable game longer than an hour anyway.

However, 3rd party support will still be non-existent no matter what they throw up on a splash screen when people find more value from a portable system in their 3DS-XL. Which I am guessing most will, and sales plummet for the Switch forcing 3rd party to abandoned it. It won't be good for anyone.

Nintendo should just give it up, call it a day, and start releasing their first party titles on more powerful hardware and forget about the home console market forever. Their way of thinking is completely backwards, which is fine, as LONG as you maintain value add standards of products and services in every piece of hardware out there in the market from over 4 years ago. Which they are not doing either. And that right there is the twist of the knife.

Not that I disagree with anything you've said about the system, but I got a call that my Switch is in and can be picked up at midnight tomorrow (as long as I pay it off fully in advance first. Glad the guy called me), and he told me it's a good thing that I preordered it, because as of last night, they already have people camping out to buy one on Friday. I think this system is going to sell more than people believe it's going to, at least initially. Plus, if Nintendo gets their heads out of their asses and gets the VC part down pat, this thing is going to really take off. The entire Nintendo library on one system? holy fuck yes, please!

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
What's the tldr

TLDR is you were replying joycons lose their connectivity due to weak signal which was designed that way due to heat and battery concerns. Video states heat isn't an issue and battery lasts 3 hours on AAA games but charges fast. So. Really nothing to see because I would hope they wouldn't have heat or battery concerns when forcing a blue tooth signal to 7ft.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
TLDR is you were replying joycons lose their connectivity due to weak signal which was designed that way due to heat and battery concerns. Video states heat isn't an issue and battery lasts 3 hours on AAA games but charges fast. So. Really nothing to see because I would hope they wouldn't have heat or battery concerns when forcing a blue tooth signal to 7ft.
look at the digital foundry video, he explains all that in detail. Even about the joycons disconnecting.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sorry my theory was they limited power given to Bluetooth (or is it something else ) to keep it at a power/thermal profile they wanted. Wasn't saying it currently had those issues stock.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
It works, it's not fantastic and if you want a tablet that will play Nintendo games eventually then you may buy one.

Sounds reasonable. Don't think that's too far off from what most expected given Nintendo's track record and the hardware.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Fuck, seems friend codes are back. Hopefully just temporarily until they get their online stuff ready. The Wii U doesn't even use them anymore.

• 1Like